Jump to content
LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10


Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, seanyb505 said:

Is that the job where some of the actuators are no longer available new? 

On topic, my driver's seat is slowing turning to garbage. My sweet wife even went as far to end up talking to SBT on a local Facebook group trying to find a replacement lol! 

Anyway I've got two ideas to remedy this:

- Junkyard - could I remove just the bottom cover of the seat or are they pretty inseparable?

- Copart to get an entire black interior. I'm sure this would end up being way more difficult logistically than simply "buying a crashed car." Does anyone have any experience with that? I might be able to do it through a shop, as it sounds like regular Joe's can't just sign up and bid. 

 

I am in the same boat. Driver side seat bottom cushion has a large tear :(. So ugly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So the seat bottom cushion can be replaced if it is that bad. Just get familiar with the use of hog rings and get read to cut your hands a bit. Years ago I bid on a copart car to swap from tan to black interior. Luckily I lost that bid because I found a GT wagon in the junk yard in mint condition and gutted that. Way less expensive and less hassle

As for the vent actuators. I don't see how the left side temp control can be replaced with dash in. Also all superseded part numbers work. I have a mix of the 07-09 and 05 part number actuators and have had no issue (all new actuators and pleasantly quiet). Just order them all, pull the dash and knock it out at once. Dash isn't difficult to pull imo. Link below on the thread and i cover it a little in my build thread too

 

  • Thanks 4

Wagon is LIFE! - 250,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With my local junkyard jacking prices, a copart car suddenly isn't that far off. I've got no idea what crashed up limited outback 2.5i's are finally selling for, but for the current bid prices near me, I'd pay a slight premium to have the whole donor in my garage until I'm finished with the project. 

But yeah I'll probably attempt to grab a cover that's even a little bit better than my current fart laden perforated rags for $20, then relegate the black interior dream to the attic.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey, appreciate the info with my vent doors! You guys are great! I have a brand new dash from Subaru in my parts pile, so I’ll be in there eventually to do that.

Also, my solution to my driver seat bottom shredding was to replace it. 2010 WRX seat plug and play for the driver side, not as simple for the passenger side, but I don’t care if they don’t match. Got this guy for $70 at the local junk yard.

Although I do get a lot of - love your WRX now :(

0D79D722-E7BD-4C30-AE2C-C8D4F9683363.jpeg

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So decide to get the car out today, ran back inside when the car was running in the garage, then ran back out and saw what I thought was a puddle of fuel before I went to work. I shut the car down grabbed my fire extinguisher. well I was not fuel, but I have no idea where this line popped off of. It smelled like some type of fluid. I was fixing my IC pipe before so not sure if I knocked it off.

 

Does anyone know where I connect this back to? Is it brake fluid, clutch fluid? It did dry up very fast of the garage floor. No fuel smell. Thanks for the help. I pulled the hose up cause it was down below. I will not driving it till I figure it out. 😪

legaypart.jpg

Edited by NORULZleggy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If it evaporated quickly, then it's not brake or clutch fluid. That would've hung around forever. No fuel smells rules out gasoline presumably...

Can you follow the hose back to it's source? Wrong side of the car from what I can see, but maybe it was the condensate drain from the HVAC system? In which case, it would just be water draining away, so no big deal...

I might've guessed fuel pressure regulator boost reference hose, but it looks like that's all non-stock from the photo?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/9/2022 at 10:20 AM, KZJonny said:

You nailed it. Vent door actuators. Mine does the same thing, that plus a noise like a coffee percolator some days. I believe jaylew has all the parts listed in his build thread somewhere, and it's also been described how many (all?) can be replaced without entirely removing the dash.

Some have pulled them apart to clean and re-lubricate, while others just replaced everything since the job even without removing the dash supposedly isn't great fun. I'm planning on trying out the in-dash replacement and rebuilding method when I have more time to spare.

Mine started doing the same thing yesterday. Really been doing it the last few months but yesterday became waaaay louder than it’s been so now I know they’re on their way out and I’m on borrowed time . 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤬🤬🤬
 

ps-just saw previous posts related to this. Thank you everyone for providing info it’s greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

I checked my local dealer and seems like all 4 are still available? I don’t know much about this at this point, but I need to do some more digging. There’s a lot of parts in the HVAC inner control assy that have been discontinued, but I’m not sure at this point which are needed for the fix. 

Edited by SoobyDoobyDoo
Thanking people for invaluable info in this awesome car community!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, jaylew said:

So the seat bottom cushion can be replaced if it is that bad. Just get familiar with the use of hog rings and get read to cut your hands a bit. Years ago I bid on a copart car to swap from tan to black interior. Luckily I lost that bid because I found a GT wagon in the junk yard in mint condition and gutted that. Way less expensive and less hassle

Now that I think about it, one could find a descent shape front passenger seat bottom cushion cover, and go through the hassle to remove it and install it on the driver side.

Edited by xt2005bonbon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, seanyb505 said:

Are the contours identical? Probably a great option considering reduced butt mileage 

 

I can't tell any difference. I would swap the whole cushion and cover but I understand you can't really do that due to the passenger weight sensor thingy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KZJonny said:

If it evaporated quickly, then it's not brake or clutch fluid. That would've hung around forever. No fuel smells rules out gasoline presumably...

Can you follow the hose back to it's source? Wrong side of the car from what I can see, but maybe it was the condensate drain from the HVAC system? In which case, it would just be water draining away, so no big deal...

I might've guessed fuel pressure regulator boost reference hose, but it looks like that's all non-stock from the photo?

