LegacyGT.com

2.5GT Turbo Oil Supply Banjo Bolt Filter Removal

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

reviving this from the dead. this wkend i did this union screw/banjo bolt check as well as an rsb and modified hogzawst!

anyways, rao, thanks for the write up. could you add the part numbers for the screw/bolt and gaskets/washers in your directions. i found them elsewhere and someone posted the wrong washer number (803910050 is NOT the one) in another post. that totally screwed me. someone in this thread did post the correct number though (803912040). i reused the old ones and so far so good. btw, this does not take long as long as you have the right tools. get an extension for your socket for two of the bolt/nuts. and use the string trick (tie a loop first) for the one washer. frickin' rsb and brackets were more frustrating.

anyways, wanted to report out: bought car used with 10k miles. i use amsoil and change between 5k and 7500miles. not one visible speck of anything in the filter screen. that's 3/3 on enthusiast forum maintenance worries (on 3 cars) that i did and found nothing. better safe than sorry i guess! car runs better with the new 5w40 and sounds great too!

• 3 weeks later...

I have just recently gotten the recall for the oil line issue taken care of and it got me thinking about the banjo bolt issue and I tried locate it. After going through all the threads and pics, I am questioning whether or not SOA corrected the issue on '08. I am attaching a pic and it looks similar but when I traced the oil line it goes to a banjo bolt that is more under the intake hose than what I saw in previous postings.

In the pic, if you look at where the intake connects to the turbo, one will see a banjo bolt with orange paint stripe. This is on the block.

If this is it, how do you get to the thing. In one of the previous threads, it mentioned the waste gate controller being in the way. Not on mine; it will be the intake tube.

Any thought from someone with an '08 or greater that has accessed the filter?

IMG_0295.thumb.jpg.0ce4530c4f8b04af33b05275a213e224.jpg

'08 OutBack XT limited - Satin White Pearl

AVO FSB Bushings | Ralli-Tek RSB | AVO Drop-in filter

My thought was to use a crows foot socket to access this. If this does not work, I will pull the intake hose and use a regular socket. Tried for 20mins to get my hands in there and no luck. Not too mention any of the wrenches I had.

It would seem that as big of an issue this can be if clogged, that it would be more serviceable for regular checks.

'08 OutBack XT limited - Satin White Pearl

AVO FSB Bushings | Ralli-Tek RSB | AVO Drop-in filter

Just read this entire thread. :lol: Really, not all turbos have filters in-line for the oil supply, so I doubt its needed. If you have anything big enough coming through your oil supply line to clog the filter or junk the turbo....then I would say you have a problem elsewhere.

I will be pulling the filter and replacing the bolt for my friends LGT. She wont have a clue of why or what I'm doing, but after doing some reading it seems like a good idea.

Bolt-14445AA090

Washer-803912040 (2)

From subaruparts.com cost me $25.74 shipped.

I will feel good doing this, even if its considered by some not necessary. Thanks for this thread guys, very informative. :thumbsup:

Vash-

• 1 month later...

I attempted to replace the banjo bolt. I got as far as the nut on the stud to remove the bracket. I could not for the life of me get the f-ing nut loose even using a 3 foot long cheater bar. Anyone resorted to using an impact wrench to loosen it?

Guess how much the dealer wanted to charge me to replace it...$700. I made sure it wasn't the price for the AVCS fitler up front. WTF are they thinking?

So if you install a new turbo, will it come with a new banjo bolt and filter or will I need to have the original filter cleaned?

This thread is not pertaining to the turbo banjo bolt but the bolt in the back of the block near the top of the uppipe(at least on the 05-06's). A new turbo will not come with a new turbo banjo bolt. There is no filter in the turbo banjo bolt. Its much much easier to get to this bolt when doing a uppipe or turbo swap.

I attempted to replace the banjo bolt. I got as far as the nut on the stud to remove the bracket. I could not for the life of me get the f-ing nut loose even using a 3 foot long cheater bar. Anyone resorted to using an impact wrench to loosen it?

I usually find breaker bars more persuasive than impact guns for really stubborn fasterns (and I have 600 ft lbs. air impact).

