LegacyGT.com

New quad tip muffler... stay tuned

lawl

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yep i just bought kartboy exhaust hangers to replace all the oems with and see how it works with them. I have two extended hangers on them right now just so they don't rub up against the bumper.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

Yeah that looks like crap IMO. Good luck getting them tucked and not burning the bumper!

I know this, thats why i am getting new hangers. I hope to have everything sorted out within the next week.

R.I.P Coxx

Here are the rear pics of the mufflers just so you guys can get an idea of how low they are.

Your crossover pipe is still too long (IMO),my guess is at least 1in. more needs to come off. My tips sit center of the cutouts. If the mufflers are centered the hangers will look nice and even but mirror images on a slight angle inward.

Something like this.... \ (oo) / if the muffler is too far left or right it is pulling the hangers too much side to side.

To korpsepatrol's pix, which followed:

Wow, those look way low compared to mine. Of course I have the rallitek hangers. Mine sit up in the cut out, pretty tucked. Only issue I have is the tips hitting the outer cutout. Still haven't gotten around to trimming the crossover

and

Your crossover pipe is still too long (IMO),my guess is at least 1in. more needs to come off. My tips sit center of the cutouts. If the mufflers are centered the hangers will look nice and even but mirror images on a slight angle inward.

Something like this.... \ (oo) / if the muffler is too far left or right it is pulling the hangers too much side to side.

I agree with both - korpse, that's way, way lower than how mine sits. I'm in-line with both Gmachine's pix of his system's setup, as well as his assessment.

I think that what's happening is that with your crossover being too long, it's forcing you to drop the canisters lower in order to "fit" the cut-outs.

Once you take some length off the cross-pipe, you'll be able to bring the canisters "up and in (towards the center)."

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I've been toying with the idea of having a custom midpipe made up. This could fix the bulk of the problems i have with this setup.

The plan would be to shorten the exhaust overall from the cat back section by 3/4 to 1 in. This would give the extra room in back for the mufflers to clear the bodywork. Also this will pull the crossover tube foward away from the sway bar, i have about 1/8th in. now.

If possible maybe add a longer resonator or small muffler to knock a few db's off. The tone is good,i just want a little less volume.

Carefull bending of pipes can also yield more clearance to heat shield.

I must really love them mufflers to put up with this.:lol:

^ Falling in love with a nice set of cans.

Yep, I'm that kind of guy, myself. ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Fixed my muffler tip clearance a little...rotated the x-over pipe and it made a hell of a difference....took pictures to show all...after having my bumper melted to hell :lol::( Guess I'll be looking for that Gialla piece sooner than I thought

^ And I'll be jealous of that Gialla piece! :)

I wonder if I shouldn't also try to rotate my cross-over. I'm hitting my rear sway.....

yeah, i figure i am going to work on it this weekend and cut an extra bit off the pipe and see if i can change over the hangers.

Sigh it seems like every damn exhaust i have had has never been smooth. Thats why i am not as bummed out as i was with my first lgt. Since it has always taken about a month or two to sort out all of the fitment issues.

R.I.P Coxx

^ FWIW, what absolutely surprised me was how my "cobbled together" system was a spot-on fit.

A custom Magnaflow-resonated 3" mid, paired to a Lachute Y - parts made completely separately - capped off with the Blitz axle-backs (which is spec'ed to fit the factory Y). It was a spot-on fit...and thankfully, too, as everything was flanged. :lol:

For the price of the Invidia, yes, I did expect to have to do some tweaking. Given that it's slip-fit, it was obvious that they expected the end-customer to do some fitting...I just don't think that *this much* should be required. Look at the Borla and the Magnaflow. :)

i absolutely agree that for the price i totally expected difficulties. Just funny that mine is now the new low in looks lol.

So i can't wait till i get this all sorted out to redeem myself. So many things to put on before april 7th :(

R.I.P Coxx

A custom Magnaflow-resonated 3" mid, paired to a Lachute Y - parts made completely separately - capped off with the Blitz axle-backs (which is spec'ed to fit the factory Y). It was a spot-on fit...and thankfully, too, as everything was flanged. :lol:

TSi+WRX: Do you still have this setup? Interested in selling? I'm in lust with the Blitz axle-backs! (Sorry for OT.)

i absolutely agree that for the price i totally expected difficulties. Just funny that mine is now the new low in looks lol.

So i can't wait till i get this all sorted out to redeem myself. So many things to put on before april 7th :(

korpsepatrol: I hope you get that exhaust straightened out. On a good note, though, the newest Legacy looks nice! I'm still hunting for a spoiler-free trunk lid.

korpsepatrol: I hope you get that exhaust straightened out. On a good note, though, the newest Legacy looks nice! I'm still hunting for a spoiler-free trunk lid.

Thanks, i drove to maryland just for the trunk lol.

Yeah i will hope to have my exhaust hangers tomorrow if not thursday and see if i can get a place to fix it for me if i can't just fix it with hangers.

R.I.P Coxx

Thanks, i drove to maryland just for the trunk lol.

Yeah i will hope to have my exhaust hangers tomorrow if not thursday and see if i can get a place to fix it for me if i can't just fix it with hangers.

