LegacyGT.com

2.5GT Turbo Oil Supply Banjo Bolt Filter Removal

Hey guys.

I am new here and have been reading over this thread reguarding the banjo bolt filter.

Can anyone advise me what the final word is on whether the screen has to be removed or not? All 4 screens (is it four?) or have I missed something? Sorry,still pretty new this all of this.

The previous owner was a faithful 3000 mile oil changer as will I be.

Thankyou in advance.

2 screens...

There were some metal shavings in it but it wasn't too bad.

and IMHO.. you shouldn't remove them because this ^^^^^ is always a possibility. With no screen... bye bye turbocharger bearings.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and IMHO.. you shouldn't remove them because this ^^^^^ is always a possibility. With no screen... bye bye turbocharger bearings.

What he said..

Will someone in Denver help me with this? 68k miles later, & I'm getting worried.

Sorry for the threadjack, been following forever.

^^^Look in the Mtn West forum. Next time there is an install day I will help you do it ;)

My opinion is that anything large enough to mess up the turbo bearings will block the screen fully in the first place. You will loose the turbo in that case no matter what. With it out, a few small particles that won't hurt the bearings can go through, but if it was in they would combine to block the screen :(

:spin:

What he said..

Will someone in Denver help me with this? 68k miles later, & I'm getting worried.

Sorry for the threadjack, been following forever.

Where in Denver are you? I'd be willing to help ya, it's pretty easy...

Hey, if you guys get together in Denver to do this, I'm in. Work in Englewood. Would like to join you some afternoon after work if possible or some weekend.

TIA

300k miles, BNR 16g, CryoTune, 'Bullet-Proofed' IC, Motor rebuild @ 250k b/c of a cracked exhaust valve. Original 5 EAT. Oil changed religiously @ 3,000 mi.

^^^Look in the Mtn West forum. Next time there is an install day I will help you do it ;)

Duely noted, I have an UP that needs installed.:p:)

Where in Denver are you? I'd be willing to help ya, it's pretty easy...

PM'd..

• 4 weeks later...

The Shop in Lincoln Nebraska now knows how to do banjo bolt replacement on our Legacies, after hours of struggles and swearing :D

Mine were sparkling clean at 55K miles. In fact, so clean, you almost couldn't tell the difference from the new ones.

I printed out my tech the pics and instructions in this topic but he still struggled with it :) He replaced both bolts. He actually ended up filing that little part right above the hexagon [with the filter out of course as to not melt it] and he also managed to puncture a small hole in the timing belt plastic cover, lol. He fixed it like new, no prob. So now I have both replaced and I can have peace of mind. Seeing them clean put me at ease, confirming that the previous owner most likely kept up with oil changes at around 3K miles.

I discovered my previous owner's maintenance schedules yesterday..

OCI right around every 3k miles (he used dino oil, I switched to synth after purchase, no problems), and all major service was done to a 'T'. Really happy to get that news.

Still, I'll be doing this in the next week..

I checked out my passenger side banjo bolt filter tonight and it was basically 99% clean. I have 81k on my car, semi-synthetic from when I bought it at 27k to about 60k when I switched over to full synthetic. 4-5k OCI

Seems to me that everybody that actually changes their oil is not having any problems?? :lol: I had planned on taking the filter out completely but after seeing how clean it was I sprayed it out with brake cleaner and reinstalled it. I'm definitely relieved to know that it's not all plugged up but it doesn't seem that there are any consistent problems according to this thread...

• 2 weeks later...

I cleaned my pass side banjo bolt today. Saw only 3-4 specks on the mesh screen. 5K OCI with full synthetic at 24K.

Of course I lost the copper wash - soon as I removed the bolt, I heard a clink. Coludn't find it so I went to the auto parts store and bought some copper washers - none of them fit. Luckily I picked up an extra one from a BMW oil filter. Thanks for that tip - whoever it was that posted that!

Some tips that helped me:

I removed the coolant supply hose that is right above the banjo bolt and also removed the turbo heat shield, so I could get my big fingers in there.

Also a double thanks to the person who suggested using the string to hold the copper washer - there was no way to get the bolt through there without it falling.

• 1 month later...

Bumping..

Pulled my banjo bolt last night at 72k miles.. I got the car used with 55k miles, and the previous owner was doing 3000-4000 mile oci's with regular dino oil. Since then I've been using synthetic oil at 3000 mile oci's..

The screen was fine. Literally two tiny specks of debris otherwise we could see right through it, left it in..

Pulled mine out this week due to messing with the UP/DP and had lots of room.

76000 miles and not even a spec in mine. I TOOK IT OUT ANYWAY

The mesh in that screen is way to fine, no wonder it was clogging up on some cars.

Mobile 1 5000 mile OCI

Recently been switching oil at 3500 when it needs some added.

• 2 weeks later...

i just want to clarify - there are *2* AVCS banjo bolt filters (right and left), IN ADDITION to *1* turbo oil line banjo bolt filter, yes?

a total of *3* filters.

i know in my FXT there are right/left filters for the AVCS, and i assume the LGT is the same ...

i just want to clarify - there are *2* AVCS banjo bolt filters (right and left), IN ADDITION to *1* turbo oil line banjo bolt filter, yes?

a total of *3* filters.

i know in my FXT there are right/left filters for the AVCS, and i assume the LGT is the same ...

NO. There are TWO. Driver side AVCS and pass side shared AVCS/turbo.

NO. There are TWO. Driver side AVCS and pass side shared AVCS/turbo.

so apparently the FXT and LGT are different. the FXT has banjo bolt filters for the AVCS on the drivers side and also the passenger side - easy to access by removing the rubber part of the intake tube and it sits right under it.

i guess the LGT shares the passenger side AVCS line with the turbo line, so only one banjo bolt filter on the right instead of two?

so apparently the FXT and LGT are different. the FXT has banjo bolt filters for the AVCS on the drivers side and also the passenger side - easy to access by removing the rubber part of the intake tube and it sits right under it.

i guess the LGT shares the passenger side AVCS line with the turbo line, so only one banjo bolt filter on the right instead of two?

If you had read this thread you would have known the answer:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1771234#post1771234

Archived