LegacyGT.com

2.5GT Turbo Oil Supply Banjo Bolt Filter Removal

Just bought my 2005 Legacy GT @ 52K and decided to at least replace the filter. Followed the recommendations of this thread. Did have some particles but was not starving the turbo.

Took pictures while I was putting everything back together. Lost an hour trying to align the second washer until I tried the "flat" dental floss method illustrated in the pictures. Worked immediately.

0.jpg.130f13b70107c8047e4da41aba09bb9d.jpg

1.jpg.264f98e5b48c82fa84da4b2dde60b39c.jpg

2.jpg.dda7b6c14819dddd94c8dffcbcffff07.jpg

3.jpg.45193dc151ee085df405e1a53d159ae6.jpg

4.jpg.035e0726a27f627113cddbc6bead2b23.jpg

5.jpg.535b1275c8425d20372062bb82f31e6a.jpg

6.jpg.a5339027b1c4857e00360be8160c0c2b.jpg

6.1.jpg.c37cc2e2a1004d06016461698868bba3.jpg

6.2.jpg.e428d14b04f4e62be1c49bc54c38a048.jpg

7.jpg.5c7293651280818d0ead1edb4d8b148f.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

swapped mine out today. the screen was completely clean at 96k. FWIW I've been running on a 6.5k OCI.

it seems like a lot of you guys are installing the new bolt the hard way. just install one washer on the bolt first. then hold the second washer in your left hand between your 3rd and 4th fingers and the bolt between your 1st and 2nd. if you push the washer flush against the round part of the hard line, it lines up and you can push the bolt in. the trick is to get your fingers between the round part of the line and the block from the bottom side.

• 1 month later...

Has any one tried holding the second washer on with grease ?

I haven't done this yet, only have about 117,700 miles on the car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I know everyone's checking their screens as a part of maintenance or 'cause of a blown turbo, but what about a blown motor? I remember after my motor died i pulled the dipstick and saw "glitter" in it, could this have made it's way to the turbo/avcs supply filter? If yes it would mean the filter saved my turbo but if it wasn't cleaned or replaced my turbo could be starving it for oil now. I have an '08 LGT so my turbo/avcs banjo would be on the top of the pass cyl head? and the other in the same place as the '05-06' models?

Let me ask you guys this because it is something that's started worrying me recently. When the tech replaced the banjo bolt, he told me he accidentally hit a cover and put a hole in it, but he fixed it. I forget what cover he mentioned and it's been a year, I shrugged it off. What cover is in the vecinity? The only thing I can think of is the timing belt :eek:

Let me ask you guys this because it is something that's started worrying me recently. When the tech replaced the banjo bolt, he told me he accidentally hit a cover and put a hole in it, but he fixed it. I forget what cover he mentioned and it's been a year, I shrugged it off. What cover is in the vecinity? The only thing I can think of is the timing belt :eek:

Probably the valve cover...:eek:

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

The timing belt is nowhere near it, unless he was checking the one on the driver's side.

Wow, that was stupid of me. I was multitasking, I meant something else not the timing belt cover.

Hey guys, my turbo for some reason is different. It is located in the front of the car?

:lol:

I know everyone's checking their screens as a part of maintenance or 'cause of a blown turbo, but what about a blown motor? I remember after my motor died i pulled the dipstick and saw "glitter" in it, could this have made it's way to the turbo/avcs supply filter? If yes it would mean the filter saved my turbo but if it wasn't cleaned or replaced my turbo could be starving it for oil now. I have an '08 LGT so my turbo/avcs banjo would be on the top of the pass cyl head? and the other in the same place as the '05-06' models?

Anybody? My previous post was buried, Just remembered that i'm running '05 STi heads on a new block so it would be the same as '05-06 LGT's.

Banjo bolt would have been the first thing I would have checked on a failed motor. At this point if it were me, I would pull the turbo out and check shaft play along with replacing the bolt. If it goes in a spectacular way and pukes itself into the motor, you'll end up with pretty glitter on the oil dipstick again.

I have been running OCI's of no more than 3,750 with synthetic since 27k......almost 86k now. Should I be worried about the banjo bolt screen? Been COBB Stage 1 93 octane since 60k.

If you're worried enough to be asking, just check/change it. It'll take an hour of your time, and you'll have piece of mined.

Banjo bolt would have been the first thing I would have checked on a failed motor. At this point if it were me, I would pull the turbo out and check shaft play along with replacing the bolt. If it goes in a spectacular way and pukes itself into the motor, you'll end up with pretty glitter on the oil dipstick again.

Thanks for the advice, i'm gonna check this out asap!

I just got finished removing my banjo bolt filter. I was wondering if there were two washers on the banjo bolt? One was on the bolt and when I removed the rag to catch any oil coming out I heard something hit the floor. It was another copper washer. I figured that was where it came from. If anyone knows please let me know.
BE committed to DO what it takes to HAVE more of what you want in your life!!!

yes. there are two washers. one on either side of the banjo fitting (oil line).

i.e. one on the bolt, and one toward the block.

Hmm. I only recall seeing one washer. At least, when I put it back on. But, no oil leaks so far.. Maybe I'll get a new one for the turbo install..

Figured out where the second one came from after searching through my vacation pics. After dropping it like 5 times trying to get it in there it ran away for good. Gotta get a couple of them tomorrow and get it back together.
BE committed to DO what it takes to HAVE more of what you want in your life!!!

there are two.

and for the record, they are not "washers", they are "bonded seals" :cool:

Are they both on the thread part of the bolt (where washers would normally go)? Why two? Is it possible they both stayed on? I'm starting to get a little worried, but it's been like 5K miles without any apparent issue for me..

Archived