LegacyGT.com

New quad tip muffler... stay tuned

lawl

^ That's me, too, but I haven't experienced "knock-back" that's that severe, yet. Mine is more like a rub.

I'm stepping up - all the way up - to the Perrin 25mm bars (yes, I've already got the AVO reinforcement as well as splurged to get the Perrin reinforcement brackets, by buying the FBP version of their rear bar, which is much pricier than the Perrin sale ones that do not include that hardware...and I'm also getting the Energy Suspension bushings and brackets, too), so we'll see what happens, then.

did that change the placement of the sway bar? is there a bar that will clear this? I have a Whiteline...i think if I go back to stock it will be ok.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ I'm not sure, yet, as I have not yet installed either any of the reinforcements (also the Energy components are still winging their way to me, as I just ordered them last night) or the new bar. :redface: I'm a little slower on the mods, now, what with my toddler around and all. :lol:

However, no, I don't believe that will change the placement of the bar, and what's more, I think that the thicker bar will likely impinge more on the system - not less.

What I'm getting now isn't actually a hit - it's an occasional rub.

Anyway, yea we tend to get tired of old stuff and look for new things but unfortunately our cars are not as popular as the other models. Quality and affordable exhaust systems is few.

+1.

I can't even find a quality "Y" pipe (that fits stock) except AVO'$. $600 plus for a Y is kinda expen$ive. Perrin also stopped making the Ys, so here I am searching.:redface:

My Lachute Y was around $280 - it was a great piece. Excellent material, excellent welds, and light as all heck. I can see why people love their parts. I also damaged it during my little reversing accident, the one where I dented my driver-side can, and it only illustrated how well made (but as such, fragile, when hit "just right") this component is, as it literally sheared clean, right at a weld.

The problem with these Ys is that they'll also require upstream piping, as the stock Y-and-mid are a one-piece deal. So that adds to the price, too. :(

I was about to place an order for the Invidia but an "honest" vendor out of Florida told me about the fitment issues and then this thread confirmed it.

Yep, all of the honest Vendors have been very up-front with the fitment issues - FredBeansParts, of course, offered us first-generation owners not-insignificant restitution for our time lost or payments to muffler/speed-shops, and, of-course, is also working on pushing Invidia to get the right corrections done to the V.2. :)

I'll be hanging out here. I really like what I see with the Invidias. :wub:

^ That was my thing, too.

I knew of Invidia's quality from the Impreza crowd locally, and this particular unit provided very attractive aesthetics (to my tastes, at least ;)) as well as tone, and most importantly, it's built from the right materials for survival up here in NE-Ohio. The pricing, to me, was a simple bonus. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ I'm not sure, yet, as I have not yet installed either any of the reinforcements (also the Energy components are still winging their way to me, as I just ordered them last night) or the new bar. :redface: I'm a little slower on the mods, now, what with my toddler around and all. :lol:

However, no, I don't believe that will change the placement of the bar, and what's more, I think that the thicker bar will likely impinge more on the system - not less.

Each rear sway bar for the LGT seems to be designed slightly differently. Some of them may actually clear the crossover piping... if so, I need to find one. I fixed the crossover again last night, drove to work and checked the piping. It moved back over like 1/2" in. If I could get the sway bar to stop hitting the piping and in turn moving the piping, my bumper would stop melting :lol: I may put the stock rear back on :(

I guarantee by the time I get home, the pipe will have moved back 2 inches...annoying.

Quality and affordable exhaust systems is few. I can't even find a quality "Y" pipe (that fits stock) except AVO'$. $600 plus for a Y is kinda expen$ive. Perrin also stopped making the Ys, so here I am searching.:redface:

Like I said, you can get a cheap 3" mid/y that bolts to stock locations off ebay. Buy this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dual-Catback-Exhaust-Subaru-Legacy-GT-05-07-Big-Power_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem563ad2c0beQQitemZ370354077886QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Sell the cans for $120 shipped or whatever, and you have yourself a cheap mid/y that can bolt up to stock cans. If you are worried about it rusting, then coat it.

