LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

The Liqui Moly suggestion helps a lot. I will consider for the future. Thanks you!

I just picked up 5qts of Redline 75w90NS. I do have 3qts of Redline Lightweight Shockproof, if anyone things they could use them, I'll sell them for what the $20/bottle and I'll cover shopping. Probably not going to make a thread for it, so you're hearing it now.

MILKRUN  - Click Here

24 minutes ago, Pleides said:

Tomorrow my car will have done the distance between earth and the moon. How should I celebrate?

Maybe take a ride on Jeff Bezos rocket...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

1 hour ago, Pleides said:

Tomorrow my car will have done the distance between earth and the moon. How should I celebrate?

Were you the one who pointed that out to me when I posted my wagon turned 242,000 miles ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

5 hours ago, Max Capacity said:

Were you the one who pointed that out to me when I posted my wagon turned 242,000 miles ?

I don't think so. Unless you hit 242 relatively recently. Can't remember exactly when I joined the forum but you retired maybe a year after I joined here and your car was just under 300K then.

On 11/19/2022 at 12:45 PM, Pleides said:

Surely there's an option for distance traveled to moon in those little Subaru activities badges. 

Changing oil today. I love how it's the little details that draw my eye to this car. On the flip side, it's details like cracking paint or failing rubber that drive me insane. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, xt2005bonbon said:

Black friday or Cyber monday deals. Perfect time! I want to buy a 20T press and a MIG welder.

Go get that MIG. You'll love it.
I got this one a few years ago, and unless you envision MIG welding aluminium, it's frikking great.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200482378_200482378

Free shipping! I'm in no way associated with Hobart, and my TIG is just a Chinese thing, but getting Miller parts at that price is pretty crazy. I had the chance to grab up a display Hobart EZ TIg from my local Princess Auto. Never did pull the trigger on that, and I'm kicking myself for not. I really like the little Everlast TIG I bought, but for about the same money I could have had something a little nicer and easier to use. My loss.

Edit: Sorry, I lied. I got the Handler 140. The smaller brother to that one.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200471413_200471413

Does all I need it to do, and on a 20A/120V circuit. If I really need to work on thicker metal, I'll use the stick welding function of my TIG welder and spend some time cleaning up spatter. That said, I haven't come across anything automotive yet that has needed more than a 2 pass weld with the little MIG.

Edited by KZJonny
  • Thanks 1

On 11/16/2022 at 8:24 PM, Kojak said:

Didn’t realize there were STI stainless lines. Sexy. 

On topic, checking oil at a fill-up last week resulted in a new bugaboo: hood wouldn’t fully latch closed. It shut, and held for a necessary 70 mile roundtrip over a prominent area bridge to work this weekend but I thought I was due for a new latch at least and likely a new release cable. Looking up replacement how-to’s brought up a YT clip I figured I’d share: rubbing alcohol. Sprayed it down thoroughly  w a mist and the lower clasp grabbed again. Just seized from age and wear. Cable releasing just fine as well. Saved a lot of time and frustration. If anyone faces similar, esp in cold climes, try this first. Worked like a charm for me. 

I used WD-40 last winter for the same thing.  Just needed some lubing.

5 minutes ago, xt2005bonbon said:

Thanks for the link. Will look into this one. Was thinking of getting the Everlast cyclone 200ES. Thoughts?

If, like me, you are generally in the DIY category of needs for a welder, then I'd say go for it. That has some nice specs and aside from not coming with a stick holder (which is cheap), and a bottle or mixed gas looks like a pretty good price to me.

You could start right away with flux core, or be smart and look around on Craigslist or whatever for someone selling a bottle. Welding with gas is 100% better than flux core. I don't know quite enough about DC welding aluminium to comment, but I know with my TIG, it *can* be done, but isn't nearly as nice and clean as ali welding on AC. So... if you were thinking about doing much work with aliuminium at all, that may be a thing to read up on a little more...

I like my Everlast TIG. It welds better than I'm able to take advantage of, and the customer support has been good. Their national warehouse is like 40 minutes from me, which calmed my fear of buying a non-top-name welder, but a few years in so far, and it just keeps going every time I fire it up.

If I was in the trade, I'm sure I'd have a Miller, or whatever, but I can't justify the cost when I can replace my Everlast like, twice for the cost of a lightly used Miller/Lincoln/ESAB etc...

• Thanks 1

I also have this crazy idea to vinyl wrap the wagon myself, because I think the wing would look better on a dark green glossy car than silver. I doubt I'll ever go through with it, because the bumpers and roof are way too daunting to do as a first-timer. 

Yeah, that's why I haven't wrapped my car myself.  I look at it and I think, eh, it can't be that hard.  then i remember I tried wrapping my madrig wing once and failed miserably.  I'm too poor to pay someone else to tackle it.

Edited by bobglaub

All about reps… Practice, watch vids, research methods, and you’ll get better probably faster than you think. I can’t do it to save my life, but I’ve tried stuff twice and I’m getting better slowly 

Passed on those fancy STi seats today unfortunately 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Tried to pull my ball joint today with the astro pneumatic tool.  It ripped the threads right off the ball joint so now I'm really stuck.   All the shops around are scheduled 2-3 weeks out so trying to figure this out. 

I was able to get the castle nut past the bad threads to secure the control arm to use for leverage.  Not sure where to go from here.   I've stuck a socket in the gap between the lca and knuckle and lowered the car but it's still not coming out.

Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated.