LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 5th gen today?? -V4

It takes a bit of work but overall not that bad. My fenders are rolled flat and pulled a bit, and coilovers are required, and my springs are pretty stiff (10k/9k). I have -2.5 camber in the front and -2.0 in the rear. Honestly the rear rubs a bit on some of the bigger bumps around here, so I could use either another -0.5 in the back, or a stiffer spring in the back (which I think I'm going to do for track rotation purposes anyways, probably 11k). 

• Thanks 1

On 8/30/2023 at 5:40 PM, Scubaboo said:

Yes it could be that too though.  Good luck!

Well I have had it parked since I found the milk shake rad fluid. I am taking to the same place that built my LGT. Shame I not have to Daily my LGT :) . I will chime in and let you all know what it could be. The shop I sent the pic to did mention that it looks like trans fluid, so I am hoping it can all be flushed and taken care of. I have the CVT flushed few years back. I cannot see of find an HG leak myself.

• Like 1

A rag wrench is what us maintainers in Tactical Air Command (USAF, later Air Combat Command) refer to as your hand with a cleaning instrument, usually a rag soaked in JP-4 or JP-5, to wipe town the aircraft surface needing to be cleaned.

Old habits die hard!

Image of 9th Air Force Viper Demo Team (East) circa 1994.  I am 4th from right, my F-16CG, tail # 90-0738 "Thor's Hammer" is behind me on right.

Krystal on left and Lana on right are two of the finest maintainers I've ever had the pleasure of working with.

960×574 jpg
55 kB

demoteamfromkrystal.jpg.83a189fa06602a3bebd2a01fcb4026ea.jpg

Edited by kattz
  • Like 1

Turbo arrived today to be sent out for modification.

Also on the way is a 2017 WRX STI 6 speed transmission, RS 180 rear end, spindles, and all the goodies to go with it. Should make for an interesting project.

Next item will be new coilovers.

Edited by kattz

8 hours ago, kattz said:

Turbo arrived today to be sent out for modification.

Also on the way is a 2017 WRX STI 6 speed transmission, RS 180 rear end, spindles, and all the goodies to go with it. Should make for an interesting project.

Next item will be new coilovers.

I missed the part where you decided on what turbo to get.  Which did you decide on?

Sti trans too?  This looks like it's gonna get interesting lol!  Have you considered making a build thread?

I dont know what coilovers you went with, should be for an Sti and not LGT as the LGT uses 08-up WRX spindle hole spacing so you wont be able to use LGT coilovers with your Sti spindles.

1 hour ago, Scubaboo said:

I missed the part where you decided on what turbo to get.  Which did you decide on?

Sti trans too?  This looks like it's gonna get interesting lol!  Have you considered making a build thread?

I dont know what coilovers you went with, should be for an Sti and not LGT as the LGT uses 08-up WRX spindle hole spacing so you wont be able to use LGT coilovers with your Sti spindles.

It's kind of a long story, but to make it short, the turbo is from a 2012 LGT in a scrapyard in Indiana with only 70K miles on it.  The choice is either JMP or BNR to rework it into an improved version. Probably using something along a TD-05HF billet wheel.  I honestly haven't decided. I don't want to go with something that might add more complexity or add a failure point. Keeping the current TMIC for now.

I've been using Humble Rumble as a sounding board for some ideas as well as MSprank regarding tuning, fitment, and so forth.  Frankly, I'm in lust for Humble Rumble's ride.

The 6 speed... yeah.  While shifting to 5th gear at around 3900 rpm last night, there was a bang followed by a whirring sound.  Seems something broke.  I only have 3 forward gears now.  Sychros are wailing away now as well.

I went down to Turn In Concepts in Cincy just before this happened and consulted with Subaru professionals regarding this vehicle. They know their stuff, and are patient, but they give you the truth of what's possible and what's not.

Their recommendation is get the drivetrain squared away (too low) and get the car back up to a not-so-low height.  Raising the car as well as changing the spindles means new STI RCE Tarmac II Clubsport's with custom longer springs, probably 10K front, 9K rears. I spent three days with RCE taking measurements, sending pics of the current install, etc. for proper fitment of the new coilovers. Myles at RCE is good people.

iWire DCCD controller for the new box.

Also to go will be the wheels.  The wheel/tire combo comes in a a hair under 60lb.  IMO, that's a little much.  I want Enkei RS02RR's in 19", tires in 255-275, whatever I can get to fit.

After the reworked turbo is installed, Turn-In Concepts is going to TIG weld a new bung on the intercooler, relocate the IAT sensor and set the car up for speed density tune. I'm to understand the MAF sensor goes in the round file after that.

There will be a build thread.  And CAD for the transmission mount once complete. I also need to do some body work.

Edited by kattz

20 hours ago, kattz said:

It's kind of a long story, but to make it short, the turbo is from a 2012 LGT in a scrapyard in Indiana with only 70K miles on it.  The choice is either JMP or BNR to rework it into an improved version. Probably using something along a TD-05HF billet wheel.  I honestly haven't decided. I don't want to go with something that might add more complexity or add a failure point. Keeping the current TMIC for now.

