LegacyGT.com

2.5GT Turbo Oil Supply Banjo Bolt Filter Removal

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm installing a P&L avcs/turbo oil line today, and when I removed the banjo bolt the filter had a small bit of residue built up. The car has 51k miles and I run synthetic, but I removed the filter anyway.

88k on my banjo filter. Completely clean. I pulled it, but I kind of regret pulling it now, after thinking about it. I'm running a Dom 3, which has a seriously small restrictor. It would be easier to clog the restrictor than to clog the filter.

Castrol GC, and Purolator Pure One filters.

Warren

Wangspeed - What's your OCI?

Just wanted a quickie cross-check, since I use the same combo. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Wangspeed - What's your OCI?

Just wanted a quickie cross-check, since I use the same combo. :)

6k. I was sad when you couldn't get GC for a few months. I'm glad it's back, and seemingly more available than ever.

Warren

^ I stocked up. :)

Thank you for that data-point! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey I'm about to remove the filter in this thread over the weekend (at 110K miles) but I remember reading that there was another filter or two hiding around and I can't seem to find the thread detailing where they are located.

Could you me identify if there's a filter in the pictures of the banjo bolts I've attached or tell me where to look.

Also does the oil in the 4th picture look dried up (I figure this is the one rao got rid of). I remember a mechanic mentioning to me a long time ago (i.e at 30K) there was an issue but than after that I took it to a stealership and they said it had dried up and the issue was mute now. I can't figure out where the leak was/is right now but I figure I might be able to see it when I go and remove the filter.

Thanks,

Richard

Banjo1.jpg.bdd070fd4fdab0764a8d1205ab98989d.jpg

Banjo2.jpg.2d7a8e7ae6fcbb6b7b62da03f8595a50.jpg

Banjo3.jpg.95b1677426dd9a9665505bc0731a5f1e.jpg

Banjo4.thumb.jpg.feda05107d1a7ad70472a10622856f6f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just got done changing this today, And it's not nearly as hard as people make it out to seem. People with fat hands might have a harder time, but its just about getting the right angles, and having the right tools. Follow the write up RAO did and you will have no issues. As can be seen from the pics I moved the wire harness out of the way, as well as the power steering lines. Do this first, as I waited till I was reinstalling the bolt to make the extra room for myself :rolleyes:. To replace the washer on the block side I used a piece of thread through the washer, and taped that to my finger. Then with the other hand, get the bolt into the hole, and then carefully fish the washer down and slide the bolt through. It's a little trickier than it sounds, but not horrible. When all was said and done, my old filter, with 69K on it presumably, had two maybe three specs that were easily visible to the eye. Nothing even remotely close to plugging it. :) I bought the car with 48K on it last year, and assume the previous owner never changed it. Since I have had the car its had Mobil 1 5w30, Royal purple 5w30, Castrol 5w30, German Castrol 0w30, Castrol 5w40, and is currently on German Castrol 0w30 again. I have used Purolator (not pure one), K&N, and Mobil 1 Filters in that time and have done Oil Analysis with good results from all (didnt do one on the MB1 which was the first change I ran through the car). Just my info for the masses....:cool:

Remember, driving you car is damaging it anyways....lol, so this is only prolonging the inevitable..;)

100_1935.thumb.jpg.c431b9e87f38ff16f9bc4cef21224c3f.jpg

100_1933.thumb.jpg.1b18308d7753ff8965186086e9df50e1.jpg

100_1934.thumb.jpg.ac91e355dca02bd3f92c391b89784c54.jpg

100_1936.thumb.jpg.10cee1b5087753d2a4eac17051952436.jpg

100_1940.thumb.jpg.217e39e2bed2fc32c304cffaa57d4368.jpg

100_1943.thumb.jpg.a627ae85942d840c95645d1a0b6c8bf7.jpg

100_1942.thumb.jpg.2e84864e0fe2f30caf6fe7854d6182d9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A variety of Subaru makes, models, and engines, AFAIK, have had weird issues with fuel odors. I've heard, off the top of my head, of owners of relatively new Subarus who have had Leaky injectors, Leaky O-Rings, Leaky or improperly sealed gas-tank necks, etc.

Not sure where that poster was talking about, but I haven't heard alot of cases on Leggy's. My mother in law's 2001 Outback has it....been fixed twice (o-ring) and has come back on other injectors.

"Fuel odor"...not door...lol, but I have no idea what this issue is either..:rolleyes:
The early WRX cars were notorious for loose hose clamps on the fuel rail supply lines. Cold mornings ( or below 40F ) would leak fuel until the engine heat warmed them up enough to seal.

Of course said lines run underneath the intake mani and made getting to the clamps impossible w/o removal of the IM.

And of course SOA would not warranty the problem but would happily charge $500 to fix it.

Can you tell I had this problem on my bugeye..... :mad:

Have not heard of it being an issue on the LGT or newer cars tho.

Archived