LegacyGT.com

my Subaru will beat with a Buick heart!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What rear end ar you going to use? The stocker is designed to handle 50% of 250hp. You're gonna give it 100% of 600hp? I know these things always have some leeway designed into them but you're honestly going to expect it to hold up after you quintuple the power it has to handle??

What rear end ar you going to use? The stocker is designed to handle 50% of 250hp. You're gonna give it 100% of 600hp? I know these things always have some leeway designed into them but you're honestly going to expect it to hold up after you quintuple the power it has to handle??

as i said before its not going to get more traction so the torque going through the diffrential is limited to the traction of the tires, and in stock form i could make the 4 tires spin.

The most abusive thing to drive lines are manual trannys and clutch dumping. for the wrx's i have seen doing years of clutch dumping clutch dumping = torque of engine + inertia of the engine accelerating the enertia of the wheels and tires. You can think of it as a 1 lb hammer vs a 12 tonne shop press. they both can remove the same stubborn bearing.

E= mv^2

my 600 hp camaro is running with the stock diffrential with 10.5" slicks 4.10 gears and 4000 stall torque. the same diff would have snaped axels on a 4 speed version after a few clutch dumps.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

So the power above 125hp is wasted as wheelspin, then?

(kidding...)

well i would say its more like 2500 -3000 ft lbs coming out of the diffrential is the limit of traction .. and the idea is to keep that torque output for as long as possible ( into higher gears )

the 3.8 should develop 550 ft lbs tq * 3.53 for first gear ratio and then times 3.23 for final ratio = about 6000 lbs tq availiable in first gear

4000 lbs in second gear 2600 in 3rd gear 1700 in 4th gear

so i forsee first second and posibly 3rd gear burn outs

Why would you even want a 600hp subaru? Who are you ken block? Can you even handle that much power under your right foot? I would like to see this happen though pictures and videos please.

He forgot to check with you first :eek:

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

shucks....I'd go V8 if I was gonna swap a motor. I'm thinking the 4.0 northstar from the Olds aurora wasn't too big. Of course likely doesn't have the aftermarket parts.

the idea to get away from expensive engines!

Except many people have made rotated kits, while not too many people put GM engines in Subarus. This configuration has already been done, including with a slightly bigger Garrett

Frankster probably spent $20k less though :lol:

ok, then a guy who does 'that'...in a 5eat ;)

Edited by underpowerd

shucks....I'd go V8 if I was gonna swap a motor. I'm thinking the 4.0 northstar from the Olds aurora wasn't too big. Of course likely doesn't have the aftermarket parts.
Actually, it's huge. DOHC V-engines take up a LOT of space. Cam-in-block OHV motors like the GM LS series are actually very compact, and it's why you find them swapped into all manner of rides. The turbo V6 OP is using is rather compact also, as I do believe its OHV as well.

I have a pic somewhere of a 5.0L OHV and 4.6L DOHC Mustang motors side by side - the difference is shocking.

One thing that may be worth considering is to select a different oil for the differential that is has a thicker viscosity than standard as well as being more resilient to breaking the oil film.
453747.png

He forgot to check with you first :eek:

Lol naw i was just curious, i can defiantly appreciate a good build subscribed awhile ago. I'm not sure if you went over this but are you using the same rear end or butting something a bit more beefy in there to support that power?

ok, then a guy who does 'that'...in a 5eat ;)

It says a lot about the 5eat. Subaru ATs get a lot of flack, but they have also held up really well in certain instances. You have to be willing to fix things as they break though.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

One thing that may be worth considering is to select a different oil for the differential that is has a thicker viscosity than standard as well as being more resilient to breaking the oil film.

not worried about actual wear on the teeth! woried about plastic deformation of hardend parts ! Ie stuff breaking

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLsT92KbjTU&feature=related]YouTube- sunbird 3.8 turbo at napierville dragway[/ame]

this is my sunbird launch from idle no bringing up the boost it had a consistant 2.00 60 foot on normal street tires the subie auto launch with no boost is what 2.6 sec ? or worse ?! man i can't wait ! i fly home tomorrow! wednesday the swap begins ! pictures will be posted wednight of first test fit.