LegacyGT.com

New quad tip muffler... stay tuned

lawl

geez....you guys are having a lot of trouble.

a little over $100 and a trip to midas made short work of my fitment issues.

Sometimes its better to have a pro install it...

i've put about 5,000 miles on mine so far and the only bumper melt issue I've had was on the first day when I drove it to midas before it had been adjusted. luckily it was only hidden inner bumper stuff that melted.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Nah, I love self-wrenching. :)

I've self-wrenched every part of this car.

The only reason why I took the car to the dealership for the clutch was because I just didn't have time. That, and I was a bit apprehensive about some equipment which I lacked - I could've borrowed it from my buddy, but he was also tremendously busy at the time.

Besides, if I'd gone to a shop, I'd doubt that they'd have repeatedly tested (see below) and revised...and the trip I'd have taken to go from the shop to home would have definitely generated enough heat to cause damage to the bumper skin, had it shifted.

Also, having a professional installation would/will not impact the durability of the tack-welds on the Invidia tag, at all. ;)

A cat-back is a basic enough mod that any self-wrench should *easily* be able to accomplish the procedure with a minimum of issues. Look at the Borla or the Magnaflow, both of which are in this price-bracket. Neither have such issues.

Certainly, the individual components of my previous cat-back setup was costly, but they were also truly piecemeal, with no one component particularly designed for the other - yet they fit right on, with no fuss: and all that was with bolt/hardware flanges at every junction.

While I honestly don't think that my install was that problematic (the cross-pipe was my only real issue, and like I suggested before, a bit less length plus a bit more room for adjustment there would go a long way towards solving the problem) at all, I truly believe that even at this price-range, Invidia has some adjustments to make.

----

I thought so too, but then I noticed my bumper melting the other day :( the fact that the Invidia tag tack weld just POPPED off for no reason kind of irks me. The car has been washed once since putting the exhaust on, and there's nothing else that goes near the tips other than a sponge. Well, pictures first, then a call to Invidia...

maybe its time for the Gialla CF garnish for the rear bumper :lol:

^ Ooooooooo....CF? I'm all over that, if they're actually functional (i.e. they don't melt, too! :lol:

Given my climate, I'm sure that the tack-welds are eventually just going to pop off. I'm definitely reinforcing it. It would irk me, too, but I think that for what it is, well, it just ain't gonna be that durable. It's a very nice cosmetic touch, and looks more distinctive than pressed/cast/etched, but I definitely didn't have high hopes of its survival.

How often did you check your cut-out/bumper clearance?

I checked about a dozen times, with test-drives of increasing duration/length (and seeking out the most pock-marked streets around, too), and the first half-dozen or so, each time, the exhaust had shifted so that the outboard tips touched the rear bumper skin - which is why I kept trimming.

No kidding, I think I've got right around 5 inches trimmed off of that cross-pipe.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

something midas did to stop the shifting problem is they cut the donut flange off of my stock down pipe and welded a standard flat flange on to it.

the donut didn't fit nicely into the invidia side so it acted like a giant ball joint making the whole exhaust pivot around behind it.

^ The hardware provided should have solved the issue - I have no movement at that junction: if there were, then that junction would never have sealed properly.

There's movement of the pipes both upstream and downstream, where they are, in-turn, on their individual hangers, but that's also something that is not at all unforeseen, given that Invidia even incorporated a flex section into the forward portion of the mid.

A little shifting is not the problem. Factory exhaust hangers are rubber for a reason - they allow some movement to take off stress, as well as allow for dampening of any vibration which may be transmitted through the exhaust pipework.

I think that the problem here comes from the Invidia pipes not being configured optimally as well as that there exists insufficient allotment for actual adjustment of the cross-pipe so that, these two factors, when combined with individual/unique-vehicle production variability, causes so many headaches.

I got lucky.

