LegacyGT.com

my Subaru will beat with a Buick heart!

well.. i am going to use megashift from mega squirt to control the tranny .. this will alow me to get rid of stupid comfort shifting via electronic means.. and then also do what ever valve body mods i need to do.. mostlikely just raise the line pressure ..

for any gm automatic 97 and newer and i want to do a shift improvements to them i simpley cut 1 wire going into the tranny and its instant hard shifting :) my 4t 65e for my sunbird is completely stock and with the tranny operating at full line pressure and has lasted two years behind that 3.8 with out any problems..

also with megasquirt / mega shift it will allow me to kill timming during shifts so i can improve tranny life that way also.. essentially when an automatic tranny is is a gear its holding ability is much stronger. i'm sure staying in a gear the tranny will hold 600 hp.

I also made a center diffrential strengthining modification to mechanical hold up to the power. but i plan to do rwd / 4wd conversion eleminating the weak center diffrential witch i have not broken since but i think it will be an issue behind the torq monster 3.8. so the torque will pas directly through the tranny to the rear wheels and with the vcd clutches i will be able to feed power to the front wheels. i know those clutches are very strong because i have done a rear wheel smoke show with my front wheels on ice.

Edited by frank_ster

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Line pressure increase is not the only thing you need for an auto to hold power. Trust me I build my own 4t60e transmissions for my GM... I'm using Stage 1 clutches from Raybestos and a few of their hardened parts to improve reliability. I'm not sure what the weak links are in the 5EAT but I'm sure there are things out there that should be done to it, over just a few VB mods.

Frank it seems like it would be easier to make the GN's stock 200R4, or maybe a 700R4 work instead. You'd need a custom driveshaft, and a built rear end, but it would be simpler to make work.

Frank it seems like it would be easier to make the GN's stock 200R4, or maybe a 700R4 work instead. You'd need a custom driveshaft, and a built rear end, but it would be simpler to make work.

who buys a subaru to make it rwd ! thats just dumb ! i hate rwd .. i hate fwd :wub: 4wd :) rwd with that motor its jsut gonna spin all over all the time like my camaro.. gettin past by stock civics in the rain !

as for tranny i put 100 000 km on the 4t65e with that power level .. if the shifts are quick enough not to burn the clutches thats all that matters .. the highproformance clutches are typically 10% better than stock. there is no place for the heat to go.. what is needed is half second shifts not to hard to break parts and not to long to over heat the clutches. and it will survive.

who buys a subaru to make it rwd ! thats just dumb !]

Haha....I don't know, maybe the kind of guy that takes an old Grand National engine and puts it in a perfectly good Legacy GT. :lol:

who buys a subaru to make it rwd ! thats just dumb !]

Haha....I don't know, maybe the kind of guy that takes an old Grand National engine and puts it in a perfectly good Legacy GT. :lol:

its actually out of a parkavenue

What a project! Great photos and is looks pretty good sitting in there. I have an 86 T-Type running low 11s. I will be curious to see how much custom work you have to do to make this happen.

I have had a turbo Buick for the last 15 years. If you need parts I have some sources here in PA.

Good Luck and I will be watching this thread! :icon_bigg

What a project! Great photos and is looks pretty good sitting in there. I have an 86 T-Type running low 11s. I will be curious to see how much custom work you have to do to make this happen.

I have had a turbo Buick for the last 15 years. If you need parts I have some sources here in PA.

Good Luck and I will be watching this thread! :icon_bigg

THANKS ! for this project i have everything ahead of time sitting here.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxrWLysvC9s&playnext=1&videos=lY1-3LxwF6k&feature=grec_index]YouTube- ‪Worlds Fastest AWD 4CYL Subaru WRX STI - 8.358@163.16 MPH‬‎[/ame]

a video of fast subie ...

but the reason i'm posting it its because he has auto tranny running rwd / 4wd with a flick of a switch .. he is probably did the same as me.

WOW!! Kudos for being unique and different.

I find it amusing when someone spurts a miscellaneous argument against what you are doing then you quickly reply with a thought out response as to why you are doing/using what you are and how you feel it will work best, like maybe, just maybe, you know what you are doing here....

Keep it up, I CANNOT wait to see this thing happen. I am a die hard subaru fanatic, but mostly for the reason that I love how different they are, thus all the more reason to love your mod.

This is definitely intriguing. I've always loved that powerplant. BTW, where did you find the parts at those prices?

pistons

rings

cam

bearings = summit racing

head gaskets local autoparts guy ..

and wham 600 hp buick engine :D

not dissin man, i wanna see this completed..

but the better question is how will it not be difficult, or are you scraping all factory gauges?

nope .. going to make a copy of the crank triggor .. so the ecm gets tach signal so the drive by wire and cruise will work .. going to hook up the same colant temperature sensor .. so .. not very worried .

Love the thought behind this.

Love being different.

Subscribed.

Have you talked to Tomcat? He has a H6 3.6, but may be able to offer some high HP advice? I was too lazy to read the whole thread, so if you are just shoot me.

• 2 weeks later...