LegacyGT.com

my Subaru will beat with a Buick heart!

I don't believe the front or rear can be disabled electronically. If one of them CAN be, it would be the rear wheels. That would leave him with the option of FWD or AWD.

thats 4 eat.

I will dismantel the center diffrential and replace the gear set with a coupling. the clutches and carrier will remaine to activate the front drive.

I want to try this seams like a lot of fun. but i may revert to awd with lockable center diffrential.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if you could put an electronic or air locker in the front? Of course fully locked up in front would work very well either unless your going wheeling :)

well for offroading the traction control systems work great .. Where it applys the spining wheels break and passes the power to the wheel with traction .. my rental chevy impalla works great climping the mountans in washing st ! had that thing sitting on 3 wheels a bunch of times!!!!

only concerns i have at the time is being able to maintain the cruise control and cluster operation. The plan is to take the subaru crank triggor from subaru scan it with 50 $ walmart scanner scale it up so i can attach it to either the fly wheel or damper. With that the dash will have rpm signal. the dbw throttle boddy will be used and that contains the map and tps witch will be wired into the megasquirt.

the tranny will operate as normal. Then i will replace the tcu with a automation direct plc http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Programmable_Controllers/CLICK_Series_PLCs_(Stackable_Micro_Brick)/PLC_Units/C0-00DD1-D

inputs will be shift buttons, torq lock up, auto/ manual mode , tps , 2wd /4wd comand.

The gauge cluster get's all of its information from the ECU/ABS computers via CAN. Remove ether of those, and it's not going to work. If you want to even try, you'll need to log the hell out of the CAN bus so you can later spoof the messages. There are no direct connections from the engine to the cluster except a few idiot lights.

Cruise control is 100% done in the ECU, and if you try and keep it in the system, you won’t have cruse. As soon as it realizes that it's no longer controlling an engine (or a TCU), you'll have a CEL and no cruse. Your Megasquirt will have to support this function, you you’ll have to run a mechanical throttle with an aftermarket vacuum cruse control.

DBW is the same way, it's all done in the ECU. There is no "map" in it, it's not stand alone and cannot operate in that manner. You'd have to program your Megasquirt to "output" the throttle position to the DBW throttle body based on what it reads in from the TPS. In this case, the OEM ECU might still TRY to keep running the throttle body if left in the system, but it won’t be happy.

On the 5EAT, if you go from the get-go with your PLC TCU replacement, that part of this might actually work. You probably won’t need a valve body mode ether if you slam the solenoids full open/close on shifts.

Edited by utc_pyro

only concerns i have at the time is being able to maintain the cruise control and cluster operation. The plan is to take the subaru crank triggor from subaru scan it with 50 $ walmart scanner scale it up so i can attach it to either the fly wheel or damper. With that the dash will have rpm signal. the dbw throttle boddy will be used and that contains the map and tps witch will be wired into the megasquirt.

the tranny will operate as normal. Then i will replace the tcu with a automation direct plc http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Programmable_Controllers/CLICK_Series_PLCs_(Stackable_Micro_Brick)/PLC_Units/C0-00DD1-D

inputs will be shift buttons, torq lock up, auto/ manual mode , tps , 2wd /4wd comand.

The gauge cluster get's all of its information from the ECU/ABS computers via CAN. Remove ether of those, and it's not going to work. If you want to even try, you'll need to log the hell out of the CAN bus so you can later spoof the messages. There are no direct connections from the engine to the cluster except a few idiot lights.

Cruise control is 100% done in the ECU, and if you try and keep it in the system, you won’t have cruse. As soon as it realizes that it's no longer controlling an engine (or a TCU), you'll have a CEL and no cruse. Your Megasquirt will have to support this function, you you’ll have to run a mechanical throttle with an aftermarket vacuum cruse control.

DBW is the same way, it's all done in the ECU. There is no "map" in it, it's not stand alone and cannot operate in that manner. You'd have to program your Megasquirt to "output" the throttle position to the DBW throttle body based on what it reads in from the TPS. In this case, the OEM ECU might still TRY to keep running the throttle body if left in the system, but it won’t be happy.

On the 5EAT, if you go from the get-go with your PLC TCU replacement, that part of this might actually work. You probably won’t need a valve body mode ether if you slam the solenoids full open/close on shifts.

The cruise control and dbw will still work ! i promise ! i have disabled the check engine codes for tcu p0700 and with the tranny up pluged the cruse still works .. i will prety much disable all trubble codes. the stock ecm will read water temp and rpm i might give it a maf reading if i feel generous !

also the dbw is independant it looks at rpm and pedal position. you can un plug the coolant temp sensor the cam sensors the tumble sensors pretty much everything and still have throttle control.

if there is a can cumunication error with the tcu i was wondering about making the computer think the car is manual tranny. i wonder what is required to do so ? a jumper some where?

Ah, I didn't realize you were laving the stock ECU in to just handle the cluster and DBW. On making it think it's a manual, there is an ID pin, but it may be more complex then just changing it. The 5eat to 6MT conversion threads would have that info. Edited by utc_pyro

You said that you are in Washington. Are you doing the build here? If so, I know that there are a few of us around here that are wacko enough to help. As it is we are currently building a car to race this fall in Portland for Chump Car.

Jump on it, Let's do it, Ride it, My Pony...

EL4NFZT7

its probably just as illegal as flashing your stock ecm !

" whats the problem officer.. sir pease step out of your vehical... whats the problem officer ? .. sir we have information that you purchased hardware and software to modify the computer in your car thats was intended for offroad use only and your car is being used on the road.. but officer i only use that when i go to the race track.. how dumb do you think we are ?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsCuurneZVE&playnext_from=TL&videos=0KHc8oQ92jA]YouTube- guy mouths cop and gets beat down[/ame]

how are you going to pass emission testing?

oh canada ! don't have dem fancy things! but i'm it could make it pass anyways..

I just don't get it. If you want a 600hp car why would you start with a legacy? The drivetrain and the rest of the car were never designed to take that much power. even if your transmission and center diff don't shatter, the halfshafts and rear diff may be constant points of failures. Even transmission mounts and whatever engine mounts you have to rig may be subject to loads beyond what the chassis can take.

It's your car and your choice of headaches to do such a swap, but I just don't get it...

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

This is almost exactly what I have dreamt about since I got my car. In high school I had an '01 Pontiac SSEi and loved everything about the car except the fact it was FWD. I modified it to around 315hp and 380 ft/lb tq. The front wheels couldn't handle it. To this day I've never experienced an engine that would sweep the tach like that thing did, extremely responsive right off idle and the sound of an Eaton m90 is positively amazing.

I love my lgt but I just can't get into turbos like I can supers, no amount of surge can replace the feeling of being sucked back before you get the pedal to the floor. Down the road I'd love swap an l67 into my car, when the engine goes probably.

Im not sure what the Canadian laws are. You are probably right that 90% of the engine mods we are doing are illegal to a point. Honestly though, if it can pass emissions and aren't creating safety/noise concerns, who cares if its illegal? I'm not doubting you can do the swap. Just trying to help you consider these things before you plop down that huge chunk of $$. I wish you luck with whatever you decide to do.