LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

1 hour ago, KZJonny said:

Don’t mean to be cheeky, but is the Perrin unit considered so much better than say, the Grimmspeed one, that the same price for a used/hacked one is a deal over brand new in box +splitter, new hoses, etc…

No idea, but I doubt you're getting a grimmspeed one for $100 ?

Splitter is easy to make, already have hoses...etc..  Poor fitting knockoff tmics seem to be going for $300 + shipping

40 minutes ago, pksystems said:

No idea, but I doubt you're getting a grimmspeed one for $100 ?

Splitter is easy to make, already have hoses...etc..  Poor fitting knockoff tmics seem to be going for $300 + shipping

Aha! Sorry. I read that on my phone, and at that size it the 100USD turned into $1000.

The old U/O switcheroo.

Nvmd the above!

Reminds me I have a GS TMIC kit minus the splitter since it fell apart that will go up for sale soon.

Also some Madrig carbon bits. Snorkus and belt guard.

Still have a cobb BOV and three port boost controller out there but haven't had much interest or bumped it for a long time.

Finally settling this tune has me looking forward to clearing out the garage of bits that will not go back on the car.

22 hours ago, Febreze Mee said:

Also curious.

Got the goods

CC197A83-F7AC-4A00-9F41-E0CD98346A70.jpeg

@Febreze MeeI bought a few of these a while back but they wouldn't fit with the Killer B headers. Doing oil changes is a royal PITA with these headers. But, I wanted to share the fancy oil filters I recently got as well. 

I did a quick weight comparison between the OEM blue, RCM and Mazda filter. The OEM blue and RCM have identical dimensions. The Mazda filter is quite a bit taller. After I run one of the RCM filters, I'll cut it open to see how they look inside. I haven't seen one cut open before. 

OEM blue - 156g

RCM - 231g

Mazda - 232g

IMG_1641.jpg

IMG_1644.jpg

IMG_1645.jpg

IMG_1646.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 12/6/2022 at 8:42 AM, xt2005bonbon said:

Rhino, what's the update with your engine?

23 hours ago, Febreze Mee said:

Also curious.

Got the goods

CC197A83-F7AC-4A00-9F41-E0CD98346A70.jpeg

I haven't put it back together yet. I have everything (new oil cooler too) but haven't had the time. Maybe this Sunday I can try.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cheeseenlo said:

@Febreze MeeI bought a few of these a while back but they wouldn't fit with the Killer B headers. Doing oil changes is a royal PITA with these headers. But, I wanted to share the fancy oil filters I recently got as well. 

I did a quick weight comparison between the OEM blue, RCM and Mazda filter. The OEM blue and RCM have identical dimensions. The Mazda filter is quite a bit taller. After I run one of the RCM filters, I'll cut it open to see how they look inside. I haven't seen one cut open before. 

OEM blue - 156g

RCM - 231g

Mazda - 232g

IMG_1641.jpg

IMG_1644.jpg

IMG_1645.jpg

IMG_1646.jpg

That’s interesting. I’ve got room for the Tokyo Roki filter with my Killer B, and I’m just able to slide on a Thermal Zero heat blanket on it as well.

Minor differences in production?? I’d have assumed that whatever jig they use would have been more accurate than that. Strange.

Edited by KZJonny

1 hour ago, KZJonny said:

That’s interesting. I’ve got room for the Tokyo Roki filter with my Killer B, and I’m just able to slide on a Thermal Zero heat blanket on it as well.

Minor differences in production?? I’d have assumed that whatever jig they use would have been more accurate than that. Strange.

It's definitely minor differences in production. I know when I installed mine I needed a crowbar to get it to line up with the studs. I also deleted my factory oil cooler and have a Mocal oil sandwich plate with spacer. At the time I wasn't able to find the correct length filter stud to work without the spacer. If anyone here knows, that would be great so I could get rid of the spacer altogether. 

Also - shop tore the motor apart and found both front cylinders with crowns cracked. They suspect I had unnoticed ringland failure and the motor had enough on the dyno. It's odd to have not noticed any symptoms of ringland failure especially to two pistons prior. They even mentioned, its unusual to see two pistons fail simultaneously. Some pictures of the piston carnage. 

IMG_1634.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/1/2022 at 8:18 PM, Febreze Mee said:

Hmm...def start there. If the knuckle looks fine, it's more than likely fine. The only other things I could things of would be inner tie rods, and if you have a strut tower bar —making sure it's tight at the top hats and at the adjustment points as the bar can run really tight against firewall pinch weld. Let us know what changes after you grease the end links. 

Ended up being the lateral locks for my whiteline fsb.  I'm guessing the suspension geometry changed slightly with the new ball joint and was causing it to creak on the passenger side.

On 12/2/2022 at 5:10 PM, SoobyDoobyDoo said:

How’s it ride with minis and H&Rs? That’s frustrating to hear creaks with new stuff installed. A friend bought a Q5 and replaced the entire front end to chase down a creak. Turned out to be loose subframe bolts (all of them). Hopefully you can figure out what’s going on…

I love the ride and feel of the koni/h&r's.  Ride quality is a touch stiffer than stock but nothing jarring or unbearable.  The roads here in Ct are terrible but they seem to take it well. 

