LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

1 hour ago, xt2005bonbon said:

Loose coil pack connector? Coil pack connector clips tend to fall apart over time which may result in poor electrical connection. I use zip ties :spin:

DSCN4696.thumb.JPG.49cbb6ed2efc4ad21baa5a88b1d41312.JPG

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

1 hour ago, xt2005bonbon said:

How old is the turbo?

Put a JmP VF46 Custom in the car around 120k miles to my memory... chassis has 174k right now (new motor has ~4k to my memory).

58 minutes ago, boxkita said:

if white smoke, your head gaskets might be leaking. autox will make this worse. white smoke at an autox is how i lost my engine the second time. hg had failed 

That would be a huge bummer, but I suppose it's possible I mangled the head gaskets when assembling the motor. What's the telltale sign of a leaking HG (between cylinder and oil galleys)? I'm not experiencing anything related to losing/burning coolant, so it would just be oil related... perhaps I check the plugs and see if a particular cylinder/bank has abnormal signs of oil burning?

8 hours ago, solidxsnake said:

Put a JmP VF46 Custom in the car around 120k miles to my memory... chassis has 174k right now (new motor has ~4k to my memory).

That would be a huge bummer, but I suppose it's possible I mangled the head gaskets when assembling the motor. What's the telltale sign of a leaking HG (between cylinder and oil galleys)? I'm not experiencing anything related to losing/burning coolant, so it would just be oil related... perhaps I check the plugs and see if a particular cylinder/bank has abnormal signs of oil burning?

compression test? you'll see at least one cylinder lower than rest.

i was blowing white smoke under load but no real loss of power. limped home and started an epic 2000 post thread. :)

look underneath for oil dripping. also check radiator for oil drops. that was the first clue i had issues, other than smoke.

• Thanks 1

On 8/18/2022 at 11:14 PM, JF1GG29 said:

Cyl 3 misfire at high load/high rpm after doing passenger side valve cover gaskets. Ugh.

Overdue for plugs anyway, but any other ideas on what it might be? Could it be vac lines under the TMIC? Also, my oil leak wasn't from the valve cover gaskets. Ugh x2.

Have you replaced the wiring harness?  That took care of my missfires at higher rpm.  Mechanic told me it should be a 10 year maintenance item even if not an overt problem.

21 minutes ago, MajorWood said:

Have you replaced the wiring harness?  That took care of my missfires at higher rpm.  Mechanic told me it should be a 10 year maintenance item even if not an overt problem.

Hate to be that guy... I have 304,800 miles on the harness that came in my wagon when I bought it June 28 2004. I have replaced the coils on it, a few weeks ago.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I saw what looked like oil leaking from the bottom of the fill tube recently so I replaced the oring in there. It’s def not leaking anymore, and I swear it helped clean up my data logs a bit. The old oring was molded in place and not soft anymore, plus oil was making its way down around the coil pack. Get around to replacing little hoses, gaskets and orings 

Not the wiring harness, that’s probably  fine

• Like 1

On 8/19/2022 at 9:39 AM, xt2005bonbon said:

Loose coil pack connector? Coil pack connector clips tend to fall apart over time which may result in poor electrical connection. I use zip ties :spin:

On 8/19/2022 at 10:50 AM, Max Capacity said:

DSCN4696.thumb.JPG.49cbb6ed2efc4ad21baa5a88b1d41312.JPG

Thanks for the tip -- going to zip-tie the #3cyl when I get everything buttoned up.

11 hours ago, MajorWood said:

Well, I really hope it doesn't come down to changing out the engine harness.

Also, 304k miles!  🦾

Edited by JF1GG29

Did plugs and cylinder 3 coil pack. I don't know how some of you do it in under an hour. It was a pretty legitimate battle. Coils were a piece of cake but spark plugs took everything I had: every 3/8" extension, wobble, universal, deep socket, 12-pt -- the works! Hardest by far was the #3 plug: shitty access and long-term heat damage.

And... the plugs I pulled were Denso branded and gapped at 0.040-ish. 🤬

And my wife asks why I don't take the car to the shop for these things...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JF1GG29 said:

Did plugs and cylinder 3 coil pack. I don't know how some of you do it in under an hour. It was a pretty legitimate battle. Coils were a piece of cake but spark plugs took everything I had: every 3/8" extension, wobble, universal, deep socket, 12-pt -- the works! Hardest by far was the #3 plug: shitty access and long-term heat damage.

It takes me a few hours to do it. So far the best method I've learned to date was to use a plug socket with a 1.5" extension. Then have your ratchet with another 1.5" extension. Set the socket/extension into the plug tube, take ratchet and other extension and just set it in the socket/extension setup. Don't lock them in place, and loosen them that way. It's a PITA. And of course tightening is the opposite...

On 8/21/2022 at 4:10 AM, JF1GG29 said:

Not gonna lie, my dealer charged me 125 bucks both time on my cars about 5 years ago, I brought in NGK plugs. I ran after I paid that cheap price lol. I used to do all that, but now that I have got older and have busy kid and making a few more coins, I take it to the trusted shop.

On 8/18/2022 at 1:38 PM, seanyb505 said:

Try wrapping the bar itself with Teflon tape. I've heard that's helped a bunch. 

