LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Oh my car leaks everything, it’s got almost 200k miles on the OE unit! I’m just trying to join that club and then blow it up. Once that happens I’ll start all over - have another motor, turbo and backup 5mt, but I’ll push it across that 200k line first.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, BoozeRS05 said:

Oh my car leaks everything, it’s got almost 200k miles on the OE unit! I’m just trying to join that club and then blow it up. Once that happens I’ll start all over - have another motor, turbo and backup 5mt, but I’ll push it across that 200k line first.

Exactly what I did once mine hit 200k. 

Installed Moog swaybar end links.  While in there I noticed the LCA bushings are on their way out.  But even so, driving around with only the links replaced really quieted it down.

Also installed the Diode Dynamics SmartTap flasher unit.  So happy to have the tap-then-4-flashes for lane changes.  Then installed some Lasfit LED blinker and brake light units.  The bulbs were starting to dim and needed replacing anyways.

I know these cars don't last forever, but I'll keep taking care of mine (130k miles) as long as I can.

Edited by SilentJ20
  • Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 10:16 AM, Max Capacity said:

I believe it's just the dust shield, not the backing plate its self.  You don't really need that piece of the puzzle.

Just noticed your signature. Is the wagon sold? I'll miss seeing it on here in all it's rusty glory :(

Painted downpipe with VHT Flameproof paint, wrapped it in DEI Titanium lava exhaust wrap, and then sealed it with DEI Hi-temp Silicone coating.  The carbon weave look was nice, but this is a daily driver that will see snow/rain so I want to try and keep moisture out of the wrap.  I wrapped it all the way till it cleared the transmission.

Played around with the translucent red powder coat again.  Alternator cover bracket (I think)  I don't actually have a cover.  You can't just let the part cool after applying the chrome basecoat.  The powder just won't stick without exposed metal, so I had to hot flock the part again.  My first attempt I put too much red on, which covered up the reflective chrome underneath.  Very light coat of red until it starts to look like red, instead of pink.  The camera doesn't do this color justice, but I think this will work as accents with the Garnet red pearl. :)

310055427_676959537199042_7768328852478540864_n.jpg

314370336_638024124468578_5537698040696448402_n.jpg

314485315_2163449070493369_1851369256916137163_n.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pleides said:

Just noticed your signature. Is the wagon sold? I'll miss seeing it on here in all it's rusty glory :(

Yes, it's gone.

We will be picking up a 2023 Nissan Rogue SV on Monday. It's an 18-month lease for her to drive. I'll be taking the 18' Outback 3.6R to VT for skiing this winter. We bought the 3.6R new Oct 2017, it's about to roll 29,500 miles.

We miss the wagon too. But after the tranny broke again, I was done putting money into it. I really didn't want to drive it or the Spec B to VT every week.

• Like 2

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

3 hours ago, pksystems said:

Painted downpipe with VHT Flameproof paint, wrapped it in DEI Titanium lava exhaust wrap, and then sealed it with DEI Hi-temp Silicone coating.  The carbon weave look was nice, but this is a daily driver that will see snow/rain so I want to try and keep moisture out of the wrap.  I wrapped it all the way till it cleared the transmission.

Played around with the translucent red powder coat again.  Alternator cover bracket (I think)  I don't actually have a cover.  You can't just let the part cool after applying the chrome basecoat.  The powder just won't stick without exposed metal, so I had to hot flock the part again.  My first attempt I put too much red on, which covered up the reflective chrome underneath.  Very light coat of red until it starts to look like red, instead of pink.  The camera doesn't do this color justice, but I think this will work as accents with the Garnet red pearl. :)

310055427_676959537199042_7768328852478540864_n.jpg

314370336_638024124468578_5537698040696448402_n.jpg

314485315_2163449070493369_1851369256916137163_n.jpg

Just a heads up, that heat wrap as been shown to hold in moisture and rust the pipe.  The $114 metal heatshield that clamps around the pipe near the CV boot is a better option.

DSCN9751.JPG

DSCN9753.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

2 hours ago, Max Capacity said:

Yes, it's gone.

We will be picking up a 2023 Nissan Rogue SV on Monday. It's an 18-month lease for her to drive. I'll be taking the 18' Outback 3.6R to VT for skiing this winter. We bought the 3.6R new Oct 2017, it's about to roll 29,500 miles.

We miss the wagon too. But after the tranny broke again, I was done putting money into it. I really didn't want to drive it or the Spec B to VT every week.

Gosh, sorry to hear the transmission went kaput. Ya lose a shifter fork again? This is all news to me.

At least you still have the Spec B, right?

15 hours ago, Pleides said:

Gosh, sorry to hear the transmission went kaput. Ya lose a shifter fork again? This is all news to me.

At least you still have the Spec B, right?

Not sure, but most likely...both shift forks were new 27 months ago and some 12,000 miles... the car had 1st,2nd and reverse, no 3rd, 4th or 5th.

Yes, the Spec B is running fine as it always has. The Q300 mufflers are getting a bit on the loud side. I recently replaced the 3M clear bra kit on it and had buddies body shop do some paint touch up.

• Like 2

On 11/4/2022 at 11:40 PM, SilentJ20 said:

Installed Moog swaybar end links.  While in there I noticed the LCA bushings are on their way out.  But even so, driving around with only the links replaced really quieted it down.

Also installed the Diode Dynamics SmartTap flasher unit.  So happy to have the tap-then-4-flashes for lane changes.  Then installed some Lasfit LED blinker and brake light units.  The bulbs were starting to dim and needed replacing anyways.

I know these cars don't last forever, but I'll keep taking care of mine (130k miles) as long as I can.

That caught my interest, so I looked up their microcontroller. Neat looking unit.

Seems a little spendy to me for what you’re getting, but I would appreciate a tap to signal feature and being able to get a little brighter LED light for turns would be nice as well. (Already tried before, and got hyperflash, should have known better.) Not trying to modernize the car much, but I’ll add safety equipment all day.

Thanks for mentioning that piece.

3 hours ago, KZJonny said:

That caught my interest, so I looked up their microcontroller. Neat looking unit.

Seems a little spendy to me for what you’re getting, but I would appreciate a tap to signal feature and being able to get a little brighter LED light for turns would be nice as well. (Already tried before, and got hyperflash, should have known better.) Not trying to modernize the car much, but I’ll add safety equipment all day.

Thanks for mentioning that piece.

The flasher unit is a bit spendy, but it dramatically simplifies everything else.  On my prev daily, 2007 Saab 9-3, changing any exterior light to an LED would be a nightmare (some combo of resistors & mechanical relays to satisfy CANBUS and the built-in filament health sensors).  So, when I saw how easy this flasher made it for this car, I impulse-purchased.  Also, shop around.  Most places sell it for $90, but I found it for $60 eventually.

You could probably find a LED-friendly non-smart flasher for less, but I love having the tap signal.  The LED thing was part safety, part aesthetics and part reliability.  The range of LEDs is crazy, though.  Morimoto and Diode Dynamics make some top tier stuff, and there's TONS of cheap no-name stuff.  Lasfit seems to find a happy medium.  Not had any problems with them yet.

On 11/9/2022 at 4:40 AM, Smithcraft said:

Finally remembered to change the time.

It's kinda hard to remember which menus to dig through on the Nav to get to setting the time!

SC

yeah, isn't it amazing how those engineers can make something so common, a PITA.

Well, I have to fess up. A few minutes ago, I just went out and set the clock in the Spec back one hour. It really wasn't that hard, push menu button, then the Nav set up, I think it was, then set clock. I did have to start the car after going back to the normal screen, to get it to update on that screen.