LegacyGT.com

my Subaru will beat with a Buick heart!

Awesome. I'm excited to see the fitup of the engine to the transmission.

I think our waterjet can only do 1/2" holes as well. You could have had the waterjet dimple the surface at the center of the hole, then punched the hole on a mill. I was thinking about that. It adds an extra step, but it means you can bolt the transmission straight to the plate.

I wonder if there is a 1/2" -> M10 time-sert. That would be pretty awesome.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it runs, but your headers werent done yet, and you pulled the motor again to show someone the plate bolted to it?

I'm starting to question if it actually ran yet.

if you look carefully its a picture i posted a while ago !

right now next step is fitting the lgt drive by wire throttle body to the buick intake. and then subaru crank triggor.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

here is the subie crank triggor that i made from laser cut steel, it will give the subie ecm some thing to do and make the stock tach work as well with stock tranny function for the time being. Oh and the drive by wire stuff !

IMG_0084.thumb.jpg.31004cc34d3b040816567b99b79e492a.jpg

IMG_0085.thumb.jpg.b2a114ac9cbf61e1f9140ab3647010ee.jpg

IMG_0086.thumb.jpg.1dc4e7ac1932aee1d6f3672db202ea4e.jpg

Edited by frank_ster

Your mechanical knowledge never ceases to amaze me. The fact that you are custom machining almost every single little piece that I would never have thought would need to be replaced to make this all work is just awesome.

I can't want to see some dyno charts and some videos of Dr. Frank_stersteins monster.

It's cool; I'm with the band

Wow this is some amazing build. It really takes me back, I used to own a Grand National for a number of years. Any turbo Buick fan would know where my SN comes from.

Frank_ster I am interested in which motor you are using, that "backwards" facing intake says FWD to me not an actual RWD block. IIRC the block is pretty much the same until the "3800" version and the FWD stuff is much improved, those heads you have were shared with the Turbo TA.

I like the fan on the crankshaft, you may recall the intercooled Turbo Regals all had a little plastic fan on the crank pulley, right behind the 'cooler.

Worried about that tranny, but everyone said the 200-R4 couldn't handle the power and they built them with transbrakes for 9 sec cars, maybe the 5EAT will surprise and delight.

made it this far! i cannot get the fuel pump to stay running i don't know if it is because the crank triggor or some other reason.

edit: the crank trigor gives signal to the subie ecm i can see the on off parameter for the crank triggor but the ecm is not seeing engine rpm. i know i does not need the cam sensors connected because i have ran the stock engine with them disconnected.

anothe weird thing is i am not getting power to the coils ( i'm using that power to feed the buick coil pack and i had to by pass it )

what i'm thinking is the subie ecm is not letting anything happen because it does not see resistance of the injectors and/or ig coils. so i am slowly puttin resistors in to simulate something being there.

Edited by frank_ster

That's the problem when you do a major engine change into a car that has a lot of security/anti theft type systems. Why not just re-wire the fuel pump a different way and avoid using the Subie ECM.

I don't know why some people do piggie back systems with half a factory ECM running stuff. Sometimes its harder to work with that way, Granted without the Subie ECM you probably wont be able to run the cluster.

He is using a standalone, BUT its a Megasquirt for fuel management only... The Buick motor is distributor type IIRC so no ignition controls necessary, simply an ignition power in. But at the same time I would try to isolate some of the other systems from the Subie ECM such as the fuel pump for one. Get all the essentials controlled by either a typical manual ignition feed setup that would be on the Buick, or something of your own creation, but relying on the stock ECM as ViscousSquirrel noted will be a huge hassle over time.

He is using a standalone, BUT its a Megasquirt for fuel management only... The Buick motor is distributor type IIRC so no ignition controls necessary, simply an ignition power in.

The Buick motor is distributor-less, that was part of the magic of good ignition timing with a turbo and gave the up and coming "chip tuners" lots of control. There are options to run that as a standalone.

The Buick ECU has been hacked to the moon and back, seems like using one of those in combo with the Subie ECU would be a good option.