 

Found it it was the old vapor hose from the top of the gas tank that ran to my old fuel rails. Now that I have full fuel system I do not need it. I was told by the shop that is was nothing to worry about , so I am going to take car of it tonight. Thanks

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, BoozeRS05 said:

Hey, appreciate the info with my vent doors! You guys are great! I have a brand new dash from Subaru in my parts pile, so I’ll be in there eventually to do that.

Also, my solution to my driver seat bottom shredding was to replace it. 2010 WRX seat plug and play for the driver side, not as simple for the passenger side, but I don’t care if they don’t match. Got this guy for $70 at the local junk yard.

Although I do get a lot of - love your WRX now :(

0D79D722-E7BD-4C30-AE2C-C8D4F9683363.jpeg

 

Plug & Play even for the airbag?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, BoozeRS05 said:

Hey, appreciate the info with my vent doors! You guys are great! I have a brand new dash from Subaru in my parts pile, so I’ll be in there eventually to do that.

Also, my solution to my driver seat bottom shredding was to replace it. 2010 WRX seat plug and play for the driver side, not as simple for the passenger side, but I don’t care if they don’t match. Got this guy for $70 at the local junk yard.

Although I do get a lot of - love your WRX now :(

0D79D722-E7BD-4C30-AE2C-C8D4F9683363.jpeg

I must do this. I really miss my 09 WRX and the seats in it. Is the height the same and is it just a direct bolt in?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, the driver seat requires swapping seat belt buckle and I think move over the seat position sensor. Driver side is really easy, airbag is direct plug in and so is the heater I believe (my WRX heater is broken). One guy on YT has solid walkthroughs for both front seats into a wagon. A functional airbag is the tricky part for the passenger seat I think.

I’m 6’1” and 170, so I move all around in the LGT seats. Not this seat, it holds me in waaay better. No problem for me losing the electric adjuster, found a manual setting that is great and I’m pretty tall. My WRX seat moves manually up/down, forward and back, same basic position and direct bolt in place as LGT. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/9/2022 at 1:39 PM, seanyb505 said:

https://katzkin.com/what-do-you-drive/subaru-legacy-leather-seats/

Unfortunately they only go back to 2007 so us 2005 folk are sol 😆

I didn't bother with looking for pricing, but I'm pretty sure they're stupid expensive relative to the rest of our cars. 

 

I did not see your post. Still getting used to the new look of this site..

Isn't the 2007 bottom seat cushion essentially the same size and dimension as our MY? I would think so. I own a 2005 and 2006. Only diff between the two are the head rest.

Edited by xt2005bonbon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just asking, with all the post above, about swapping the seats, isn't there a thread about that somewhere else on this Forum ?

If not, maybe the DIY forum would be a good place to start one.

 

If the title for that thread is clear about swapping seats, it would be easy to find in a Google search.

 

I did a Google search last week asking, how to replace oil pan on a 2005 subaru legacy and the thread from here from 2012, popped up. 

 

305,000miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

 

Engine Build - Click Here

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ugh. Less that I did a thing, and more that a thing happened…

The rearmost exhaust hangers are both pretty rusty, and the passenger side (clearly) was pretty rough. I could see this when doing the exhaust install, but kept my fingers crossed it would be fine until the Fall when I take the GT off the road. Nope.

So now I need to find time to fabricate a new one and (weld?) it in. Which actually got me thinking that probably some SS nutserts and stainless hex cap screws would be sufficient and probably easier than taking a shower in sparks underneath the car. I can fab up a new hanger bracket from SS plate and rod…. Anyone else been down this road before?

405A583B-334F-453A-9D2C-3F095296839A.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Max Capacity said:

Just asking, with all the post above, about swapping the seats, isn't there a thread about that somewhere else on this Forum ?

If not, maybe the DIY forum would be a good place to start one.

 

If the title for that thread is clear about swapping seats, it would be easy to find in a Google search.

 

I did a Google search last week asking, how to replace oil pan on a 2005 subaru legacy and the thread from here from 2012, popped up. 

 

 

I am lazy you know :spin:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not so much lazy, I just enjoy ideating with the awesome longtime members on here. I'm sure there is a walk through somewhere. But "doooods my seat is broke to broken wat do???" is easier to post and get some general guidance before spending an hour reading a 2013 thread, if that thread still exists. 

 

ARE YOU HAPPY NOW I HAD TO SEARCH TO FIND THIS  😆

 

Edited by seanyb505
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, KZJonny said:

Ugh. Less that I did a thing, and more that a thing happened…

The rearmost exhaust hangers are both pretty rusty, and the passenger side (clearly) was pretty rough. I could see this when doing the exhaust install, but kept my fingers crossed it would be fine until the Fall when I take the GT off the road. Nope.

So now I need to find time to fabricate a new one and (weld?) it in. Which actually got me thinking that probably some SS nutserts and stainless hex cap screws would be sufficient and probably easier than taking a shower in sparks underneath the car. I can fab up a new hanger bracket from SS plate and rod…. Anyone else been down this road before?

405A583B-334F-453A-9D2C-3F095296839A.jpeg

I'm in the same boat. The right side bracket rusted off a few weeks ago. Mine is not hanging down like yours is. But yeah, a piece of metal strapping and self taping screws would be fine for the 18y/o car. Welding would mean you have to remove items from the back side. The guy at the muffler shop told me they can't do that repair based on what happened once when they tried...can you say fire.

  • Like 1

305,000miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

 

Engine Build - Click Here

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use