This thread is not pertaining to the turbo banjo bolt but the bolt in the back of the block near the top of the uppipe(at least on the 05-06's). A new turbo will not come with a new turbo banjo bolt. There is no filter in the turbo banjo bolt. Its much much easier to get to this bolt when doing a uppipe or turbo swap.

Thank you for the helpful info!

• 3 weeks later...

Tried to do this over the weekend. EPIC FAIL :lol:. I could not for the life of me break the bolt loose from the stud, which confirms my suspicions that the stealership tech didn't check it during the last oil change either. eff'n liars.

rao fly out to Phoenix and help me out...you can golf your brains out while your here!

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

Tried to do this over the weekend. EPIC FAIL :lol:. I could not for the life of me break the bolt loose from the stud, which confirms my suspicions that the stealership tech didn't check it during the last oil change either. eff'n liars.

rao fly out to Phoenix and help me out...you can golf your brains out while your here!

A dealer lied :eek: say it isn't so.

Where's my plane ticket? I don't do golf, but if you could line up an engine swap to work on that would be good ;)

I have a 2005 and it looks like the Turbo Banjo Bolt is on the top and "easy" to access and replace. Do I have the wrong bolt? Looks like the same picture posted by ch0232[/url].

Right line, wrong end - that is the turbo end, you need the engine side ;)

I just did mine today. It was 100% clean, but I removed the filter anyway.

A little history on my car...

It now has 43,000 miles and I have used M1 10w-30 synth since day one, oil change every 5000 miles give or take. I have been stage 2 for about 1/2 of those miles.

List of races / abuse this car has seen:

2 HPDE events

2 Auto-X

10 Rally-X

3 1/4 mile passes

and countless other street abuse.

I was quite pleased that the filter was clear!

I am still switching to Redline 10w-40 synth for the next 2 oil changes (I won some from Rally-X racing) , if I don't win any more, I plan on changing over to Rotella snyth.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

A dealer lied :eek: say it isn't so.

Where's my plane ticket? I don't do golf, but if you could line up an engine swap to work on that would be good ;)

Yah they dun lied ta meh :lol:. Sorry, no engine swap here but I would buy you a steak dinner at our steakhouse and maybe comp you a room for my laundry list of maintenance items I don't have the skills or the patience for.

http://www.jwdesertridgeresort.com/ :cool:

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

ok, removing that bolt should be the 1st thing to do when I'll get my LGT 2005 ?

The filter screen inside the bolt is at issue. There are many schools of thought on removing the screen all together versus just increasing your OCI and using synthetics. I'm guessing if your turbo blows and the tech finds that you removed the filter screen you're screwed also :spin:. It would be nice if it were more convenient to check the screen on a regular basis.

heu... yeah, I mean removing that "screen in the bolt" hehe...

OCI = Oil Change Interval ?

Yes, I'll be using synthetics.

Maybe I'll just remove it when I'll be out of warranty.

Thanks ! :)

I did mine the other day. There was some very slight build up in it, but it was mostly clean at 53k.

Just to see how restricted it was, I tried blowing through it. Wow, even if the filter is perfectly clear, it still is restricting oil flow like crazy. I'm glad I got rid of it.

Except I think I might have lost one of the washers. I've been checking it a couple times a day to make sure nothings leaking, but I'm going to tear it apart again this weekend to make sure

I did mine the other day. There was some very slight build up in it, but it was mostly clean at 53k.

Just to see how restricted it was, I tried blowing through it. Wow, even if the filter is perfectly clear, it still is restricting oil flow like crazy. I'm glad I got rid of it.

Except I think I might have lost one of the washers. I've been checking it a couple times a day to make sure nothings leaking, but I'm going to tear it apart again this weekend to make sure

No need to tear it apart, use a mechanic's mirror and a bright flashlight and you can see if the washer is there. If it isn't, tear away. Oh, and if you didn't already, be sure to properly anneal them if you're putting the old ones back in. ;)

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd chime in here and let everyone know that I had the dealership replace my banjo bolts. They replaced two banjo bolts (not sure which ones) but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the one on the block near the passenger side cam cover.

I asked them to keep the old parts and to my surprise the original bolts did not have any screens in them. Strange. Well, the new banjo bolts have screens in them so they're in there for better or for worse.

Edit - forgot to mention that I have an 05 LGT wagon.

Archived