Gmachine's post details the extent to which he had to modify his setup (FWIW, on mine, I actually have enough room, by the looks of it, to clear the aftermarket suspension components that he had trouble with) - and the posts of others here, including yourself, all goes to show that this system simply needs a bit more work/thought at the factory. :)

---

PS: love your new avatar!!!!!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

hmm...well since these things are so screw ball. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some pretty noticeable variability between kits.

something else that Midas did that really reduced the amount of slop and shifting is that the Y-pipe is welded to the mufflers instead of using the original slip joints. that thing had so much slop with the slip joints they insisted on welding it.

^ I think that if one were able to perfect the adjustments, then that's not a bad idea.

Given the need for adjustability, I can see why they used the slip joints, but indeed, I had not thought of it that way - that it could also produce problems, in and of itself.

a little over $100 and a trip to midas made short work of my fitment issues.

Sometimes its better to have a pro install it...

I DID have a pro install it and I helped. However, we shouldn't have to hack up a brand new exhaust to get it to fit nicely, i.e. cutting dp flange. However, I have a Perrin DP, so it already has a flat flange...

The only thing I suggested (which I believe Invidia did) was to cut about 1/2" off the mid-pipe just behind the front flange so that the mufflers would sit back enough to clear the underneath of the bumper without rubbing.

How often did you check your cut-out/bumper clearance?

I checked about a dozen times, with test-drives of increasing duration/length (and seeking out the most pock-marked streets around, too), and the first half-dozen or so, each time, the exhaust had shifted so that the outboard tips touched the rear bumper skin - which is why I kept trimming.

No kidding, I think I've got right around 5 inches trimmed off of that cross-pipe.

I got the exhaust with the x-over pipe trimmed from FBP, so I didn't think there would be an issue.

As far as checking - I checked the exhaust every time I got out of the car...so often to the extent that my friends were giving me crap for it :lol: . The passenger side is constantly off and I keep pushing it back into place, the driver side, I thought, was perfect until I looked at it Saturday and noticed the exhaust cutout was melting away.

I thought I was fairly lucky, but apparently I was not. I'm ordering STi muffler hangers today which may alleviate some of the moving around. Then, it's time to decide if I'm going to buy the CF garnish, or just buy a new/used bumper and have it repainted.

The BIGGEST thing that pisses me off is that I JUST had my rear bumper repainted due to some a****le dropping a bucket on the bumper, so that money I spent just went out the damn window. :mad:

I got the exhaust with the x-over pipe trimmed from FBP, so I didn't think there would be an issue.

Given your input, I think it's apparent that there's more than just length that's the issue - in order to make it sufficiently adjustable to account for variances, they need to further flare the female ends, like Gmachine suggested.

As far as checking - I checked the exhaust every time I got out of the car...so often to the extent that my friends were giving me crap for it :lol: . The passenger side is constantly off and I keep pushing it back into place, the driver side, I thought, was perfect until I looked at it Saturday and noticed the exhaust cutout was melting away.

Ooooooh - thanks for that. With that in-mind, I'll be sure to check more thoroughly!

One thing I noticed from playing around with mine so much was that if I pushed on the passenger side, it would displace the driver's side, too. This was in-part why I got so aggressive with my cutting, because it seemed to me that the difference would be "halved" between the two sides.

I thought I was fairly lucky, but apparently I was not. I'm ordering STi muffler hangers today which may alleviate some of the moving around.

Part of the issue for me is that I think I need a longer outboard passenger side hanger, that it was pulling the muffler too much towards the outboard passenger side.

Please keep me/us informed as to what you see, with stiffer hangers.

Then, it's time to decide if I'm going to buy the CF garnish, or just buy a new/used bumper and have it repainted.

The BIGGEST thing that pisses me off is that I JUST had my rear bumper repainted due to some a****le dropping a bucket on the bumper, so that money I spent just went out the damn window. :mad:

Oh man, that SUCKS!!!!! :mad::mad::spin::(

Hey, BTW, if you find the CF garnish, please let me know, too. I only see the aluminum.....