I've been using Humble Rumble as a sounding board for some ideas as well as MSprank regarding tuning, fitment, and so forth.  Frankly, I'm in lust for Humble Rumble's ride.

The 6 speed... yeah.  While shifting to 5th gear at around 3900 rpm last night, there was a bang followed by a whirring sound.  Seems something broke.  I only have 3 forward gears now.  Sychros are wailing away now as well.

I went down to Turn In Concepts in Cincy just before this happened and consulted with Subaru professionals regarding this vehicle. They know their stuff, and are patient, but they give you the truth of what's possible and what's not.

Their recommendation is get the drivetrain squared away (too low) and get the car back up to a not-so-low height.  Raising the car as well as changing the spindles means new STI RCE Tarmac II Clubsport's with custom longer springs, probably 10K front, 9K rears. I spent three days with RCE taking measurements, sending pics of the current install, etc. for proper fitment of the new coilovers. Myles at RCE is good people.

iWire DCCD controller for the new box.

Also to go will be the wheels.  The wheel/tire combo comes in a a hair under 60lb.  IMO, that's a little much.  I want Enkei RS02RR's in 19", tires in 255-275, whatever I can get to fit.

After the reworked turbo is installed, Turn-In Concepts is going to TIG weld a new bung on the intercooler, relocate the IAT sensor and set the car up for speed density tune. I'm to understand the MAF sensor goes in the round file after that.

There will be a build thread.  And CAD for the transmission mount once complete. I also need to do some body work.

So you are now on the turbo upgrade route, cool!  It's gonna add complexity no matter what you choose with regards to fueling upgrades and air fuel management but should be all worth it.

Looks like you are getting good advice from RCE, I've heard they are good people with good stuff too.

With DCCD control and an Sti 6-speed, looks like it will be tunable for lots of things!

19" wheels give you a lot of space for brakes too.  Any upgrade plans for those?

• Thanks 1

On 9/14/2023 at 7:43 PM, kattz said:

A rag wrench is what us maintainers in Tactical Air Command (USAF, later Air Combat Command) refer to as your hand with a cleaning instrument, usually a rag soaked in JP-4 or JP-5, to wipe town the aircraft surface needing to be cleaned.

Thanks for the explanation. I thought it was some special rag with a handle :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Scubaboo said:

So you are now on the turbo upgrade route, cool!  It's gonna add complexity no matter what you choose with regards to fueling upgrades and air fuel management but should be all worth it.

Looks like you are getting good advice from RCE, I've heard they are good people with good stuff too.

With DCCD control and an Sti 6-speed, looks like it will be tunable for lots of things!

19" wheels give you a lot of space for brakes too.  Any upgrade plans for those?

Previous owner installed 2012 STI Brembos and new rotors, so we're good there.

Turbo will be next year after the trans swap.  I have a lot to do, and being disabled doesn't help. 

1.  Clean out/rearrange the garage to put my Forester where the LGT is and move the LGT to the longer stall to give me room to work on this project.  Remove a rack and throw stuff away.

2. Order and receive the Quickjack 7000's.

3. Take the STI transmission to the machine shop to measure for the new mounts.

4. Drop the old drivetrain, remove the current RCE coilovers, get the trans mounted. Measure, measure, measure everything before removal.

5.  Order the new coilovers.

6.  Install new drivetrain.  Hopefully everything fits.  Turn In Concepts said that with STI spindles and the RS180 diff, the axles should be ok from a fit perspective.  They state LGT has same track as later STI. I'm not so sure about that from research.  Still checking.

The new instrument clusters went out to the programmer, so once they return, I'll nurse it down to the dealer and let them marry the new one to the BIU, and keep the one on the shelf for a potential spare.  Ordering a custom panel from Illumasthetic; I probably misspelled that.

Frankly, with no help I'm worried sick.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kattz said:

Previous owner installed 2012 STI Brembos and new rotors, so we're good there.

Turbo will be next year after the trans swap.  I have a lot to do, and being disabled doesn't help. 

1.  Clean out/rearrange the garage to put my Forester where the LGT is and move the LGT to the longer stall to give me room to work on this project.  Remove a rack and throw stuff away.

2. Order and receive the Quickjack 7000's.

3. Take the STI transmission to the machine shop to measure for the new mounts.

4. Drop the old drivetrain, remove the current RCE coilovers, get the trans mounted. Measure, measure, measure everything before removal.

5.  Order the new coilovers.

6.  Install new drivetrain.  Hopefully everything fits.  Turn In Concepts said that with STI spindles and the RS180 diff, the axles should be ok from a fit perspective.  They state LGT has same track as later STI. I'm not so sure about that from research.  Still checking.