Like I said, you can get a cheap 3" mid/y that bolts to stock locations off ebay. Buy this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dual-Catback-Exhaust-Subaru-Legacy-GT-05-07-Big-Power_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem563ad2c0beQQitemZ370354077886QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Sell the cans for $120 shipped or whatever, and you have yourself a cheap mid/y that can bolt up to stock cans. If you are worried about it rusting, then coat it.

I am not looking for just cheap stuff. I am looking for a reasonably- priced parts that fit.;) I am not crazy about ebay stuff.:eek: Do you know of anyone in this forum who owns that MID?

"Remember..."MODDING is a HOBBY:icon_bigg, not a BAAAD HABIT";) .

I am not looking for just cheap stuff. I am looking for a reasonably- priced parts that fit.;) I am not crazy about ebay stuff.:eek: Do you know of anyone in this forum who owns that MID?

haha it fits fine, especially if you already have a 3" DP. There are a lot of people on the forum who run that mid-pipe as well as the full catback.

^ There's a lot of members here with that particular system - most have experienced one winter with them, now, but long-term durability is an unknown.

If the claim that it's true/100% 304 stainless is a true one, then there should be no problems - or, at max, problems only at the weld.

Edit: dangit, he beat me by 2 minutes! :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Can everyone post up pictures of their exhaust and their rear sway bar set ups? What aftermarket rear sway bars are people running with this exhaust? Any issues?

Like I have mentioned, my whiteline is giving me major issues.

did that change the placement of the sway bar? is there a bar that will clear this? I have a Whiteline...i think if I go back to stock it will be ok.

The AVO RSB bracket is about 5mm thick,it moves the sway bar that distance toward the rear of the car. As far as height,i believe it is at stock level. I have Swift sway bars it just clears,but can be made to contact the crossover easily by just shaking the exhaust.

The AVO RSB bracket is about 5mm thick,it moves the sway bar that distance toward the rear of the car. As far as height,i believe it is at stock level. I have Swift sway bars it just clears,but can be made to contact the crossover easily by just shaking the exhaust.

And I just PMed you too :lol:

I may have to get the AVO piece, or another one of the RSB brackets that are made ASAP. I need that clearance otherwise my RSB is just going to keep rubbing and pushing my muffler out.

I think I'm going to add some spacers tonight until I can get the AVO RSB mounts. Maybe some washers or a metal plate I have lying around.

I just need to get the RSB off the exhaust or else my 70 miles a day is just going to continue to destroy my freshly painted rear bumper :(

haha it fits fine, especially if you already have a 3" DP. There are a lot of people on the forum who run that mid-pipe as well as the full catback.

For that price I'll donate the cans.:lol::lol:

That system has no fitment issues? :iam::spin:

Invidia should have hired these guys for R&D;):lol:

A bunch of guys here went for the Megan Racing dual tips. Anyone among you had it? I did not find any issues with the system. Any thoughts?

Can everyone post up pictures of their exhaust and their rear sway bar set ups? What aftermarket rear sway bars are people running with this exhaust? Any issues?

Way back on pg.14 post#199 are my pics. Remember to grind the AVO rsb for clearance on the driver side.

A quick comparison,suspension unloaded and loaded. Any guess which way Invidia did the mock up ?:rolleyes:

IMG_4769.jpg.125a080fb32dba12781d5efbfd4bc1b6.jpg

IMG_4872.jpg.4d858b2d867962c18192004895026722.jpg

^ Certainly unloaded. I think that they did the prototyping on the lift, and someone forgot to take the thing out for an extended ride. It wasn't until after my suspension re-settled, some two days later (my commute is less than 20 miles a day) that I started getting the tell-tale squeak that comes from having the bar rub on the cross-pipe.

I also can't help but wonder if lawl may have had minor suspension modifications that could have contributed to the issues at-hand with the bar-rub - and furthermore, it also seems, at least from reviewing his prototype's pictures on page 1 of this thread, that his prototype has perhaps a slightly different angle at the Y junction (less of a right angle), thus creating extra clearances.

^ I'll post per your request as soon as I've got my new setup in - but for the time being, I'm still stock. :redface: It's going to take at least another week for the parts to trickle-in, and I don't know that I'll have any time next month for mods, as our nanny goes on vacation, then. :spin:

A bunch of guys here went for the Megan Racing dual tips. Anyone among you had it? I did not find any issues with the system. Any thoughts?

