LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 5th gen today?? -V4

3 hours ago, Falcor said:

Sounds like a fun time. 🫠 ☀️  

My life is full of "fun". And f*** you and your AC cooled garage 😝. Nah, I'm just jelly.

BTW, front end feels so much better now. Extremely tight a responsive. They were Mevotech control arms, but I replaced the rear bushings with poly ones from Siberian Bushing and replaced the Chinese ball joints with Sankei 555.

Put in the sun sensor, no change.  Gonna rent a set of gauges and see if the charge is low, and ordering the mode door actuator.  still shocking to me that everything went wrong all at once...doesn't make any sense to me...

And to add insult to injury...went to take the car out this evening and came on a flat tire.  Pumped it up and found the valve steam is deadsoes/leaking from where it comes through the wheel.  So.  Hooray. Add a new TPMS to the total.  I..am having a bad month with this car.

Edited by creep_nu

Well behind on updates, but there's been a few since I last posted, so I'll try to keep this brief. 3.6R is up and running again thanks to urging and major assistance from some friends, the new engine is swapped in and running perfectly. Engine is out of a 2019 3.6R with 17k miles. Engine is a straight swap with minor alterations needed: need to swap power steering bracket & pump from old engine (2015+ has electric, PS mounts are still in the block), need to transplant the old engine harness (2015+ uses a different shape plug), and need to make a small length of fuel line (2015+ has one fuel fitting that faces upwards instead of 90-degree for some reason). Other than that, straight swap. So happy to have this thing back. 

image.thumb.jpeg.4cd0976f52657448ccba8f23319aa404.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2c5e8628bd5f8ed975f2a362cb09e8af.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c69c46be49915f909c4a38a693bcb4c0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5a8422d5c210c596d6b757202b504f00.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.32a35c1576dbf2c362bb35781933dbdb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.464f91e6060aa5118311b00a2ae23436.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.718cc22436a6cd9d3f02cea5035420c5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1f98a32b85769c1477c6dd11e7e3808f.jpeg

Also, in celebration of the car being back to life and starting a new chapter, I decided to bestow it with a new custom license plate. BOX R SIX -> FUJI HVY.

image.thumb.jpeg.3881e5efb21db24dd38095e883aaea71.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d3064b395795b9e1fb10f63640d54eaf.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a77d84ba54e15d892a2efb415a006104.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bed9b6a9e005f636e07837f994782e89.jpeg

Also last thing on the engine, replaced my much worn and nasty fuse box cover and gave it a much nicer looking carbon one. Came from another model in a recent overseas order I made as extra parts. Really like how it looks. 

image.thumb.jpeg.43ea19a007ba5eda2c823d223657981d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4c3caa04edba1f98732d63c1a6d89ef8.jpeg

• Like 3

Second major update: the Porsche Panamera wheels are finally on and running after a long wait on correcting a mix-up with the adapters. If you don't recall from my previous posts, these are 4x rear wheels from a 2013 Panamera. 19x10 +36 (+61 with 25mm 5x100->5x130 adapters), tires are 285/30/19 Bridgestone RE980AS. Powder coated Hyper Black 4 by Crown Customs (silver is the final finish color despite being named "Black"), with new Porsche OEM center caps. So happy to be back on 19's, they truly are the best suited size to this body imo. 

IMG_2797.jpg

IMG_2799.jpg

IMG_2801.jpg

IMG_2803.jpg

IMG_2804.jpg

IMG_2805.jpg

IMG_2843.jpg

IMG_2890.jpg

IMG_2916.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

I vacuumed and cleaned the carpets, and wiped the seats down with Meguiar's Gold leather cleaner. It's a new car to us and it had a weird smell so I needed to get the major cleaning stuff done to start making it our own. It's a late 2011 build 3.6R (silver) with DVD Nav and leather. We rolled over 104,000-kms coming home from our first trip to the mountains with it. I think this is also my first post in the 5th gen forum!

Edited by lagwagon
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

It took three hours.

Used Dawn dishwashing liquid in warm water at first, but it wasn't cutting the $#!+ oil undercoating from Canada, so I switched to Chemical Guys citrus-based cleaner and stiff bushes.

Used a Dremel and a wire wheel to clean the aluminum on the alternator and pumps, and to clean some rust off of the brackets.

Used a rag wrench and my fingers to scrub everything out, rinsed completely, hand dried with microfiber towels.

Used a black paint marker to restore the symbols on the servicing points like coolant, oil, etc.

Used another rag wrench and used VRB from Chemical Guys on everything - cam drive cover, all hoses, seals, weatherstripping, etc.  Washed about a pound of dirt out of the TMIC.

