LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 5th gen today?? -V4

On 11/3/2022 at 12:23 PM, Humble Rumble said:

Ironically, the same week I blew my engine, Getadom tune streamed for 1.5 hours working on developing an EZ36 crankshaft. His initial design eliminates 3lbs over factory, rev ceiling of 10.2k, and destroke to 3.1L, basically enough to eliminate the need for the asymmetrical rods, and essentially opening the EZ36 to all the available symmetrical rod options, which all but removes the ceiling made by the original rod design. Would be massive for both turbo and NA builds. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlCPFClXr0c

Awesome!!! Now we just gotta find an easier way to pair it up with a 6 speed from an STI for us 6th gen guys with the CVT...I hear Canada got a manual option but it was never paired w the 3.6R... guess I need to rewatch the supergramps build.

On 11/6/2022 at 9:14 AM, coco26 said:

Posted it in the for sale section. I love this car so a little part of me hopes that it doesn't sell, but I'm building another car that I'll care about less, and therefore I'll be able to have more fun with. If my bank account could support two garage queens I'd keep it forever.

I hope it doesn't sell either... until next year and I buy it LOL 

I just got word from the dealer doing the valve body replacement ($$) that it wasn't running right after the work was done, so they replaced a transmission fluid pressure sensor to see if that would help ($). No dice and now they are saying it may be the entire CVT trans ($$$). WTF. It was running fine before they touched it, even if it was throwing the valve body solenoid code. I've read this is a pretty common repair for this part and didn't seem super technical aside from having to do the trans fluid heat procedure. I would think a dealer service department would have this repair down to routine... any change they F'd this up and nuked my CVT? Pretty frustrated at this point.. it's been 2 months almost they've had it and is in worse shape now. I'd only be able to get 5-7k private sale previously, minus the 1.6k I was expecting to pay for this work... We'll see what quote they come back with for the CVT replacement if needed. This is a 1 owner, mostly highway miles and well serviced. I've only replaced suspension, braking, and exhaust parts on it. Not happy.

On 11/9/2022 at 12:02 PM, DougKelly20 said:

Awesome!!! Now we just gotta find an easier way to pair it up with a 6 speed from an STI for us 6th gen guys with the CVT...I hear Canada got a manual option but it was never paired w the 3.6R... guess I need to rewatch the supergramps build.

The 5th gen is a nightmare to swap into, I wouldn't even attempt a 6th gen. Not unless you are good with all sorts of warning lights and lost functionality. I would look for an older platform that was easier to work around the electrical systems. Canbus systems really don't like to modified.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced the burned bulbs for my license plate, back up light and tail light with Diode Dynamics leds, but shortly after driving my Vehicle Dynamic Control light and Brake Light turned on and stayed on. Has anyone else experienced this? They reset after I turn off the car but come back on after 5 minutes of driving

43 minutes ago, Niko0422 said:

I replaced the burned bulbs for my license plate, back up light and tail light with Diode Dynamics leds, but shortly after driving my Vehicle Dynamic Control light and Brake Light turned on and stayed on. Has anyone else experienced this? They reset after I turn off the car but come back on after 5 minutes of driving

Your car probably isn't happy with the tail light bulbs being LED. It's fine running these cars with LED license plate and LED back up lights though.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I'll be hitting 113,000 miles today on the way home from work. That puts it at around 46k over the course of 5yrs and 3 months. Last year was like 5k. Small advantage of living and working in a small town.

• Like 2

Got one of the tires mounted on my Panamera wheels and set next to the car for a visual idea. Too cold out at the moment to properly test fit, but I have the adapter on hand, so soon as it warms up a bit, I'll see how it truly fits. 

May be an image of car and road

• Like 2

On 11/3/2022 at 12:23 PM, Humble Rumble said:

Ironically, the same week I blew my engine, Getadom tune streamed for 1.5 hours working on developing an EZ36 crankshaft. His initial design eliminates 3lbs over factory, rev ceiling of 10.2k, and destroke to 3.1L, basically enough to eliminate the need for the asymmetrical rods, and essentially opening the EZ36 to all the available symmetrical rod options, which all but removes the ceiling made by the original rod design. Would be massive for both turbo and NA builds. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlCPFClXr0c

This is cheating a little I suppose, becuase I would 100% want to stuff one of these into a 4th gen wagon chassis with a 5MT or 6MT...

I fully expect that this will be more $$$ than is reasonable to build for anything for but a dedicated track or performance car, but!!!!

