LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Today being slow at work i decided to clean and degrease the Legacy. As a tow truck operator with a car with tan leather interior, I can attest that dirt/grime build up happens quick! Interior is clean, glass is clean, and so is the outside. At this point you can really see how beat up the front bumper cover is. It's disheartening. I have a plan with a OB cover and modding it to remove the flares. Seeing decently clean again makes me miss driving it even more. 

Oh! And I changed the oil, did a quick underneath, no major leaks or issues.. though, now I'm wondering about a header... 🤔🤔🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

Test fitted the Invidia downpipe.... It appears it is for manual only car. 😛

I guess I will be doing some modification.  I already cut off the mounting bracket, but it still hits the back of the 5eat.  A 3" section grafted into the middle of the front straight should move that bend far enough back to clear.  My stock mid-pipe is already hacked, so I need to do some welding on that anyway.

I also have a 3" flex pipe I could weld in there which might make it fit.

298980834_391060552969416_6842353834306693331_n copy.jpg

It's 10:13am, I just finished cleaning up the two under engine ground wire I made up years ago. I had thought about cleaning them when I had the lower engine cover for the oil pan replacement, but I forgot. I guess that's the old age thing...kicking in, LOL.

There was quite a bit of rust around the driver's side strap in the frame rail. I was surprised to see the contact area was still metal to metal, not looking too bad. After wire bushing both ends of both straps and contact points, I sprayed the frame contacts with Fluid Film. 

I did spray all 4 bolts with Aero-Kroil, used the Dewalt 12v impact driver with impact sockets and everything came apart pretty easy. I did put a small dab of anti-seize on the bolt threads going back together.

I also put new lockwire around the remaining heat shield on the passenger side exhaust manifold. Making it tight so it doesn't rattle. 

Oh, retirement is great. Plan for it. 

• Like 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

sold the race wagon. well got paid for it.

i waz fine moving stuff out for the shipper to pick up. now buyer wants an itemized inventory of stuff shipping. annoyed at having to make a list of $1000's being given away.

grumble...

my rv continues to block access to boxkita's wagon. probably for the best. every time i drive it, something breaks 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Replaced both rear wheel bearings.  Found out my front tires were starting to show cords on the inside of the front two tires.  Did an oil change.  Then after about a week settled on some Pilot Sport 4s.  Next up is to change my rear diff bushing, gasket and fluid.  But currently in the middle of a basement renovation that is taking up any extra money we have.   

• Like 2

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

Shop cut out and replaced my upper rear control arms today. They were rotten, the bushing had disintegrated basically and it was metal on metal. But aside from the rear trailing, which are in good shape, all control arms are new including hardware. Alignment is dialed in. 

Also received new redline shift and ebrake boots from DocDave that’ll match the rest of my interior trim nicely. Can’t wait to install those.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, BoozeRS05 said:

Shop cut out and replaced my upper rear control arms today. They were rotten, the bushing had disintegrated basically and it was metal on metal. But aside from the rear trailing, which are in good shape, all control arms are new including hardware. Alignment is dialed in. 

Also received new redline shift and ebrake boots from DocDave that’ll match the rest of my interior trim nicely. Can’t wait to install those.

Been there with both my wagons…. I was lucky, the metal bits were being held from contacting each other by a good sized layer of rust tho… ;)

I think 2 years ago now I sprayed off the undercarriage of my wagon really well and used one of those FluidFilm kits on it, three cans of product with the different wands. I don’t drive my wagon even in the rain anymore, which is obviously big, but that stuff really worked. It looks way cleaner and rust isn’t spreading.

20 hours ago, tysparks81 said:

Replaced both rear wheel bearings.  Found out my front tires were starting to show cords on the inside of the front two tires.  Did an oil change.  Then after about a week settled on some Pilot Sport 4s.  Next up is to change my rear diff bushing, gasket and fluid.  But currently in the middle of a basement renovation that is taking up any extra money we have.   

Please tell us you had an alignment done for those new tires ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Wiped my white wheels down. 2 days and it came off easy with carpro eraser and a microfiber rag. Probably won't go more than 4-5 days, maybe fewer if it rains. The stock five spokes don't have much detail, so it's only a 10 minute process. I definitely wouldn't do white 10 spoke wheels on a daily driver. 

They still look so cool to me except for the increased offset of the stock wheels tucking them further in to the wheel wells.