There's also a guy on/near here that was selling his own bushings - screen name "traildogck" . If he doesn't offer a greaseable version, he might have additional insights on minimizing noise. 

I forgot about trying the teflon tape. Thanks for reminding me.

traildogck = CKE. If the teflon tape doesn't work I'll reach out to him to see what he can do. Currently he doesn't have any 22-mm bushings listed on eBay.

1 hour ago, NORULZleggy said:

Not gonna lie, my dealer charged me 125 bucks both time on my cars about 5 years ago, I brought in NGK plugs. I ran after I paid that cheap price lol. I used to do all that, but now that I have got older and have busy kid and making a few more coins, I take it to the trusted shop.

$125 is great, I would pay that all day long. But I'm in a new area and don't trust any of the shops yet. 

2 hours ago, JF1GG29 said:

$125 is great, I would pay that all day long. But I'm in a new area and don't trust any of the shops yet. 

Have seen this thread yet ? It may help.  Or tell us where your located.

• Thanks 1

I did a thing.

D4645531-7416-4C5B-8974-E3680D373092.thumb.jpeg.59c8f96bff28ae2ddb4979826658b47d.jpeg

Adressing the broken off exhaust hanger and the drooping muffler. Cleaned up and ground down the original stub of the hanger post and made up a bracket that bolts into the rearmost hitch bolt location.

If any if you are pro welders. I’m sorry. I was in a hurry and didn’t feel like loading in the correct wire. It’ll hold, For a while.

3386D0C7-2D8B-429E-A592-5292B4A94855.thumb.jpeg.735adb271d25f7e67913ddb990956754.jpeg0F0992C9-2CDF-46AF-8963-6190C8BB6EC8.thumb.jpeg.4fb738a90e3e228d1f51dde81530525b.jpeg

The geometry is a wrong, and I suspect things might rub a little, but I can adjust that stuff later. Muffler tip is damn near the exact right place tho.

Didn’t get a rear end photo before it got too dark. Had to go for a test drive before that.

Edit: Looking at the photos again now. (After a lovely evening cruise…) my first thought was I need to cut off the stub and weld it in the opposite direction, to make the rubber hanger a more logical fit… Then I realized I can probably just turn the assembled bracket 180* and bend it a little, to make everything line up a little better. (Facepalm…)

Edited by KZJonny
  • Like 3

Thanks. My first reaction to it breaking off had been to replicate the original mounting point out of SS sheet metal and tig the the whole thing, the mount it via nutserts.....

But, I really wanted to go for a drive. So I opened a beer, stared at the problem for a little bit, and saw that this might work. Little bit of bar steel and a flap wheel did the trick. So, I'm becoming more of a redneck I suppose? Dunno.

The beer was good, the fix worked, and I go to go for a nice evening cruise. I guess I am.

Edited by KZJonny
  • Like 1

Uuugghh Decided to drive the legacy this morning. so I fixed the IC pipe that keeps coming off, and I thought I made it tight. Well got to play games with a Demon on the highway to work in the cold morning are and guess what, yep full ewag screaming like banshee and boost holding strong and the IC pipe blew off 😬.

The shop that did my car thinks the engine and doing something under boost with all the new mounts and pulling at the silicon pipe.  Thank god it was after we had some fun pulls back and fourth. I also saw today that there is some oily stuff that might be making the pipe come off. I did get the new pipe and we might fab a bracket so it does not happen again.

By the way this is the 2nd time I have had a chance to play with a dodge demon, and they are not that quick from 75-80 as most think. Funny he gave me thumbs up said he didn't know my car was going pull like it did cause it looks stock. I now need gas, my fuel system was thirsty 🤑. Just a Month before I go back to the dyno and get my full exhaust on and new tune. just been too busy and stuff is sitting in my garage. Really sucks I can not really get on it much but I still love this under dog.

On 8/16/2022 at 9:08 AM, seanyb505 said:

Finished product!

Now to research white wheel cleaning products... 

20220816_083446_HDR.jpg

looks fantastic.  i always wanted to white on black with mine, but never did.

otherwise... i wish i had kept the LGT in better condition.  my allroad has been totaled.  what was a minor, slow speed accident added up to a ton of damage.  got hit directly in the front driver's wheel.

Edited by snow05gtRI
  • Thanks 1

yeah.  it's been sitting forever.  motor fires up right away with a jump-start and sounds fine, but the brake line ruptured part way down the frame rail on the passenger side (not by the wheel) so it's currently immobile.  letting a great build go to waste.

my goal had been get a place with enough space that i could tinker on it with the allroad as my DD, but life just never went that way (things changed in life, covid hit, moved overseas for the better part of 2 years, etc.), so it's been sitting mostly parked for a while now, getting started and driven by my dad every now and then, but that slowly turned into just getting started.  i don't blame him, it's just another chore.

should've sold it a while back but was never around.

There is, a bit.  It's just not local to me at the moment, and I'm slightly concerned getting it back to full health is a long and somewhat expensive road.  But i guess i won't know until i start looking into it.

Sorta have something lined up to replace the allroad, but it's a bit over a month until I would be able to get it if I do...

• Like 1

Started pulling pieces off the front end so I can install new parts.

It looks like I'm riding on JDM KYB New SR struts with STi pinks.

Scrubbed down the mid pipe and mufflers with Eastwood afterblast and hung them to dry so they can be painted.