LegacyGT.com

I am thinking of driving my car - is that a good idea?

rao

So lately I have been considering actually driving my Legacy, but I am a little afraid :redface: because of the damage that could be caused.

I see people drive other cars all of the time, but they aren't high performance machines like the Legacy, although I occasionally see a "sporty" car so you must be able to drive them, but maybe they don't really care about their cars' as much as I do :confused:

Anyhow, the weahter here is going to be sunny and 60 today so that would seem to be a great day to take the car out and drive it.

I typically keep it stored on jack stands so that the tires and suspension do not get :flat spotted", but they I read that could cause damage to the frame and to the bushings, so now I alternate daily between the stands and the ground, but I do rotate the tires a 1/4 turn each time so that do not get any uneven wear.

I also read the start up causes the most engine wear, which is why I usually don't start the engine. how do you people handle that when you drive them? Can yo set a turbo timer so that the engine stays on all of the time? Can I use some sort of special oil to reduce engine wear?

For the paint, I have it all covered with that blue painters' tape so that should be good - does anyone know if that alows the paint to breathe or does it trap moisture against the paint - that sounds bad :eek:

For the windows I tried to get someone to come out and install that clear bras stuff on them, but they all said that was a little crazy, which I don't understand - how else can you protect the windows?

I would appreciate any help with these issues, and I am sure there are some others that I must be missing or that you will point out to me. I'd really like to drive the car soon, if it takes too long to get ready, then the weather might not be ideal and I wouldn't even THINK about driving the car in non-ideal weather.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:lol: too funny and for those who don't know RAO, he is ALWAYS serious.

nothing about a wing, big turbo or the legacy being a 12 second car.

who are you and what did you do to the real RAO?

car for sale. PM me!

OCD is the fourth most common mental disorder and is nearly as common as asthma and diabetes mellitus.[1] In the United States, one in 50 adults has OCD.[2] In severe cases, it affects a person's ability to function in everyday activities. The disorder often has a serious impact on the sufferer's (and their family's) quality of life. Also, the psychological self-awareness of the irrationality of the disorder can be painful. For people with severe OCD, it may take several hours a day to carry out the compulsive acts.

after going back and reading the comments i hope we didnt offend the OP... if you are in fact contemplating driving the car after the amount of care you provide in all the details then i will answer your question with an honest answer....

the joy of owning an object has its rewards for its owner in different ways. if you take joy in keeping items in outstanding condition by ie not driving it then that in itself may be enough to keep you happy. for others maintaining the car and being able to enjoy it are not mutually exclusive but both obtainable with enough time and care. you need to ask yourself if you can handle the stress of driving the car while thinking of all the possible worst case scenarios and if that would detract from the fun the experience should give you....

Best post I've read in a very long time.

I think the upside down is the best option, You don't want all those lubricants down in the bottom of the engine, if you decide to start it.

Storing upside down will keep the top cylinders etc well lubricated, then you can right her(if it's a her) just before you take that deep plunge into the abyss and turn that key.

In either case, I am sure you will be satisfied with your decision.

O.

after going back and reading the comments i hope we didnt offend the OP... if you are in fact contemplating driving the car after the amount of care you provide in all the details then i will answer your question with an honest answer....

the joy of owning an object has its rewards for its owner in different ways. if you take joy in keeping items in outstanding condition by ie not driving it then that in itself may be enough to keep you happy. for others maintaining the car and being able to enjoy it are not mutually exclusive but both obtainable with enough time and care. you need to ask yourself if you can handle the stress of driving the car while thinking of all the possible worst case scenarios and if that would detract from the fun the experience should give you....

Welcome to the site... :rolleyes::lol:

Rao, you forgot to use the sarcasm font! You've got the newbies all flabbergasted.

What type of octane are you putting in your car? cause if you can't afford to put premium in you should'nt have purchased the car!:lol:

I would appreciate any help with these issues, and I am sure there are some others that I must be missing or that you will point out to me. I'd really like to drive the car soon, if it takes too long to get ready, then the weather might not be ideal and I wouldn't even THINK about driving the car in non-ideal weather.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Archived