LegacyGT.com

New quad tip muffler... stay tuned

lawl

The radius on the pipe going into the muffler may be fine, I think it is the total angle of the bend that you are referring to. I think if the mufflers were moved slightly towards the front of the car and the angle in towards the center of the car increased slightly, it would fix the problem. However, that is for Invidia to decide.

^ Ah, that's what I wanted to say.:redface::) Agreed.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am still a bit peeved, that I was told there were no issues with fitment with ordering the v1 system, and now after all of this and v2 system with similar fitment issues people are still waiting on these.

If able to do it all over again, I would probably just go full custom. Worth the extra money for having 0 fitment issues.

habitual derail-er

Yes it was a V2 from fredbeans (excellent vendor, highly recommended) Im not looking to stir the sh!t here, just frustrated after waiting to order the 2nd version and then having fitment issues. Also im not sure if it was a downpipe problem, though i haven't read of any problems so far about the cnt catted downpipe being too long. The first pick posted by fredbeans above shows a solid inch in-between the back of the bumper and the can, on mine There is no gap, and my tips are protruding about an inch and half from the cutout (more so on the driver side). After i have the midpipe shortened a bit i will post my results.

I'd still like to see some pictures 09_Red_GT. I asked if you wouldn't mind posting some up a few weeks ago and never heard back from you. The V1 predates my employment with FBP so I am still trying to understand the design history.

Hopefully my pictures and description helps convey that we are doing everything possible to help customers avoid fitment issues going forward. http://legacygt.com/forums/../images/smilies/redface.gif:redface:

I am still a bit peeved, that I was told there were no issues with fitment with ordering the v1 system, and now after all of this and v2 system with similar fitment issues people are still waiting on these.

If able to do it all over again, I would probably just go full custom. Worth the extra money for having 0 fitment issues.

Agreed. My $600 V1 system turned into a $800 purchase after having to take it to a muffler shop and have them correct all the issues. Kind of embarrassing all the laughs I got at the muffler shop about how bad this system initially fit. I am also not bashing FBP. Everyone knows they are a stellar vendor. Just agitated at the whole scenario, and a little pissed at Invidia, especially for not getting this right the second time around

Dissappointing revision.

Flanged crossover tube........live or die by the sword comes to mind. If it is not made inch perfect you are screwed. The old slip joints provided some degree of adjustability,now you bolt it up and hope for the best. In the grass photo are all the clamps tightened? The mufflers look as though they point outward from center.

IMO Invidia should dump the 180deg Y pipe,and follow a proven design. Perrin Mid+Y+stock cans cleared everything in the back of my car.

In the grass photo are all the clamps tightened? The mufflers look as though they point outward from center.

Yes sir. I installed the exhaust piece-by-piece and didn't snug up the slip joints until everything was aligned as best as I possibly could. I then removed the exhaust as one piece. However, it is possible that the slip joints rotated slightly as I moved the exhaust... even fully tightened they don't provide the 100% solid connection torsionally.

That picture was taken after the first test fit on my car. The next weekend I tried hammering the slip joints together and got about 1/2" purchase between both sides. Ultimately bringing the mufflers together made no difference... the angle and width of the tips forces contact due to the angled bumper cutouts.

The V2 crossover pipe looks very straight from the photo. How does it compare with V1's?

To my eye the crossover pipe needs to be bent a few more degrees. That would at least bring the right side muffler tips inward.

Looks a bit like....

Yosemite-Sam-1.jpg.701d0abb284e6b596f1ce6111ad876ff.jpg

^ Good eye. I didn't see that, at first.

------

I am still a bit peeved, that I was told there were no issues with fitment with ordering the v1 system....

Wait, who told you that?

And when (date) did the person make that claim, and when did you make your purchase?

-----

IMO Invidia should dump the 180deg Y pipe,and follow a proven design. Perrin Mid+Y+stock cans cleared everything in the back of my car.

I think that a stock-routing design would be beneficial, too.

My "clobbered together" cat-back utilized a custom Magnaflow resonated center mated to a Lachute Y, mated to a set of Blitz Nur-Spec Touring canisters, all following the factory configuration/routing - no issues. It's certainly easier, I think, to play within the tolerances of factory routing.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

This thread is EPIC.

I have to replace the exhaust (ok, I want to as well) on my new LGT wagon, and I am all about the quad tips. I really like everything about the Invidia system (sound, looks, etc), but 26 pages of forum posts, 2 versions of the CBE, and the reseller's rep also sounding like he's not having much luck has made me VERY nervous about purchasing this system.

Would it just be easier to buy a proven Borla or magnaflow and weld on some quad tips for the look? FredBeanParts- You think Invidia is going to get this system nailed down?

Would it just be easier to buy a proven Borla or magnaflow and weld on some quad tips for the look?

That's definitely a viable alternative - however, there are also concerns:

First and foremost, warranty: while both companies are giants in the industry and have offered legendary customer-support, it would be an unknown to pursue rust-through warranty claims after such a chop-and-reweld modification.

And while a chop-and-weld sounds easy, you'll definitely want to pursue the old posts that some of our good brothers have put up, over the years, detailing which tips/configurations to pursue, and what specific modifications were necessary to get them up-to-par. :)

That's definitely a viable alternative - however, there are also concerns:

First and foremost, warranty: while both companies are giants in the industry and have offered legendary customer-support, it would be an unknown to pursue rust-through warranty claims after such a chop-and-reweld modification.