I also thought I was one of the lucky ones. Lately though I have the cut out melting on both the driver and passenger side. I will probably do what TSI+WRX did and start by trimming some more off of the passenger cross pipe. If that doesn't solve the issue I will probably just take it into Midas. I do like the looks and sounds of the exhaust though.

And I do have Rallitek exhaust hangers. Everyhting is very snug. Not a lot of movement. I just need the tips to be more centered in the cut out.

^ Do you use the standard length (http://www.rallitek.com/raexhalamowr.html), or the extended length ("Drop Hangers" - http://www.rallitek.com/cuexha.html)?

I'm thinking about going preemptive, and getting the longer hangers for both outboard.

The Kartboy 12mm, which Digi used here:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118946&highlight=garnish&page=3

- seemed to do the trick for a Cobb canister that was problematic. That also seem to match up to the "Drop Hangers" from Rallitek.

I wonder if a longer hanger on the outside, coupled with a "tuck" on the inboard side would lead to better aesthetics than with the tips hanging farther down?

Are you guys looking for the pipes to be flush against the bumper or stick out and point up (more aggressive look IMHO). With mine installed (I know worthless without pics) mine point up and stick out an inch or so past the bumper if not 1.5 or 2. Just curious
habitual derail-er

Are you guys looking for the pipes to be flush against the bumper or stick out and point up (more aggressive look IMHO). With mine installed (I know worthless without pics) mine point up and stick out an inch or so past the bumper if not 1.5 or 2. Just curious

Mine stick out from the bumper a bit as well. I believe some members have cut the mid down to get a more tucked look.

I'm sticking "out and up."

My wife used to call me a prick...... :lol:

Thank you, thank you. Be here all week (and long after....). :lol:

:redface:

Humor isn't my strong suit.....

Holy horrible fitment...

So i installed the CBE on sunday.

The setup: Stock DP(till next week), Invidia CBE. Two extended hangers and the rest stock which i will change since i think the stock hangers are allowing too much sway.

The good: The sound is awesome, quiet, mellow. I am not totally sure how much the stock dp is restricting but its perfect for stealth as far as sound. The wail comes in at WOT and sounds sublime in tunnels.

The bad: The fitment was not good i had to cut little notches in the bumper for the cans not to rub on the bumper. Also I had to use extended kartboy hangers on the one hanger for each muffler to drop the mufflers down or else the tuck in would burn the bumper.

The Ugly: It is burning the sides of my bumper. Me thinks its cause of the swaying from the stock rubber hangers. I will post pics of the fitment and burning tonight.

Will update after i install my perrin dp. If it gets worse i might just have a shop take care of it for me.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

^ :( Ugh. :(

You know, the weird thing is that we're all getting different problems - it's starting to make me wonder how close each unit is made to-spec?

If you (not you, specifically, but the general "you" ;)) looked at both this thread and the FredBeansParts thread, it seems that we're all getting into different trouble areas.

Mine, for example, differ from yours in that I don't have any problems with the canisters at all (including no need to notch the underside of the bumper skin, i.e. Gmachine's install) - and I'm using all stock hangers.

Now that my suspension's settled back a little, I'm actually having trouble with the rear sway (stock, for the time being) contacting the cross-over. I can't say, for sure, that this isn't because my passenger side sway bracket is bent, so I'll get that addressed, first, before revisiting this again.

korpsepatrol, did you get a first-run (original), or the second-run (revised)?

Holy horrible fitment...

So i installed the CBE on sunday.

The setup: Stock DP(till next week), Invidia CBE. Two extended hangers and the rest stock which i will change since i think the stock hangers are allowing too much sway.

The good: The sound is awesome, quiet, mellow. I am not totally sure how much the stock dp is restricting but its perfect for stealth as far as sound. The wail comes in at WOT and sounds sublime in tunnels.

The bad: The fitment was not good i had to cut little notches in the bumper for the cans not to rub on the bumper. Also I had to use extended kartboy hangers on the one hanger for each muffler to drop the mufflers down or else the tuck in would burn the bumper.

