LegacyGT.com

New quad tip muffler... stay tuned

lawl

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Still want me to send you pictures of the V1? :lol:

^ Since they haven't gotten the V2, yet - and even when they do get it, it'll be for a test-fit - I think that there's still time for you to get your pictures in, to help further improve/refine the new generation unit.

Whats going to happen with those who bought the defunct V1?

^ That depends on exactly what is being asked, the way I see it:

(1)

If you mean those who bought the unit at the then-full-retail-price, and experienced unforeseen difficulties?

I think that would depend a lot on the retail end of things.

I know that once FredBeansParts - the entity, not the individuals, that is - found out that there was a problem with the units they sold, they immediately extended offers to remediate. This was proven in the FBP sales thread of this item, where they extended such remediation offers (REF: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/invidia-quad-tip-catback-exhaust-126880p4.html - post number 51; and also in this thread itself, in post #224, which appears on page 15 - http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/new-quad-tip-muffler-stay-tuned-121612p15.html ); and I know, personally, that they made good on that: I got a very nice deal on my front and rear Perrin anti-sway bars and a set of AVO rear reinforcement brackets for the same.

Given the precedent set by FBP, I think it forces any other retail-level seller who sold the V1 CBE to do the same. And for those who bought from Invidia, direct, I think that Invidia should extend a helping hand.

(2)

Or do you mean those who made the purchase after knowing that there's fitment issues?

In that case, I hope they negotiated a good bargain, pre-purchase.

There were at least three concurrent threads running on this, spanning at least two retail-level Vendors. No-one, in my view, should have come to the V1, after the dates of the initial "trouble" postings, uninformed.

(3)

Or do you mean those who, like us, were early adopters of the V1 - which is now defunct, because a V2 is on the horizon?

I'd expect Invidia to honor full warranty support, despite the mods done to the pipework in order to make the unit fit, as it was, undeniably (publicly noted in now several threads) their mistake that caused the fitment issues of the V1 units.

But if you mean should they "recall" the V1 units to replace it with the V2?

I honestly don't think that's either necessary or fair to either Invidia or their resellers, given that similar troubles, to one extent or another, were encountered of *many* aftermarket CBE or TBE systems (in no particular order: Agency Power, Cobb, Perrin, SPT V1, Xo2 [and similar "generics"] - just to name the ones that I know of fitment problems, off the top of my head), and none of those manufacturers offered that (or, for that matter, virtually any) kind of support.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ Since they haven't gotten the V2, yet - and even when they do get it, it'll be for a test-fit - I think that there's still time for you to get your pictures in, to help further improve/refine the new generation unit.

^ That depends on exactly what is being asked, the way I see it:

(1)

If you mean those who bought the unit at the then-full-retail-price, and experienced unforeseen difficulties?

I think that would depend a lot on the retail end of things.

I know that once FredBeansParts - the entity, not the individuals, that is - found out that there was a problem with the units they sold, they immediately extended offers to remediate. This was proven in the FBP sales thread of this item, where they extended such remediation offers (REF: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/invidia-quad-tip-catback-exhaust-126880p4.html - post number 51; and also in this thread itself, in post #224, which appears on page 15 - http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/new-quad-tip-muffler-stay-tuned-121612p15.html ); and I know, personally, that they made good on that: I got a very nice deal on my front and rear Perrin anti-sway bars and a set of AVO rear reinforcement brackets for the same.

Given the precedent set by FBP, I think it forces any other retail-level seller who sold the V1 CBE to do the same. And for those who bought from Invidia, direct, I think that Invidia should extend a helping hand.

(2)

Or do you mean those who made the purchase after knowing that there's fitment issues?

In that case, I hope they negotiated a good bargain, pre-purchase.

There were at least three concurrent threads running on this, spanning at least two retail-level Vendors. No-one, in my view, should have come to the V1, after the dates of the initial "trouble" postings, uninformed.

(3)

Or do you mean those who, like us, were early adopters of the V1 - which is now defunct, because a V2 is on the horizon?

I'd expect Invidia to honor full warranty support, despite the mods done to the pipework in order to make the unit fit, as it was, undeniably (publicly noted in now several threads) their mistake that caused the fitment issues of the V1 units.

But if you mean should they "recall" the V1 units to replace it with the V2?

I honestly don't think that's either necessary or fair to either Invidia or their resellers, given that similar troubles, to one extent or another, were encountered of *many* aftermarket CBE or TBE systems (in no particular order: Agency Power, Cobb, Perrin, SPT V1, Xo2 [and similar "generics"] - just to name the ones that I know of fitment problems, off the top of my head), and none of those manufacturers offered that (or, for that matter, virtually any) kind of support.

Your always so serious TSI+WRX. Just kidding. I still vote for trade in! :rolleyes:

^ Nah, not serious at all. ;) All of my students and co-workers know me as "The Laughing Buddah (being a slightly porky Chinese guy only helps further that image!)." :lol: I got mad once around the lab, and, seriously, people thought that there was some kind of super-crisis, when it was nowhere near that serious. Just a few months ago, I was in a really rushed mood, and reverted back to my early-learned swearing (hey, I grew up in downtown Baltimore, what do you expect?) :redface:, and people didn't know whether to be scared, or to have a laugh riot. :lol:

Just laying out as I truly see it, that's all. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

• 2 weeks later...
We are hoping to have the V.2 CBE by next week for test fitting. I will keep you guys updated.

