LegacyGT.com

my Subaru will beat with a Buick heart!

I just don't get it. If you want a 600hp car why would you start with a legacy? The drivetrain and the rest of the car were never designed to take that much power. even if your transmission and center diff don't shatter, the halfshafts and rear diff may be constant points of failures. Even transmission mounts and whatever engine mounts you have to rig may be subject to loads beyond what the chassis can take.

It's your car and your choice of headaches to do such a swap, but I just don't get it...

the fact that its automatic. doubbles the strength of the drive train there is no shock loading from a manual tranny.

the lgt is a great car for handeling looks comfort just needs more get up and go right off the line with out have to boost launch it every time.

the load limited to the half shafts are never exceeding the traction of the tires. i can spin all 4 tires now, so what is the real difference ?

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is almost exactly what I have dreamt about since I got my car. In high school I had an '01 Pontiac SSEi and loved everything about the car except the fact it was FWD. I modified it to around 315hp and 380 ft/lb tq. The front wheels couldn't handle it. To this day I've never experienced an engine that would sweep the tach like that thing did, extremely responsive right off idle and the sound of an Eaton m90 is positively amazing.

I love my lgt but I just can't get into turbos like I can supers, no amount of surge can replace the feeling of being sucked back before you get the pedal to the floor. Down the road I'd love swap an l67 into my car, when the engine goes probably.

i have a m90 :) i can also put it on your car ! but you will be - 40 hp from where you are now at the same boost level.

That's why I'd kill for the l67! That huge car got 32mpg hwy, legacy could never do that with the turbo restricting the exhaust while off-boost, the awd doesnt help but the fact that it's a LOT smaller than a bonneville cancels that out in my mind at least. Anyways I only put about 1200 into that motor to gain 75hp and 100 ft/lbs tq. It'd be a real stretch to get that kind of bang for buck on a turbo car!

Anyways I only put about 1200 into that motor to gain 75hp and 100 ft/lbs tq. It'd be a real stretch to get that kind of bang for buck on a turbo car!

I bought a the following for $1,395:

Used Accessport $495 shipped

Used Cobb Catted DP for $300 picked up

Used XO2 Racing Catback for $300 shipped

Used Catless Up Pipe free

New GrimmSpeed ported and coated exhaust manifolds Less then $300 shipped

This could have all been done for cheaper by not having a catback, gutting the stock DP and not buying a PNP/Coated and produced almost the same HP. Speaking of HP I don't know what I have at the crank but Cobb says that a standard stage 2 tune is 22% HP gain (305HP) and a 38% TQ gain (345TQ). That is a conservative Cobb tune. If I had a Pro Dyno tune instead of buying the PnP/Coated exhaust manifolds I'd have more.

Long story short, it isn't really a stretch. [/sillyrant]

Jump on it, Let's do it, Ride it, My Pony...

EL4NFZT7

Those numbers from cobb are ridiculously inflated. A tuned stg2 LGT will push ~50hp / 75 ftlbs. more to the wheels than a stock LGT. After stage2 things get really expsensive... that's why there are 100s of stg2 legacies on these forums but few that go beyond that. Long story short, it is a stretch.
lol

I just don't get it. If you want a 600hp car why would you start with a legacy?

Ultimate sleeper...

And doesn't it depend on which state you live if it's permitted or not. And sometimes the rules can be circumvented. Use of an engine not intended for the car may make it fall into another class of vehicles. But it's all about what the local laws and regulations permits.

453747.png

Also, I think that this build will be awesome. You've got a plan and you sound like you are going to make it happen. I too am concerned about your tranny but I hope that your plans work.

EL4NFZT7

Those numbers from cobb are ridiculously inflated. A tuned stg2 LGT will push ~50hp / 75 ftlbs. more to the wheels than a stock LGT. After stage2 things get really expsensive... that's why there are 100s of stg2 legacies on these forums but few that go beyond that. Long story short, it is a stretch.

i had my legacy pushing 270 whp 300 wtq with tatrix cable and open ecu.

and holset turbo china town fmic with 3" exaust stock injectors.

all that done for less than a grand. and 3 days of elbow grease

I've got mine 270 whp for $300. ERZ Catless DP, catless UP already on my car when I get it, opensource tune.

You can easily go stage 3 for ~1200 if you buy used turbo, new fuel pump, tmic/fmic, injectors with core charge.

Any progress on the car? As much as I oppose it I'm interested to see how you manage.

attached .. motor plate test peice .. i was able to find dims for the gm metric bellhousing but nothing for the subie end ..

so i will use this plate to figure out what i need using the 45 deg slots and digital level i can figure out the placement of the holes and pins.

also orderd bunch of plubming stainless u bends for making headders and engine oil cooler ..

2090148847_subieplate.thumb.jpg.842c1b79dd0aa4eefa4b65981169a23f.jpg

I think what you are doing is great! I'm a die hard GM tech and love the idea of a GM powerplant in an LGT. Good luck with the swap. I'm interested to see how well it fits with the Subie trans. I have an L33 Chevy truck motor (all aluminum 5.3, 310hp/345tq stock) in the garage that I've been thinking about using when the 2.5 blows- it will. But I was planning on using a T56 trans and rwd only.

attached .. motor plate test peice .. i was able to find dims for the gm metric bellhousing but nothing for the subie end ..

so i will use this plate to figure out what i need using the 45 deg slots and digital level i can figure out the placement of the holes and pins.

also orderd bunch of plubming stainless u bends for making headders and engine oil cooler ..

I found a company a while back that made plates for VW trannys so that people could use the VW tranny with almost any motor out there (think dune buggy/sand rail). I'm sure they have something for a Subaru.

BTW, I have no idea who they are you'll just have to google something. :lol:

EL4NFZT7

The interesting thing about Frankster is when he posts an idea, he then goes ahead and does it. Looking forward to this.

Yep, or already has done it. This is full of coolness. Please post videos of this beast.

:munch:

^ I'll come in to "+eleventybillion" this, too. That's why I subscribed to the thread a little while back with a "Good luck with the project" post. I can't wait to see this thing! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Except many people have made rotated kits, while not too many people put GM engines in Subarus. This configuration has already been done, including with a slightly bigger Garrett [ame=

]
[/ame]

Frankster probably spent $20k less though :lol:

Edited by ClimberD@HexMods
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]