The Ugly: It is burning the sides of my bumper. Me thinks its cause of the swaying from the stock rubber hangers. I will post pics of the fitment and burning tonight.

Will update after i install my perrin dp. If it gets worse i might just have a shop take care of it for me.

Yep, yep, yep. I have the Perrin DP. Didn't help much. I already put a call into Invidia and spoke to one of the guys, they won't have anything resolved until an April time frame. The sway of the muffler hangers, coupled with the SOFT transmission crossmember bushing does not help this exhaust.

I'll post pics of my bumper eventually :lol:

Tsi, I have the revised version from KOP. To be honest the main thing i am afraid about is the flanges mating up properly when i put the dp on there.

The mufflers when using stock exhaust hangers have alot of sway however tucked in beautifully...so beautifully that i almost kept it that way. Thank god i didn't though or i would have no bumper. Right now they are dropped a bit almost like the blitz nur spec's which i have seen i think on your car(if i am not mistaked).

Maddoc, I will be replacing the stock hangers with the rallitek exhaust hangers to see how that works and i will be putting on the group n tranny bushing next week i hope. How did the Perrin DP add to the sound if you don't mind explaining. Did it deepen it, make it raspier, etc? Thanks! Any fitment issues with the DP(single piece catted)?

I will post all my pics from my awful broken digital camera tonight. Hopefully i still have a bumper by the time i get this all sorted out. I wonder if Invidia would give us some sort of replacement(i know i know prob not).

R.I.P Coxx

Tsi, I have the revised version from KOP. To be honest the main thing i am afraid about is the flanges mating up properly when i put the dp on there.

That's interesting - the revised version...rumor has it that Invidia did not take the advice given by various members of this community to shorten the mid-pipe section, and it looks like this is indeed causing issues, in terms of pushing the muffler cans too far backward, necessitating the trim that Gmachine documented.

The mufflers when using stock exhaust hangers have alot of sway however tucked in beautifully...so beautifully that i almost kept it that way. Thank god i didn't though or i would have no bumper. Right now they are dropped a bit almost like the blitz nur spec's which i have seen i think on your car(if i am not mistaked).

That's interesting....

I almost wonder if you shouldn't shorten the cross-pipe a bit more -

My reasoning is because, on my car, my hangers (stock) are really rather tightly stretched. They're actually not allowing that much movement, and the fit is rather snug (I'm at less than a finger's width from the outboard tips to the bumper skin, and at about one and 1/2 finger-widths from the top of the inboard tip to the bottom of the bumper cut-out.

Neither canister is dropped "bottom" as with the Nur-Spec Tourings that I had....although to be completely fair, with the Touring canisters, that was just the way they were made to fit, to give that "big butt" look, since the tips on those are really nice and snug against the bumper cut-out (less than 1 and 1/2 finger widths, IIRC).

So, your setup is sitting more like the Megans, now, then?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/complete-megan-racing-catback-info-41221.html?t=41221&highlight=megan+quad+tip

Tsi, i didn't get a revised one from invidia i bought the one KOP was selling that they cut the pipe that was too long.

I personally liked the nur spec look also. My favorite of all time though was the avo's which you could also see the whole can almost, just too expensive for me this time around since i found them for my last car used. BOT

The exhaust sits similar to the megans which others have mentioned it looks fine on my car but its not my cup of tea. I prefer the tucked look, just afraid of the sway that is happening burning my whole bumper.

After i install all my parts(which is a long list) within the next two weeks, i will take it to a shop to straighten everything out. Till then i will have to keep just taking it off the bumper after every ride :(.

R.I.P Coxx

^ Ah, gotcha - that clears it all up. :)

I'm somewhat missing my old setup, it was certainly distinctive, and as with you, I liked - and still like - the "big butt" look.

Just trying out something new, taking things a different direction, with the Invidia. :)

Archived