Car feels more planted and has less body roll through ther twisties.  Also greatly reduced the squat and dive. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, cheeseenlo said:

OEM blue - 156g

RCM - 231g

Mazda - 232g

IMG_1641.jpg

IMG_1644.jpg

IMG_1645.jpg

IMG_1646.jpg

Weight matters not.  Bypass rating MATTERS!  Subies, especially force inducted, run very high oil pressures that exceeds many oil filter bypass ratings.  If you use a filter with a bypass rating too low, your filter never gets used.

Pay attention to whats important.  Otherwise, dont use a filter at all. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, m sprank said:

Weight matters not.  Bypass rating MATTERS!  Subies, especially force inducted, run very high oil pressures that exceeds many oil filter bypass ratings.  If you use a filter with a bypass rating too low, your filter never gets used.

Pay attention to whats important.  Otherwise, dont use a filter at all. 

Agreed 100%. It was merely a non-scientific comparison between each one. Could the weight contribute to better filtration, possibly. Only way to find out is to cut it open, which I might do now. I'll see if RCM can share their oil pressure bypass rating. Based on their website's description of the product, they have produced this with higher oil pressure in mind. 

[UPDATE - RCM provide the techs specs. Bypass is set at 1.7KG/cm or 24psi based on conversion calculator]

Our first job was to ascertain exactly what we needed from our new filter in order to cover the needs of today’s modern performance engines. Filtration was obviously on the top of the list, a sustainable high quality filter element would be needed capable of trapping dirt and debris but whilst not restricting oil flow any more than necessary. Our next consideration was oil pressure; if we could obtain slightly higher oil pressure this would almost certainly be a good advantage given Subaru’s “boxer” engine design and the need to circulate oil efficiently. Next was build quality, we needed a filter that would perform over and above our expectations with no compromising on the quality of materials.

With our goal set in our sights it was time to speak with our friends in Japan. Long standing experts in oil filter manufacture and with a long history of producing high quality automotive components, it didn’t take long before testing and design was underway.

Some months later the “RCM Race oil filter” a component designed to overachieve in all areas of performance and quality was born. Containing the largest area of filter element when compared to its competitors our oil filter will not only cleanse your oil of dirt, debris and contamination but it will also offer you the distinct advantage of higher oil pressure.

Edited by cheeseenlo
RCM tech specs update
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Looked at the car today, that's about all I've done to it in the past 2 months. Just been way to busy between work and our 8 month old daughter. Still haven't finished the e-tuning but turbo and clutch break-in is done so at least that's out of the way. Really need to try and carve out some time to log if we get a streak of warmer/nicer weather.

Did receive notice that the wagon's Xmas gift (all pieces not pictured) has landed stateside from Poland 🇵🇱. Already bought the plumbing and face plate from the auctions to add the rear air vent. Now I just need to hunt for the red LED cupholders and order some red stitched boots.

IMG_20221209_144824_579.jpg

• Like 4

On 12/7/2022 at 5:39 PM, BoozeRS05 said:

I’ve been tempted to pick up a madrig snorkus lately. Does it fit with an aftermarket radiator shroud (AVO)?

Can't speak for fitment with the AVO but he does make a cf radiator shroud (few different versions) that pairs very nicely with the snorkel.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 1:05 PM, Enlight said:

According to this thread on BITOG the Subaru and Mazda filters have the same bypass pressure.

They do.  Thats why I recommended the Mazda Tokyo-Roki filters when there was a problem with the OEM filters. I have no experience with RCM filters.  

Just be careful and mindful of the bypass rating. The best filter is the one that works and gets changed regularly.  Same goes for oil.  3500-4000 miles always worked well with Subies for me.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hey all - sad to say it but the time has come for me to part ways with my Legacy. The car sits way more than it should and frankly I need to move beyond my attachment to it. It's an understatement to say it has been a great car to drive for the past 16 years (!!!) and I have loved being a part of this community. I'd love for it to go to someone with the same passion for the platform, and will be making a sale thread in the classifieds. If you know anyone who has been looking for an exceptionally clean, original-owner, sub 90k mile 2006 LGT 5spd,  I'd appreciate you pointing them my way.

IMG_2658.jpg

IMG_4100.jpg

IMG_2404.jpg

IMG_4046.jpg

IMG_3042.jpg

IMG_2403.jpg

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

Hey all - sad to say it but the time has come for me to part ways with my Legacy. The car sits way more than it should and frankly I need to move beyond my attachment to it. It's an understatement to say it has been a great car to drive for the past 16 years (!!!) and I have loved being a part of this community. I'd love for it to go to someone with the same passion for the platform, and will be making a sale thread in the classifieds. If you know anyone who has been looking for an exceptionally clean, original-owner, sub 90k mile 2006 LGT 5spd,  I'd appreciate you pointing them my way.

IMG_2658.jpg

IMG_4100.jpg

IMG_2404.jpg

IMG_4046.jpg

IMG_3042.jpg

IMG_2403.jpg

I think you will be regretting it :hide:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Underdog said:

IMG_2658.jpg

IMG_4100.jpg

IMG_2404.jpg

IMG_4046.jpg

IMG_3042.jpg

IMG_2403.jpg

sad day!  mine is still sitting :hide: ... almost had it sold this summer for pennies, but it didn't pan out...

how much for yours? ;)