Tangentially related, going from 245 to 225 tires has lightened up steering significantly. I expect when I finish the OZs it'll get dartier with the 225 tire on an 8" wheel instead of the stock 7".

• Like 1

Finished modifying Invidia downpipe to fit around the 5eat.  I had to chop off one of my sections and redo it once I put the car back on the ground and only had 3.5" of ground clearance.  I added two spacers with a captive nut near the bellmouth for a heat shield at some point in the future.

Took off the mid section and mufflers together since the bolts were rusted together. I had to cut them apart, but it wasn't so bad since I had like 1/4" of space between them, where the gasket used to be.  They rusted away?

I'll be welding an extra plate onto the flange of both the mufflers and midpipe after I grind, weld (fill), grind and get something that resembles a flat flange.

Edited by pksystems

Any ideas?

My front left sway bar bushing is constantly creaking. I had older yellow Whitelines in there so I replaced them with the newer grease-free black ones and the noise went away. Fast forward 5,000 km and it is creaking again. My mechanic greased it and now less than 1,000 kms later it is creaking again. What could be causing just that bushing to creak, over two sets within the year?

Can somebody link the bracket with the grease fitting? I can't find that thread.

Are any other brands better? CKE, Superpro (premium Whiteline?), ES, Prothane? These would be for the 22mm Whiteline bar.

Try wrapping the bar itself with Teflon tape. I've heard that's helped a bunch. 

There's also a guy on/near here that was selling his own bushings - screen name "traildogck" . If he doesn't offer a greaseable version, he might have additional insights on minimizing noise. 

Edited by seanyb505

Cyl 3 misfire at high load/high rpm after doing passenger side valve cover gaskets. Ugh.

Overdue for plugs anyway, but any other ideas on what it might be? Could it be vac lines under the TMIC? Also, my oil leak wasn't from the valve cover gaskets. Ugh x2.

I've had a lift for a couple of years but never tried to drop in an engine using it. 3 hours to drop it in, including a couple wasted hours not realizing I'd put the d link in the wrong spot so it would never mate.

Still had to do some funky stuff to get it in place. Built a bridge to lift the transmission up so I could get the engine mounts to fit. After that, finding a non-stripped bolt for the top of the transmission took a couple of tries.

Sure beats the last few times. 

Packing the race wagon tomorrow for pickup on saturday. sad face

• Sad 1

Signed up to AutoX it again this Sunday, wheeee!

In other unfortunate news: car has been puffing a cloud of oil smoke when starting after sitting for a while. After sitting days/weeks, it's a reasonably large blue-ish cloud, between AutoX runs is a small white-ish cloud. Both smell of oil. New motor is consuming a little oil, but it doesn't seem to be happening during autox/track, and it's nothing egregious to my understanding (less than 1qt after ~2-3 autoX events and 2 track nights). Still concerning and hoping there's nothing actually wrong with the new motor.

9 hours ago, JF1GG29 said:

Cyl 3 misfire at high load/high rpm after doing passenger side valve cover gaskets. Ugh.

Overdue for plugs anyway, but any other ideas on what it might be? Could it be vac lines under the TMIC? Also, my oil leak wasn't from the valve cover gaskets. Ugh x2.

Loose coil pack connector? Coil pack connector clips tend to fall apart over time which may result in poor electrical connection. I use zip ties :spin:

Edited by xt2005bonbon

9 minutes ago, solidxsnake said:

In other unfortunate news: car has been puffing a cloud of oil smoke when starting after sitting for a while. After sitting days/weeks, it's a reasonably large blue-ish cloud, between AutoX runs is a small white-ish cloud. Both smell of oil. New motor is consuming a little oil, but it doesn't seem to be happening during autox/track, and it's nothing egregious to my understanding (less than 1qt after ~2-3 autoX events and 2 track nights). Still concerning and hoping there's nothing actually wrong with the new motor.

How old is the turbo?

23 minutes ago, solidxsnake said:

if white smoke, your head gaskets might be leaking. autox will make this worse. white smoke at an autox is how i lost my engine the second time. hg had failed 

On 8/17/2022 at 9:51 AM, Max Capacity said:

Please tell us you had an alignment done for those new tires ?

Hahaha, yes alignment was done when I swapped the rear wheel bearing, and had it re-checked when the new tires went on.

• Like 1

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here