3.6R engines are common and cheap all over where I live. There is a smashed Tribeca in every yard you go to, often with not a million kms on them. 3.0's are not easy to find however; people really seem to hang on to their 6 cylinder L.L Beans. 😄

But if this does go through it would be the secret sauce for an NA Subaru engine would it not? Symmetrical rods in an engine build to handle 3.6L destroked a little and lighened up to spin to 10K?!? No time for math on break at work, but would that make this a slightly over square borexthrow? 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, KZJonny said:

… I would 100% want to stuff one of these into a 4th gen wagon chassis with a 5MT or 6MT…

That would be sweet. Reminds me of this Fifth Gear episode that had me drooling over and jealous of the EDM spec models. 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 11:19 AM, KZJonny said:

This is cheating a little I suppose, becuase I would 100% want to stuff one of these into a 4th gen wagon chassis with a 5MT or 6MT...

I fully expect that this will be more $$$ than is reasonable to build for anything for but a dedicated track or performance car, but!!!!

3.6R engines are common and cheap all over where I live. There is a smashed Tribeca in every yard you go to, often with not a million kms on them. 3.0's are not easy to find however; people really seem to hang on to their 6 cylinder L.L Beans. 😄

But if this does go through it would be the secret sauce for an NA Subaru engine would it not? Symmetrical rods in an engine build to handle 3.6L destroked a little and lighened up to spin to 10K?!? No time for math on break at work, but would that make this a slightly over square borexthrow? 

Looking at the specs of the ez30 and ez36 there is an 11mm difference in stroke but the 3.6 is almost square 92mm bore x 91mm stroke, the 3.0 is 89.2mm bore x 80mm stroke. I still think the block itself will be the weakpoint along with the oiling system. Of those two I would use the 3.0 with the cam phasing and valve lift control for the most power and tunability.

Edited by FLlegacy

• 1 month later...

Gotta hope this was not pre-mature but the snow that is left on the lawn should be the last of the year.....SO I washed and cleaned up the car and switched off the snow tires (Nokian WR G3 on OEM wheels) and re mounted the summer  tires (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 on 18" OZ Racing Crono HT) Looks more like the car I have loved all these years 🥰

1.jpg

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Finally did the clutch damper delete and completed flushed the hydraulic fluid in the process. I also replaced my PCV valve for the second time in 10k, the one I replaced was 1.5 years old, but seemed to be not working (used the shake-it test).

The clutch damper delete is definitely worth it, but plan for 1-1.5 hours, in my case at least.

• Like 2

Unfortunately sold my Legacy GT a few days ago. I posted a few OEM parts I have been hanging onto in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

I owned the car for almost exactly 6 years and about 50k of its 96k miles. Never broke down on me and felt like it could easily go another 100k. I really didn't want to let it go, but it was too nice and became a garage queen. I've been building its replacement for a few months and can't afford two "fun" cars, so I had to let it go to someone who could enjoy it.

I've been visiting this site almost daily for the last 6 years, so thank you for all the support everyone here shares. The advice contained here is a big reason my car was as reliable as it is.

• Thanks 5
  • Sad 5

19 hours ago, coco26 said:

Unfortunately sold my Legacy GT a few days ago.

Sorry to hear you and the GT go. I even have one of your pics in my wallpaper rotation. I'm right behind you at 5 1/2 years.

1 hour ago, motorbreath said:

I did an oil change today, which is a little trickier now that I have 3-port BCS installed. I also need to start cleaning up my engine bay, any ideas for a replacement guard for my serpentine belt?

PXL_20230408_154929403.jpg

I'd go for something that reaches the intercooler too, the hood scoop's splitter butts up against the OEM cover to funnel air through the IC.

• 2 weeks later...

I added a liter of oil after my oil level light lit-up, it was quite a shock. I had driven 1500 miles over the past week and normally check my oil level every other week, did not accommodate for the mileage driven...

I hope running it low on oil did not do any permanent damage, adding a liter brought the level up to the notch (full at operating temperature, I think), which means I was severely low.

New OEM pitch stop goes in this weekend too!

eh...i only put 4-5k miles a year on my car, and it uses about a quart ever 12-1500 miles...sometimes i forget how long it's been and the light comes on...haven't had any issues so far, still runs smooth as can be.  wouldn't recommend doing it a bunch but you should be fine

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I technically drove my car today. About 100 feet. And then 100 feet back.

It's been a minute since I've been here. Is this place still uber active? I noticed the vast majority of the stickies are locked.

• Like 1

It's not as active as it used to be. There will be a few post here and there. Still the best place for info on these cars as far as I'm concerned. 

The ones who used to be really involved have either moved onto other cars, or have moved onto other forums/boards/ect.