LegacyGT.com

2.5GT Turbo Oil Supply Banjo Bolt Filter Removal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In general, for any mfr, a TSB does not give you a free service. The freebies come with a recall, or a "secret" recall.

True, but the TSB is addressed towards the technicians, service managers, etc, and does say that it should be checked with the oil change...

I printed one off and took with to my oil change...they now check it.

I presume everyone is checking all three banjo bolt filter locations correct? Two AVCS and the one Turbo Oil Supply? I'm really equally concerned with the AVCS oil supply side at this point, as it is a known source of rough idle, and lack-luster performance. And the last thing I'd want is to have to tear down the engine top end to replace a AVCS set. Probably equally as expensive as R&Ring a turbo, given the availability of good used stock turbo units.

SBT

There are FOUR of these suckers on pre-2006 Imprezas, Foresters and Bajas (they changed it to two sometime in 2005). Apparently LGT has TWO of them:

- one supplying *both* turbo and passenger side AVCS (A, figure 2 below)

- one supplying driver side AVCS (A, figure 1).

These marked as "C" are not present on Legacy, and these were eliminated on other cars since they were causing bad idle problems.

FWIW, my turbo/pass. AVCS side filter was clean at about 40k miles. Frequent OCIs (2.5-3k, only twice 5k).

Diagram below. Note figure 1 shows driver side head, figure 2 shows passenger side head. It can be bit confusing at first.

http://www.bescaredracing.com/sti/tsb/banjo_bolts/avcs/2020-97-05-2.jpg

I think I will have a picture to load up soon, but if you follow the oil line from the top of the turbo around underneath the turbo, you will see a bolt (17mm) that goes into the line and into the engine block. That is the banjo bolt that has the filter...

I am glad I did this w/ the turbo out as it would have been VERY hard with it in. My filter had a few pieces in it when held up to the light. Maybe 90% clear? I removed it to keep the turbo happy ;)

:spin:

Btw, a guy at iwsti replaced the entire fixed oil supply line with braided hoses to prevent oil leaks:

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/engine-power-performance/101927-turbo-oil-feed-avcs-line-replacement.html

I just thought it could be a good idea, to ditch the filter at the block banjo connection and replace it with a serviceable inline oil filter:

http://www.anplumbing.com/shop/images/962230310.jpg

Finally got rid of mine today and have a few notes to add... 56k miles on dino oil, 3000 mile changes, filter was beautiful, not a spec on it...

1) It was easier than I thought, don't be scared.

2) If you have an aftermarket downpipe, remove the turbo heatshield as well, it gives you a LOT more room.

3) You don't need the really short 17mm wrench (4in), the somewhat shorter one (6in) will work fine.

4) We put vaseline on the copper crush washer to hold it in to place, that worked very well, I can't imagine what a pain it would have been without that.

5) Look at it from the front (leaning over the air scoop and bumper, you can see it very nicely that way. Bringing your hand in from the direction gives you a lot better room too....

6) If you oil feed line is a little "under pressure" as mine was, you can slightly loosen the top feed line bolt and the bracket bolt so it's easier to get the bottom banjo bolt started

7) Expect that you'll get oil on the uppipe no matter how careful you try to be and will probably smell oil afterwards when it heats up and then just hope it's that.... :)

Thanks to everyone who contributed info to this thread, it helped out a lot!

Isnt there a filter in the banjo bolt in a feed line on the other side of the motor as well?

Not sure what it feeds but had heard there was one there too.

Should we check this one as well?

See post #255.

It's impossible to get to the second one without removing the timing belt and the intake cam sprocket.

I finally checked mine yesterday. There were some metal shavings in it but it wasn't too bad. The worst part was that one of the bolts on that bracket had some stripped threads so it was a huge pain getting it out of there. I managed to keep the copper washer on the block/head side in place so I didn't have to worry about getting that back on. :)

Hey guys.

I am new here and have been reading over this thread reguarding the banjo bolt filter.

Can anyone advise me what the final word is on whether the screen has to be removed or not? All 4 screens (is it four?) or have I missed something? Sorry,still pretty new this all of this.

The previous owner was a faithful 3000 mile oil changer as will I be.

Thankyou in advance.

Hey guys.

I am new here and have been reading over this thread reguarding the banjo bolt filter.

Can anyone advise me what the final word is on whether the screen has to be removed or not? All 4 screens (is it four?) or have I missed something? Sorry,still pretty new this all of this.

The previous owner was a faithful 3000 mile oil changer as will I be.

Thankyou in advance.

If you have a good maintenance program and get lucky, yeah, you can leave them in... mine was all clear at 57,000 miles... but why risk it, it takes less than an hour, and having it fail has the potential to kill the turbo and the engine...

If junk is getting past your primary filter to block that, you have other problems...

Archived