Same treatment to the engine cover, and had to repair it where the Subaru emblem fell off in shame.

Dried, wiped, and cleaned everything, even the firewall.  Did all the black on the exterior like the grille, side mirror trim, etc.

Clean car makes for a happy owner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That engine clean up is definitely on the list of things I need to do...

Recently just installed a 2008-2014 Subaru WRX/STI Chassis Mount splitter. Had some modifications.. But worked out really well! (Also adding this to my build thread)

1) Depending on the brackets... The radiator support flange needs to be bent.
2) The spacing between chassis mounts are a little wider, so you may need spacers (I estimate a few washers should be ok)
3) The brackets sit about 1-1.5" rearward compared to a WRX/STI. So you may need to refill the holes to push the splitter forward.
image.thumb.jpeg.6a955e9206e49eaf22babb1ec09c652d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.80df66d7314a01c01fcd206b90d8faa9.jpeg
  • Like 2

Nice looking ride, I assume you're referring to my question about the brackets?

Cusco makes a 2014 WRX front brace that I was going to use to tie the unibody together in front and then put the crash guard from AMS or someone else in front of the new intercooler. There should be enough space behind the factory bumper cover to do this but it's going to be tight.

Front control arms (Tuesday) and an alignment (yesterday) (at a shop, not me personally). Then noticed that the left DRL/high bulb is melted and the right is turning black. I guess that will be tonight. Also found out one tire is at 9/32 and the other 3 are at 5 or 6/32. Gotta figure something out there. I have a set of Forester Cross Sport BBS wheels that I can throw some tires on but A/S tires are low stock right now and winter tires aren't in (and I don't want to do that yet). 

uh oh, the forbidden chocolate milkshake...signs would point to head gaskets, but normal checks should be made to verify.  is the overflow the same color?  did someone accidentally add oil to the water instead of the engine?

3 hours ago, creep_nu said:

uh oh, the forbidden chocolate milkshake...signs would point to head gaskets, but normal checks should be made to verify.  is the overflow the same color?  did someone accidentally add oil to the water instead of the engine?

hahaah Yes the overflow is the same, No there was no oil added to water or anything. I do all my own oil changes with Amsoil. I never remove the rad cap or overflow cap when I do oil changes. just this one time I decided to check and this. Called the shop that built my LGT and going to get either a used motor or fix this. Car still runs great. Waiting to hear back.

Is that an automatic with a trans fluid/coolant heat exchanger?  I'd check that too.

Have a BMW that did that, last thing we checked before we were set to pull the engine was the trans heat exchanger.  Pressure tested the trans heat exchanger at a rad shop and it was leaking.  Replaced it and no more milkshake.

8 hours ago, Scubaboo said:

Is that an automatic with a trans fluid/coolant heat exchanger?  I'd check that too.

Have a BMW that did that, last thing we checked before we were set to pull the engine was the trans heat exchanger.  Pressure tested the trans heat exchanger at a rad shop and it was leaking.  Replaced it and no more milkshake.

Yes the car is auto CVT, shop says it could be head gasket, but they will not know till they see it. Thats makes since, I have not herd of these FB25s having head gasket problems

subarus generally have internal head gasket failure too, where combustion gasses get in to the coolant rather than external with oil and coolant mixing.  doesn't mean it doesn't happen though, and any car can develop HG leaks.  i'd think if it was the trans cooler it'd be a strawberry milkshake, but i've never played with CVT fluid so i don't know what color it is

8 hours ago, NORULZleggy said:

Yes the car is auto CVT, shop says it could be head gasket, but they will not know till they see it. Thats makes since, I have not herd of these FB25s having head gasket problems

Yes it could be that too though.  Good luck!

On 8/1/2023 at 9:04 AM, Humble Rumble said:

Second major update: the Porsche Panamera wheels are finally on and running after a long wait on correcting a mix-up with the adapters. If you don't recall from my previous posts, these are 4x rear wheels from a 2013 Panamera. 19x10 +36 (+61 with 25mm 5x100->5x130 adapters), tires are 285/30/19 Bridgestone RE980AS. Powder coated Hyper Black 4 by Crown Customs (silver is the final finish color despite being named "Black"), with new Porsche OEM center caps. So happy to be back on 19's, they truly are the best suited size to this body imo. 

IMG_2797.jpg

IMG_2799.jpg

IMG_2801.jpg

IMG_2803.jpg

IMG_2804.jpg

IMG_2805.jpg

IMG_2843.jpg

IMG_2890.jpg

IMG_2916.jpg

Really sweet ride.  How hard was it to fit the 285's under the vehicle without rubbing?