^ I have not had direct experience with it, and although I desired it at one point, I ended-up not having gone that route due to concerns of harshness/tone, as well as for the aesthetics of the can/tip area (the reason why I prefer the Invidias, which more closely approximates the aesthetics of the JDM BL/BP-STI canisters and also among the reasons why I did not pursue the Stromung dual-tips, back in the days).

I don't seem to recall fitment being an issue of the Megans.

RE: "eBay BL exhaust" aka CXLighting aka Gimmick CBE:

For that price I'll donate the cans.:lol::lol:

That system has no fitment issues? :iam:

Invidia should have hired these guys for R&D;):lol:

IIRC, the way the cans hang (i.e. left versus right "balance" - akin to troubles with the Perrins and, to an extent [albeit minimal] with both the Megan single and dual-tips) was the sole issue.

FWIW, I believe that these systems were more "reverse engineered" than the Invidias - hence the lack of trouble with fitment. I believe that Invidia went out on their own, to try to deliver an original and improved product, but ran in to some rather understandable, yet undeniably shortsighted, problems.

Way back on pg.14 post#199 are my pics. Remember to grind the AVO rsb for clearance on the driver side.

A quick comparison,suspension unloaded and loaded. Any guess which way Invidia did the mock up ?:rolleyes:

Just my two cents. Looking at the photo, what happens if you loosen the (2) clamps at the shortest ends of the "Y" and then pull down the Y, then tighten the clamps. This should also tip the exhaust tips upwards.

also photo on the right shows the rubber hanger stretched down quite a bit, can you bend (carefully not to break the weld) the hook up so it lowers that end of the muffler?

Just an idea.

Well I mocked up some spacers last night and it definitely fixed the clearance issue. However, didn't fix my wandering crossover pipe. I drove it around last night and sure enough, the crossover pipe moved about a 1/2" to 1" again, and I broke the stupid little triangle piece in the exhaust clamp (too tight) :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what to do. I noticed that from looking at your pictures, my crossover pipe may need to be rotated down a little, maybe this will alleviate the slipping? Maybe my crossover pipe isn't cut short enough? Maybe I should just go to an exhaust shop and have them hack 1/2" off the front of the mid-pipe and change the slip joint at the y-pipe and crossover to a flange.

I love the sound of this exhaust, and the way it looks, but holy ****, I have never had such a crappy fitting exhaust that has caused me such a headache... My bumper is ruined, I've spent about 6+ hours of my personal time taking it apart and putting it back together, and I'm going to go at it again this weekend because it continues to melt my bumper.

I can't even repair my bumper at this point, so I'll need to buy a new rear bumper, and then have it painted.

So, this $6xx exhaust has now jumped to over a $1000 exhaust, just because of the bumper :mad: I haven't even factored in the exhaust shop cost...

Maddoc, How did the Perrin DP add to the sound if you don't mind explaining. Did it deepen it, make it raspier, etc? Thanks! Any fitment issues with the DP(single piece catted)?

Btw sorry to hear about all of those issues you have been having with them.

I am going to be adding my perrin dp this or next weekend and then cobb sways with avo rsb brackets so i will let you guys know how that fits with pictures of course.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

I have the 2-piece Perrin catted DP. It's pretty quiet honestly. I can hear it when I get on it, but driving normally its pretty tame. I like it. Its got a fairly deep tone to it...definitely not raspy. I hate raspy.

^ You best bet might be to take it to an exhaust shop. Have them fit it and maybe weld the crossover pipe

If I go to an exhaust shop, I am having them weld on flanges, not weld the crossoverpipe to the y-pipe, that would be silly!

I have the 2-piece Perrin catted DP. It's pretty quiet honestly. I can hear it when I get on it, but driving normally its pretty tame. I like it. Its got a fairly deep tone to it...definitely not raspy. I hate raspy.

If I go to an exhaust shop, I am having them weld on flanges, not weld the crossoverpipe to the y-pipe, that would be silly!

Good point :)

Awesome i hate raspy as well. Now i can't wait to put the dp on.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

FLANGE...this exhaust definitely needs a flange at the y-pipe to crossover, or a clamp like the Perrin exhaust I have. There is way too much movement and the slip joint just will not stay in one place. Blah. exhaust shop here I come.

Archived