The new instrument clusters went out to the programmer, so once they return, I'll nurse it down to the dealer and let them marry the new one to the BIU, and keep the one on the shelf for a potential spare.  Ordering a custom panel from Illumasthetic; I probably misspelled that.

Frankly, with no help I'm worried sick.

Sorry to hear you arent at 100%.  With the Quickjack lifts, all that work should be a lot easier than on stands.

There are a few Sti trans swapped cars here, hopefully you can get useful info from them.  IIRC member garrybnj (spelling?) is Sti trans swapped and was active fairly recently.

I wasnt able to keep track of your cluster change query too, what did you end up doing with that?  

• Thanks 1

The brand new cluster coming from Subaru is from a 2010 Legacy GT. It’s the only one that Subaru has in stock. The service manager at Kings Subaru feels pretty good that it’s gonna work. There’s a guy on eBay that will reprogram the mileage and I’m sending it out to him as well as the strange part number unit from the 2012 over in the scrap yard in Indiana.

If it works, I’ll update you guys on the part number because Legacy GT instrument clusters for fifth generation are scarcer than hens teeth. 

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, kattz said:

The brand new cluster coming from Subaru is from a 2010 Legacy GT. It’s the only one that Subaru has in stock. The service manager at Kings Subaru feels pretty good that it’s gonna work. There’s a guy on eBay that will reprogram the mileage and I’m sending it out to him as well as the strange part number unit from the 2012 over in the scrap yard in Indiana.

If it works, I’ll update you guys on the part number because Legacy GT instrument clusters for fifth generation are scarcer than hens teeth. 

Good luck with the cluster swap!  Hopefully it's like most other makes than can be sorted with programming.

• Thanks 1

The wiring diagram looks pretty similar - the 2012 has a component noted as  "single step dimmer" that isn't shown in the 2010 - not sure how it's different, though, since the components attached to it are internal to the combination meter.

There is an important difference, though - for 2010-2011, the check engine light is direct wired from the ECM, but on the 2012, it was changed to be driven on the CAN bus - so you might lose the check engine light (no idea if the ECM is going to get mad as a result - depends on what is being communicated on the CAN bus.

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, kattz said:

Well, that's good to know.  I have one from a '12 in a junkyard, but the p/n is strange.  It came out a '12 LGT with 6 speed and turbo.

That's the only way they came!  (11 and 12 were all limiteds, and the 5th gen 2.5GT was 6mt only) - interestingly, on parts.subaru.com, there are two different part numbers for the 12 LGT, and both say they only fit the 12 LGT (p/n 85021AJ29A and 85021AJ37A - no idea what the difference is, both show as no longer available)

Edited by DrD123

The 29A and 37A are vaporware, as in Subaru has no record of selling even one.  And the one that came out of the '12 LGT in the scrapyard is a 63A. That's a 3.6L A/T cluster.  The Non-USDM 71A in my vehicle doesn't exist anywhere in any parts listing.

• Like 1

Well, the GT and 3.6R definitely have the same appearance gauge cluster (same redline, etc. - the 2.5i is a little lower) - maybe the 29A and 37A are just a 63A programmed to run as a manual engine car?  Not surprising they haven't sold them after the fact as there were only 227 USDM 2.5GTs sold in 2012.  Going from 2011->2012->2013 Subaru was gradually pushing more stuff onto the can bus, so the ECU became "in charge" of those things, and the cluster became more and more just a display...  I don't know how a cluster knows it's from an auto, cvt, or manual, or if it even matters based on the info the ECU sends it...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kattz said:

Procured the Legacy GT tS front lower control arms from Japan, ST20202EZ000 and EZ010 for the upcoming work.  The scope of work is expanding since the engine will be out.

You happen to discuss this with Humble Rumble?  Those arms are shorter and give you a narrower track than what you have now per his research.

Engine out subframe down is also a great time to do front sways and steering rack bushes if I havent mentioned it in one of your threads.

• Thanks 2

I sent him a few PMs during the last week, but he hasn’t read them yet. I got the lower control arms cheap, so if they don’t work right it’s not a big deal. I plan on re-bushing and rebuilding most of the front end and rear end while it’s out.

I plan on taking the entire engine, transmission ,and front cradle to the machine shop, and we will jig it up there and make the new mounts.

Edited by kattz
  • Like 1

On 9/6/2023 at 4:20 PM, NORULZleggy said:

Well I have had it parked since I found the milk shake rad fluid. I am taking to the same place that built my LGT. Shame I not have to Daily my LGT :) . I will chime in and let you all know what it could be. The shop I sent the pic to did mention that it looks like trans fluid, so I am hoping it can all be flushed and taken care of. I have the CVT flushed few years back. I cannot see of find an HG leak myself.

So I drove the legacy to the shop and dropped it off. So far they checked the Oil, and trans fluid and they looked fine. They did a full flush on the car and got rid of all the milkshake in the rad. They are still checking what could be causing it. I mentioned PCV, and it does need a new OEM rad cap. They are checking the HG for issues and a possible gasket leak that might be doing this.

• Like 2