LegacyGT.com

2.5GT Turbo Oil Supply Banjo Bolt Filter Removal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I realized I forgot to check if the second washer was there when I did it the first time. Sure enough it was under the car when I was installing my swaybars. So I had to do it again. The majority of the time is trying to get the second washer back on. I used a piece of dental floss and got it lined up. I'm glad I took the filter out, so I won't have to deal with that crap again.

You do know that the oil flows INTO the bolt end and out the sides.

The photos you show of the filter are of the outlet side. Any contaminants will be INSIDE the filter screen....

• 5 weeks later...
are u guys doing this with a oil change?? or can u just take that bolt out?? is it ok to leave the screen out?? and will a aftermarket banjo bolt (one with a bigger hole) work with the stock turbo?? i was lookin at the one FP makes... they say u use it with a FP turbo but i was curious if it would work with the stock turbo...

are u guys doing this with a oil change?? or can u just take that bolt out?? is it ok to leave the screen out?? and will a aftermarket banjo bolt (one with a bigger hole) work with the stock turbo?? i was lookin at the one FP makes... they say u use it with a FP turbo but i was curious if it would work with the stock turbo...

i was told to not use a bigger banjo with the stock turbo. not sure why though. also i have yet to clean my filter out (90k miles). sometime this spring i plan to remove it though

^ my warranty is long over im pretty sure... and even if it wasnt it would probably be denied if i tried claiming anything...

Then, go ahead.

But be sure to do oil change in a good time range :)

i was thinkin just puttin the high flow one fp makes... would that fit?? the screen gotta be useful if its trapping that many things ;) ill probably just turn that into a yearly routine... it sounds pretty easy but we will see...

Went to change my oil today and when I removed the plug - nothing. :confused: I checked the dipstick and it indicated that the oil level was full. (I'm about 1,000 miles over the 5K, but I've been topping it off - last with conventional since I was in bfe and the gas station didn't stock synthetic). Removed the filter and some came out, but not what I would have expected. Checked the dipstick again, and still indicated full... i went ahead and added a 4 quarts and let it run for a few minutes thinking it would losen something up. Let it cool and then pulled the plug again. Still nothing, but it is running through the filter.

I've never had any temp gauge problems or check engine/oil lights come on, ,so I'm quite confused. I may let it run a few minutes again and check.

Is this a 'Banjo Bolt' problem? If so, is there any kind of oil additive/system cleaner I can add until I have time to look at it closer?

Any advice greatly appreciated. I'm not terribly mechanically inclined, but it sounds like something I could handle.

You mean, you removed the drain plug and notting ? omg !

You could try to insert something in it, the hole may be stuck... but it's pretty wierd !

Sure things, no link with the banjo bolt.

Went to change my oil today and when I removed the plug - nothing. :confused: I checked the dipstick and it indicated that the oil level was full. (I'm about 1,000 miles over the 5K, but I've been topping it off - last with conventional since I was in bfe and the gas station didn't stock synthetic). Removed the filter and some came out, but not what I would have expected. Checked the dipstick again, and still indicated full... i went ahead and added a 4 quarts and let it run for a few minutes thinking it would losen something up. Let it cool and then pulled the plug again. Still nothing, but it is running through the filter.

I've never had any temp gauge problems or check engine/oil lights come on, ,so I'm quite confused. I may let it run a few minutes again and check.

Is this a 'Banjo Bolt' problem? If so, is there any kind of oil additive/system cleaner I can add until I have time to look at it closer?

Any advice greatly appreciated. I'm not terribly mechanically inclined, but it sounds like something I could handle.

Are you sure you removed oil drain plug? I'd guess you removed something else....

Hey rao & others,

Can you confirm that the banjo bolt w/filter only feeds the turbo? Is there anything else it feeds which you could visually "check" for damage?

Just curious if it's only the turbo at risk.

Hey rao & others,

Can you confirm that the banjo bolt w/filter only feeds the turbo? Is there anything else it feeds which you could visually "check" for damage?

Just curious if it's only the turbo at risk.

I think this answers your question...props to unclemat for the research

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1771234&postcount=255

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

That mentions that it feeds the pass. side AVCS and turbo. I'm just trying to confirm that from the turbo, it's straight back into the oil pan.

Trying not to confuse different systems, but would AVCS oil starvation result in changes to the AVCS operation? Would their be a way of checking to see if the banjo filter was restricting flow by examining the AVCS? Just curious if there is a better way than visual evaluation (which 90% of the time seems to show that the banjo bolt looks free and clear).

Joe

Archived