I'll find one eventually. ;)

I haven't read this whole thread yet... Have you done any cutting yet?

TSi+WRX: Do you still have this setup? Interested in selling? I'm in lust with the Blitz axle-backs! (Sorry for OT.)

Yes, I still have everything in the garage, but I am currently not yet interested in selling.

Besides, the driver's side canister is dented from when I backed over a curb! :redface::lol: Yeah, they hang low!!!

I'll find one eventually. ;)

I haven't read this whole thread yet... Have you done any cutting yet?

You will probably need to travel.

I personally have not cut it yet only a little of the bumper. I will be cutting it though.

R.I.P Coxx

TSi, wassup? I am actually looking into the dual tips for a change but I think I'm holding off. Fred Beans has taken the Invidias out of their website. Is that a bad sign? Is Invidia ignoring the fitment issues?

I think Im gonna stick with my AVOs for awhile. I just need the y pipe. Expen$$ive for a "Y" pipe.

"Remember..."MODDING is a HOBBY:icon_bigg, not a BAAAD HABIT";) .

TSi, wassup? I am actually looking into the dual tips for a change but I think I'm holding off. Fred Beans has taken the Invidias out of their website. Is that a bad sign? Is Invidia ignoring the fitment issues?

I think Im gonna stick with my AVOs for awhile. I just need the y pipe. Expen$$ive for a "Y" pipe.

Invidia's not ignoring the problem. They are working on v.2 to eliminate the problem. They're probably off of Fred Beans' site because they've sold out of v.1 and are waiting for v.2. Fred Beans is involved with Invidia in getting v.2 done.

So, after my tweak last night, the exhaust fit awesome. I drove to work and the RH muffler tip was back against my bumper. What I had found (I marked it with a marker) is that the x-over pipe had move 2 inches. Why? because the exhaust and sway bar come in direct contact with each other :( chopping 1/4" to 1/2" off the mid pipe will alleviate the issue.

You could grab an ebay X02/CXlightning Mid/y for cheap if you wanted. 3" just like the AVO

TSi, wassup?

...I think Im gonna stick with my AVOs for awhile. I just need the y pipe. Expen$$ive for a "Y" pipe.

^ Hey bro, long time!!!!! :) How ya been?

Man, all the old faces are popping up for this one. Looks like we've gotten tired of our previous setups, all at around the same time! :lol:

Yep, exactly - a-la-carte parts, particularly quality ones, I've come to learn, are damned expensive.

I am actually looking into the dual tips for a change but I think I'm holding off. Fred Beans has taken the Invidias out of their website. Is that a bad sign? Is Invidia ignoring the fitment issues?

^ to which SC GT replied:

Invidia's not ignoring the problem. They are working on v.2 to eliminate the problem. They're probably off of Fred Beans' site because they've sold out of v.1 and are waiting for v.2. Fred Beans is involved with Invidia in getting v.2 done.

From my five-minute chat with Jeremy the other day, this seems to be the case.

And along those lines:

So, after my tweak last night, the exhaust fit awesome. I drove to work and the RH muffler tip was back against my bumper. What I had found (I marked it with a marker) is that the x-over pipe had move 2 inches. Why? because the exhaust and sway bar come in direct contact with each other :( chopping 1/4" to 1/2" off the mid pipe will alleviate the issue.

^ That's me, too, but I haven't experienced "knock-back" that's that severe, yet. Mine is more like a rub.

I'm stepping up - all the way up - to the Perrin 25mm bars (yes, I've already got the AVO reinforcement as well as splurged to get the Perrin reinforcement brackets, by buying the FBP version of their rear bar, which is much pricier than the Perrin sale ones that do not include that hardware...and I'm also getting the Energy Suspension bushings and brackets, too), so we'll see what happens, then.

But back to the thread :redface: -

Soon, I hope. LGT community is small compared to WRX/STI so R&D on new items for our cars is not done carefully.

^ I think moreso than not being "careful" is a simple lack of sample size.

From reading all these install tales, it's obvious that we're all encountering difficulties - but what's startling is how *different* the presentation is, either in a small detail or with a larger, more concerning, fitment issue.

Perhaps given a few more LGTs to experiment with, Invidia would be better able to "generic-ize" the system, to make it adjustable enough to fit all but the most extreme of unique individual variances.

To me, it almost seems like there's an interaction between the production variance of the exhaust *with* that of the vehicle - thus causing some vehicles extreme fitment issues, while others, not so bad.

TSi, good to know you are still hanging out here. Anyway, yea we tend to get tired of old stuff and look for new things but unfortunately our cars are not as popular as the other models. Quality and affordable exhaust systems is few. I can't even find a quality "Y" pipe (that fits stock) except AVO'$. $600 plus for a Y is kinda expen$ive. Perrin also stopped making the Ys, so here I am searching.:redface:

I was about to place an order for the Invidia but an "honest" vendor out of Florida told me about the fitment issues and then this thread confirmed it.

I'll be hanging out here. I really like what I see with the Invidias. :wub:

"Remember..."MODDING is a HOBBY:icon_bigg, not a BAAAD HABIT";) .

Archived