LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 5th gen today?? -V4

Yes still the best info and knowledge base of members. But definitely very little activity compared to a decade ago, even 5 years ago.  I stop by once in a while to see if I can help with anything. Great to see some of the OG members popping in now and again!

• Like 1

There was a thread on here a while back about lifting your Legacy. Can't find it now, but I did it. I got all four springs and struts from a junkyard for $100. They came off of a 2013 outback with 32k miles.. mine were at 120k and needed replaced anyway. They installed fine.. I even put larger tires on it. Yokohama Geolander All-terrains at 215/70/16 (snow service rated). It became a wintertime beast, and the off-road capability is insane (for a legacy, of course). The one problem is the rear camber. I assumed I'd be flirting with positive camber since I didn't replace the rear lower control arms, so I always watched for it on the outside of the rear tires. But it never came. After about 20 months, I noticed the inside of my rear tires were very worn. I'm still not sure how I got to negative camber in the rear, but if you account for that, it's a very cost-effective way to turn your 5th-gen legacy into an absolute beast in snow and ice, and even a bit off-road

20211214_172026.jpg

20220204_181032.jpg

20220204_181006.jpg

20211207_163322.jpg

20211214_172038.jpg

• Like 4

i bought an interior lighting kit about a year ago, finally decided to install it this weekend.  love the illuminated sills, and the interior lights are nice and mellow...was worried they were going to be pretty spicy and bright, but they're pretty smooth and dim in a good way...hard to get good pictures but...that's what i got

interior.jpg

sill.jpg

• Like 4

Just got Hardrace engine mounts in today, took a month from Australia. Doing all 3, and the front mount comes in a nice blue color :) I'm looking to have them done soon.

I'm also due for a tune from Cryotune, how important do y'all think a 3 port BCS is for stage 2? Here are my supporting mods:

• Invidia Q300, Invidia Downpipe
  • Turbosmart Kompact
  • New coilpacks and those "fancy" NGK Ruthenium plugs 

I just want reliable but relatively safe power

• Like 2

On 5/30/2023 at 5:43 PM, ToolTime said:

.I'm also due for a tune from Cryotune, how important do y'all think a 3 port BCS is for stage 2?

My understanding is that a 3 BCS is essentially a requirement for a stage 2 tune, along with an aftermarket BPV or BOV in your case. The Q300 turbo-back was a good choice IMO, sounds great at WOT but not obnoxious around town.

Look up how the stock BCS works, it is very difficult for it to meet the boost set point due to the constant bleeding of pressure to the waste gate.

See my build thread for the boost curve with basically your setup, a Nameless BPV, and Grimmspeed 3 port BCS, and a tune.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/30/2023 at 5:56 AM, creep_nu said:

i bought an interior lighting kit about a year ago, finally decided to install it this weekend.  love the illuminated sills, and the interior lights are nice and mellow...was worried they were going to be pretty spicy and bright, but they're pretty smooth and dim in a good way...hard to get good pictures but...that's what i got

interior.jpg

sill.jpg

There is a full set of these on the sales forum and I would love to snag it….but I don’t think the seller frequents the forum much.

On 6/3/2023 at 7:14 PM, Falcor said:

There is a full set of these on the sales forum and I would love to snag it….but I don’t think the seller frequents the forum much.

yeah saw that post before i bought mine, but found an extremely full set for $100 on ebay(i got luuuucky) before pulling the trigger on his.  if you can get it, i highly recommend...and if you need the install material i can send them your way, i've got them sittin around.  good luck.

i've also got the exterior lighting kit and an extra roof adapter harness if you want them...just pay shipping...don't need the roof harness, and i'm never going to install the exterior kit, it's not for me.

Edited by creep_nu
  • Like 1

On 5/31/2023 at 7:01 PM, motorbreath said:

My understanding is that a 3 BCS is essentially a requirement for a stage 2 tune, along with an aftermarket BPV or BOV in your case. The Q300 turbo-back was a good choice IMO, sounds great at WOT but not obnoxious around town.

Look up how the stock BCS works, it is very difficult for it to meet the boost set point due to the constant bleeding of pressure to the waste gate.

See my build thread for the boost curve with basically your setup, a Nameless BPV, and Grimmspeed 3 port BCS, and a tune.

I appreciate the input, I'll probably just bite the bullet and buy the 3 port. Sounds like I wont regret it.

On 6/3/2023 at 7:18 PM, Falcor said:

In the process of swapping out the trashed passenger side top hat (and perfectly fine drivers side) with group n. These should hold up way better. The other set only lasted about 3 1/2 years with the Koni/Eibach setup.

Are the Group N top hats just a simple swap? They fit the same?

On 6/5/2023 at 6:03 AM, creep_nu said:

yeah saw that post before i bought mine, but found an extremely full set for $100 on ebay(i got luuuucky) before pulling the trigger on his.  if you can get it, i highly recommend...and if you need the install material i can send them your way, i've got them sittin around.  good luck.

i've also got the exterior lighting kit and an extra roof adapter harness if you want them...just pay shipping...don't need the roof harness, and i'm never going to install the exterior kit, it's not for me.

As far as the exterior kit, are you talking about the puddle lights?

3 hours ago, creep_nu said:

i am

That's what I was thinking. I have the puddle lights and they are awesome. They came with my old 2010 Outback and I really wanted them on the GT. That being said, I have had to replace one light because of water intrusion. I think that was the glaring flaw of the design. As long as they make replacements I'm good though. :)

gotcha, i played around with it for a sec just to see what it'd be like and i could see on a taller vehicle it being nice, just didn't like it on the leggy.  preferences and buttholes, everyone's got one and i like em all 😆

seeing if any of my folks with outbacks want the set

• 4 weeks later...

I replaced my fuel filter and fuel pump today, check out my build thread for details on the fuel pump debacle, but I installed the OEM pump because my tune is using stock injectors.

I still have a DW200 and DW300 if anyone is interested!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

been having issues with my AC, drivers side blowing warm when passenger side is cold.  watched and verified the blend door actuator wasn't working so replaced that.  didn't fix the problem, though the air does now change between hot and what should be cold now, it's just not cold.  found some diagnostic steps and found both the mode door actuator and the sunlight sensor are both bad now apparently too...changing the light sensor since it's easy first to see if that somehow magically fixes the mode door...doubtful but hey...

so, in a nutshell, my whole AC system died and i'm replacing it and i don't like it haha

Edited by creep_nu

There was a TSB for the sun load sensor (this impacted the auto-headlights) where they needed to modify the harness - do the auto-headlights work correctly? 

For the not-cold, if you can, have someone check the charge in the system and look for leaks - not at all uncommon to have an o-ring fail on a 13 year old car!  Hopefully it's just the charge and a failed o-ring and not the compressor!

i have never used the auto headlights since they're known to blow bulbs and the sensor, so...i don't know if they work correctly or not haha.  i haven't checked the charge, but the passenger side blows cold so i'm leaning away from that.  when i did the climate control self-diagnosis it gave me codes 45 and 49, which point to the sunload sensor and the mode door...but the modes change without any weird noises or anything, so i'm hoping just the sensor...thanks for the reminder on the TSB, i'll check on that and perform if necessary.

On 6/5/2023 at 4:35 PM, ToolTime said:

I appreciate the input, I'll probably just bite the bullet and buy the 3 port. Sounds like I wont regret it.

Are the Group N top hats just a simple swap? They fit the same?

Just noticed your question. Yes, they look almost identical to the factory top hats.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Falcor said:

The sun sensor was dead on the GT when I bought it. So I swapped in the working one from my Outback. It does affect the AC, esp the auto AC in the Limited. 

good to hear...here's hoping my diagnoses so far are correct, i'm hoping that sensor fixes it all, i don't wanna start up the parts cannon on this car...these sensors and motors get expensive fast...

add on the new front struts and brakes/rotors all around for my daily and this has become an expensive car maintenance month...still beats the hell out of a car payment though 😆😆

Edited by creep_nu

Did the drivers side front control arm today. "Only" took a few hours, but managed to not snap the pinch bolt, so that's good. The rear bushing bolt put up a little bit of a fight, but I expected worse. TS8000 + MAP gas FTW.

Sun was frying me to a crisp, so I'll tackle to passenger side tomorrow morning.

Edit: Day 2, finished passenger side. The rear bushing bolt was being a lot more stubborn. Vice grips kept slipping on the sleeve so I used my welder to add a blob so that it was no longer perfectly round. That did the trick.

Got the other pinch bolt out without snapping it. Lots of heat (wrapped CV boot in fiberglass cloth and aluminum foil) and gently used my impact to rock the bolt back and forth until in came loose.

Edited by Plastixx