And while a chop-and-weld sounds easy, you'll definitely want to pursue the old posts that some of our good brothers have put up, over the years, detailing which tips/configurations to pursue, and what specific modifications were necessary to get them up-to-par. :)

Civic/Integra watermelon shooters it is then!

^ FTW!!! :lol::D

But hey, even us BL/BP guys have our "respected" melon-cannon systems: Perrin, Blitz (with two, actually!), HKS, A'pexi (actually, although it is of the traditional "N1" canister configuration, this specific one ["Revolution"] uses a "turbine wheel" type system within the canister, to make it more quiet during times of less demand/flow), GReddy (also with two different ones) - they all offer systems of traditional N1 styling (as well as some, like the Blitz Nur-Spec Touring that I used to have, that are noticeably different), with sounds that's distinct to the Subaru. :)

One of the ideas Bernard (the Invidia US rep) and I tossed around was going to a single-tip muffler to make fitment easier. However, we both recognized that a quad-tipped exhaust is what most of you are looking for. Without trying to speak on Invidia's behalf, I would say he is looking at all options at this point.

Perhaps you guys could make some suggestions here or in a new thread that I can pass along to Invidia on what you would like to see from an Invidia CBE that is unique from the other options we carry.

^ The only reason I'm interested in this exhaust is for the quad tip.

I'm just not interested in spending a good chunk of change and having to modify it because of crappy fitment :(

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

In all honesty, I think what's important for Invidia to do is to sit down and review this thread in-detail.

While there certainly is a lot of side-chatter, there are many posts, starting with page 9 and running up until the current end, that describe in-detail not only where individual customers have run into trouble, but also their proposed solutions.

If the US Invidia rep. is willing to go so far as to "entertain all ideas" - to solicit them from the open community - then dedicating an hour or so to review the posts on this thread, in-detail, taking notes of suggestions...that shouldn't be asking for that much.

Given the excellent suggestions and detailed documentation made by Gmachine and bcp2011 (also nwsurfwakeskate, with his descriptions of what his chosen muffler shop did) and the suggestions made by maddoc and korpsepatrol, there should be plenty of information to go on....

What baffles me is that Invidia is not a fly-by-night eBay shop. They're a known-quantity make, and they have quite a good reputation in the Subaru community.

Why can't they make a system that fits right, when it's clear that A'pexi, HKS, GReddy, Blitz, Magnaflow, and Borla - at different price-points, with different hardware (slip-joint and flanged), and either following traditional/OEM pipe-routing or with their own - all can?

Is it the twin (quad) tips?

OK, neither the Stromung nor the Megan "tucks up" nearly as much as this Invidia Q300's, which is, for many (myself included) what made the Invidia so attractive - but again, it should not be impossible. K2 and the factory STi-badged components can and will fit. So that's no excuse, either.

kinder's words on page 24 strike true resonance:

I would suggest to invidia to design it to fit a 100% stock vehicle.

Take all other variables out of the equation - it's obviously not impossible, witness the other makes' systems, above. What happened to Yournamehere should not have happened, with a plug-and-play cat-back system, period...and especially in that it seems that the same mistakes were committed yet again, for the V2: that areas of concern that many members have mentioned have gone neglected or otherwise was overlooked.

Something got screwed up here.

And while I do agree with kinder, in that the production item needs, first and foremost, to fit well, with minor adjustments only, to an otherwise fully-stock BL....but honestly, what's even more frustrating is evident in Gmachine's #336 post, on page 23. OK, so if things don't line-up exactly with the factory DP or 3rd. cat. section, that's, as us Chinese would say, "one eye open and one eye closed" - "a wink and a nod," for it would not be entirely unexpected - but WTH doesn't it line-up properly with Invidia's own DP? That's almost laughable, and someone at the company should be very, very embarrassed.

FBP, please understand that my frustrations here are not aimed at you guys, y'all have stood behind us from day one, with this product, and I think I speak for everyone who've purchased the item from you that we truly do appreciate your support, with which you've made-good on, repeatedly, throughout this ordeal. Rather, my anger and disappointment is focused solely at Invidia.

They say that they're willing to "look at all options."

It doesn't seem to me that they've actually looked all that hard.

One of the ideas Bernard (the Invidia US rep) and I tossed around was going to a single-tip muffler to make fitment easier. However, we both recognized that a quad-tipped exhaust is what most of you are looking for. Without trying to speak on Invidia's behalf, I would say he is looking at all options at this point.

Perhaps you guys could make some suggestions here or in a new thread that I can pass along to Invidia on what you would like to see from an Invidia CBE that is unique from the other options we carry.

Good fitting - not crazy loud - quad tipped.

That will be the exhaust I end up getting, supposing I've got to get one made.

All the single tip options are out there already. Loud, quiet, cheap, expensive, etc. Just not a quality/proper fitting quad-tip.

:spin:

^ You're too tricky, with your aerospace engineering tricks! ;)

Long time - how are things? :)

Wow, I haven't followed this for a while but I'm amazed it's still going and not much progress has been made. I traded my exhaust for some used SPTs -- the Invidia was louder than I'd like after a while -- and I have to say that I'm a happier man. I used to have to push the passenger side cans to the center of the car every time I drove the car just so it doesn't burn the bumper further (I burned the passenger side quite a bit after a 7 hr road trip). Honestly, if you are on the fence about the system you should just get something else (from FBP, who's been awesome). No exhaust is worth this much hassle.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived