LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 5th gen today?? -V4

5 hours ago, Humble Rumble said:

I'm already running Btssm on a tablet, but unfortunately that only has the capability to display oil and coolant temps, not trans, so I'm planning on running a gauge in the future. Thermostat is a good idea too, and the layout I'm going with should let me be able to add that as well. 

As for fluid, I've been running Amsoil Signature Series ATF since my first fluid change in 2018. Only fluid I'll run until something comes along that is categorically better in every way. And I have also done the Prothane press-in bushing inserts on the rear diff mount and the middle carrier mount, but I want to swap out the carrier mount for a proper stiffened one like Kein next year. Also want to do my subframe bushings and the Prova inserts next year as well, should make the car feel brand new. 

Nice, looks like you are all good in the trans department!

Bttsm doesnt have trans temp?  I was able to see trans temps in Romraider and I had thought they are pretty much the same in terms of live data?  No idea to display from that though, I went with gauges for the stuff I want to monitor.

New subframe mounts will feel great for sure!

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 9:59 AM, Humble Rumble said:

I'm already running Btssm on a tablet, but unfortunately that only has the capability to display oil and coolant temps, not trans, so I'm planning on running a gauge in the future. Thermostat is a good idea too, and the layout I'm going with should let me be able to add that as well. 

As for fluid, I've been running Amsoil Signature Series ATF since my first fluid change in 2018. Only fluid I'll run until something comes along that is categorically better in every way. And I have also done the Prothane press-in bushing inserts on the rear diff mount and the middle carrier mount, but I want to swap out the carrier mount for a proper stiffened one like Kein next year. Also want to do my subframe bushings and the Prova inserts next year as well, should make the car feel brand new. 

So I have a different setup due to being 6th Gen and having the CVT but since the CVT cooler, which is much smaller than yours, my cap has been the coolant/oil temps. It used to be the trans. So I'm seeing 230 on oil after 12 minutes but only 200 on trans, where I used see 250 after the first 2 sessions almost all day.

As for monitoring I have been using the OBDlinkMX as the interface and the ActiveOBD app for gauges. It has CVT, Oil, and coolant temps all in one screen which I look at on the front straight every pass.

• Thanks 1

I dont think Humble will have any problems with trans temp from now on, that cooler looks huuuuuge!

I checked Setrab USA's website for specs on that model and application and it happened not to have specs listed, but the next size up in that series is rated for 600+hp.  So probably safe to say that cooler is sized for maybe a 500hp motor?  

Humble, maybe it would be a good idea to plumb it before the trans/coolant heat exchanger for now?  I think that cooler may severely overcool your trans fluid especially in day to day driving.

• Like 1

Went to check up on it at the dealer.. was sitting next to a '21 STI and a Hawkeye that looked mint.. shoulda snapped a pic - she was in good company. Will be there probably till the end of the year waiting on the valve body harness to finally become available. Until then I'm putting miles on the loaner(s). Just returned the Forester Sport after 30 days, and am now in an Ascent which my wife might want at the end of this lol. The Forester sucked, tbh. loud, not super comfortable, didn't seem SUVish at all, and the power band felt super inconsistent. Felt like a step backwards vs the '17 XT I use to own. Haven't driven the Ascent much, but first impressions are good. It's only the premium trim so comfort items a little bare, but gives a good idea of the vehicle in general. Seats are comfy and its very spacious. Notably a bit larger than the Highlander and better ride, although it is 5 years newer and Toyota is more utilitarian. The turbo 4 cylinder feels more natural and peppier of a drive around town vs the Highlander's V6 (as expected). I'd be interested to test drive the new Highlanders 4 banger. Biggest thing I like about this Ascent in particular is the Brilliant Bronze Metallic paint. My fav code hands down.. I wish I could the WRX in it. Anyways... might just ask the dealer to buy the Legacy at this point lol

20220919_182417.jpg

20221019_160438.jpg

We are on our 2nd Forester of this Gen. My wife loves it and for her the power is fine. I put it in Sport almost every time I drive it and the toys of the Touring are fun. It is underpowered and who knows if they will offer a turbo in the Forester again. I have a feeling it will not, but will go to hybrid option next gen, then electric after that.

On 10/21/2022 at 11:14 PM, Scubaboo said:

spacer.png

Better get used to it, its coming! Lol. The FB25 in the forester is a head scratcher Subaru must have had a supply of them or a contract to build them, I would think the fa24 NA would have been the next power plant for it.

On 8/24/2022 at 7:56 PM, Falcor said:

I think I'll be doing my own timing belt in a month or two. I know the lockdown kit is for the driver's side. What keeps the other side from turning? I've never done a timing belt, so sorry for the noob question. Still need to gather everything up.

I was curious so got a couple quotes on getting the timing belt/water pump service and clutch replacement. Local import/euro shop quoted between $2k-$3k, and Subaru in Joplin quoted $4300. I knew the dealer would be more expensive, but not that much more.

Sploded. Horrid noises upon upshifting to 3rd, fully shut down on me by the end of the straight and had to wrestle it into the grass without power-steering. Haven't torn it down but 99% positive it oil-starved and lost pressure. Track has multiple long, high-g turns back to back, pretty sure I just have too much grip now for my oiling system. Planning on pulling the pan off one of my now two blown engines this winter and sending it off to NAS to have a baffled and possibly billet EZ36 oilpan developed to hopefully avoid this in the future and provide a new aftermarket option for any future idiots like me that feel like tracking this platform is a good idea. Little by little I'm eliminating issues so I can just track in peace. Sadly this happened on only my second session out and a broken lug key caused me to miss all my morning sessions, so I barely even got to learn the track.

Including my full first session. Nothing special but it's pretty much all I got from the event.

• Sad 4

On 11/1/2022 at 9:41 AM, creep_nu said:

you can not get any luck my guy...fingers crossed for a quick re-build over the winter to get back on track for the spring.  any other ideas in the works aside from the baffled oil pan?

Short answer: yes. Entirely depends on how quickly I can get my money up. My shopping list BEFORE this incident was just shy of $20k more in parts alone. 🙃 

Well.... Not so unusual I guess but I took it for a drive to do a bit of shopping and on the way home we got to a milestone mileage. I could not take a pic of the speedo while driving in heavy traffic so I had to wait till I got home.🙄

Now keep in mind my 3.6R is a 2013 but I bought it new in March of 2014....actually on my birthday...Yippee! 🥳

Just turned 50,000 Kilometers (For all my American friends , that's 30,000 Miles) I gotta stop driving so much!!....if I'm not careful this car will actually be broken in sometime in the next few years 🤣

1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Humble Rumble said:

Hell no. You couldn't pay me enough to change motor platform. EZ36 till I die.

yeah you're doing god's work keeping the 3.6 going, got the popcorn ready for when you start the build over

11 minutes ago, creep_nu said:

yeah you're doing god's work keeping the 3.6 going, got the popcorn ready for when you start the build over

I am a turbo guy but for some reason I am starting to look at the 3.6 builds, and looking forward to this one because you just know its gonna be all out!

I dont know if it exists or is possible but I keep on wondering if a Porsche NA flat 6 GT RS inspired build can happen with these 3.6's.

marty and moog at mightycarmods did a big 3.6 turbo build and i think the bottleneck was the rods and stuff for them, so unless that's been solved i dunno how much NA power you're going to be able to wring out of one of them..but in their last episode they teased a new stage in that build, so who the hell knows what's in development for these engines.

Ironically, the same week I blew my engine, Getadom tune streamed for 1.5 hours working on developing an EZ36 crankshaft. His initial design eliminates 3lbs over factory, rev ceiling of 10.2k, and destroke to 3.1L, basically enough to eliminate the need for the asymmetrical rods, and essentially opening the EZ36 to all the available symmetrical rod options, which all but removes the ceiling made by the original rod design. Would be massive for both turbo and NA builds. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlCPFClXr0c

Edited by Humble Rumble
  • Like 3

Posted it in the for sale section. I love this car so a little part of me hopes that it doesn't sell, but I'm building another car that I'll care about less, and therefore I'll be able to have more fun with. If my bank account could support two garage queens I'd keep it forever.

• Sad 4