-Rick

I was poking around your site today....

Looked like you had the V2 listed. Does that mean the test fitting went well??? :spin:

Judging by the pics on the site, it still looks like the tips are too close to the bumper, and there will be melting, mine looked just like that and there was melting... my .02

From what was said above, I'm going to guess that the pictures on their site are still from V1....

Either way I'm pretty sure I'm going to wait just a little until the "test" has gone on for a month or so. Just to be sure everything is as it should be. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I installed my V2 this sunday along with a cnt catted downpipe. As it sits right now the two cans are pressed firm against the rear bumper and the crossover pipe is resting on the stock swaybar... My suspention is bone stock and im running a stock uppipe.. I really don't want to experiment with installing the stock down pipe to see if that's the culprit or the Invidia exhaust.. I may do it just to be thorough and also because i need to have the pipe shortened a half inch at the dp flange to eliminate the rubbing issues... i will post results soon, the sound is great, a little loud for me, but i hope it calms down a little bit as i get some miles (and soot) on it.

If your tail-pipes are bumping plastic, be sure you put some kind of insulation between the tips (particularly the passenger side) and the plastic bumper skin. Otherwise, you're almost guaranteed to melt....

I installed my V2 this sunday along with a cnt catted downpipe. As it sits right now the two cans are pressed firm against the rear bumper and the crossover pipe is resting on the stock swaybar... My suspention is bone stock and im running a stock uppipe.. I really don't want to experiment with installing the stock down pipe to see if that's the culprit or the Invidia exhaust.. I may do it just to be thorough and also because i need to have the pipe shortened a half inch at the dp flange to eliminate the rubbing issues... i will post results soon, the sound is great, a little loud for me, but i hope it calms down a little bit as i get some miles (and soot) on it.

That's not good news. Are the pipes at least centered in the cutout.

I installed my V2 this sunday along with a cnt catted downpipe.

Is this really a V2 or a modified V1? Didn't think V2 was officially released yet. All the issues you bring up are classic V1 issues.

Just go back a few pages to see how i had my midpipe / flex "shortened".

Well, we were holding off on commenting until we had a better resolution for you guys, but the cat is out of the bag I suppose.

Initial test fits of the V.2 CBE were performed by Invidia's rep here in the states. We were able to review some pictures (some of which are shown on the website here: http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/invidia-subaru-legacy-gt-v2-catback-exhaust.html) and as such we felt we could progress to the next step which was having me test fit this on my Legacy and documenting the install.

During the install process I found that the Invidia cleared my Whiteline rear swaybar (w/ AVO mounts) better than the SPT CBE which makes contact all the time, enough to wear the paint off the bar in one spot. However there was still some minor contact between the passenger side muffler flange and the bar. This was minor enough that I wouldn't classify it as a problem, although we did inform the US rep and he is working on a solution for aftermarket bars, but it wasn't available in time for my test fitting.

The much more significant issue we found was that the tips made contact with the bumper at the outer edge. Well, on the passenger side they made firm contact but the driver side was within 1/8". I spent several hours trying to correct this issue, hammering the slip-joints, grinding off pieces of my driver-side AVO mount which was contacting the pipe, loosening connections and repositioning, all to no avail. It seems that if you pull the tips away from the outside edge they then contact on the inside edge of the cutout. Here is what I think is happening:

My SPT mufflers and tips point ever so slightly back in towards the center line of the vehicle. I believe the exhaust and bumper cutouts do this to follow the side contour of the car. The Invidia exits straight, parallel to the center of the car. Combine this difference in angle with the much wider tips and you are almost guaranteeing contact. Check out the following pics.

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/9840/tipmisalignmentwmarkup.jpg

I highlighted the edges of the cutout (blue lines) and tips (light green lines) to show the misalignment. In it's normal position the tip/bumper contact is within the yellow circle. If I pull the tip away it contacts in the red circle.

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/7509/img8247s.jpg

In this pic you can see the angle difference I was talking about. The perspective throws things off a bit, but the point comes across.

Anyways, we are still working with Invidia on a solution and will keep you guys updated.

-Rick

Rick, it seems that the V2 proto that you've got has the two tips protruding "straight" from the canister, instead of at an angle:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2755474&postcount=138

^ Gmachine's second picture.

Which takes off from BCP2011's original observations:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2754818&postcount=118

But I agree, overall, the "flare" of the Y seems to be off - and from your on-the-grass photo above, it almost seems as if the issue is with the bend feeding the passenger-side canister, not being of the right radius?

The tips certainly do seem to exit straight from the muffler vs. the two V.1s you linked to.

The radius on the pipe going into the muffler may be fine, I think it is the total angle of the bend that you are referring to. I think if the mufflers were moved slightly towards the front of the car and the angle in towards the center of the car increased slightly, it would fix the problem. However, that is for Invidia to decide.

Archived