LegacyGT.com

New quad tip muffler... stay tuned

lawl

I'm late to the discussion, but very familiar with the problem. And like a few of you out there, my shop had to modify my Invidia DP to make the Q300 fit. I replaced my Borla for this because, like you, I wanted to quad-tip. To try and get the fit right, I used combinations of stock, STI, and Kartboy hangers, and only a combination of those appeared to line things up. However, I saw just how wrong I was after a weekend at Summit Point.

This is after a day at the track.

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=666&pictureid=3503

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=666&pictureid=3504

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=666&pictureid=3505

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YIKES. And I thought my burnt bumper was bad...

And like a few of you out there, my shop had to modify my Invidia DP to make the Q300 fit.

They should have modified the exhaust mid-pipe, not the downpipe :(

The mid-pipe needed about 1/2" hacked off behind the flange. What shop did you use in MD? I'm still looking for a place to fix this exhaust for me.

mr_csl - I saw your other thread, :(:mad: , indeed.

I'm almost wondering if the combo of different hangers may have resulted in too much play? The reason I ask is because it's obvious that those chunks were taken out of your bumper skin via direct contact (question: was there any residual on your muffler tips?), and like you said, on the track, the extreme G-forces may have caused the system to shift, where it did not on the streets, in normal daily driving.

In-retrospect, would it have helped more if you'd gone with stiffer KB hangers all-around, and instead, adjusted (bent) the actual metal hangers to give better alignment?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

In-retrospect, would it have helped more if you'd gone with stiffer KB hangers all-around, and instead, adjusted (bent) the actual metal hangers to give better alignment?

KB hangers are not good for this exhaust at all. STi or Rallitek. The way the hangers are there is too much play with KB. You need ones that use the stock design.

^ Please clarify...

I thought that the differences in the aftermarket hangers was typically related to their lengths - and that the Kartboy, etc., all used a "stiffer" material to allow for less movement.

For example, Ralliteks also are of several different designs/lengths:

http://www.rallitek.com/prodtype.asp?SEARCHWORDS=exhaust+hanger

I'm confused..... :redface::confused:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

^ Ah, now that's a good point.....

YIKES. And I thought my burnt bumper was bad...

They should have modified the exhaust mid-pipe, not the downpipe :(

The mid-pipe needed about 1/2" hacked off behind the flange. What shop did you use in MD? I'm still looking for a place to fix this exhaust for me.

Like LegacyGTBiggie mentioned, I went to Agile to get the exhaust installed. We had to postpone the install for over a month while we waited for the exhaust to arrive. One delay after another.

mr_csl - I saw your other thread, :(:mad: , indeed.

I'm almost wondering if the combo of different hangers may have resulted in too much play? The reason I ask is because it's obvious that those chunks were taken out of your bumper skin via direct contact (question: was there any residual on your muffler tips?), and like you said, on the track, the extreme G-forces may have caused the system to shift, where it did not on the streets, in normal daily driving.

Without a doubt there was a whole lot of direct contact! You definitely make a good point about the combo of hangers. I may have to go all STI around and see how that works, or just drop some coin and get the exhaust itself modified.

Is anyone seeking damages for this? This is like Toyota or a Ford Pinto. They release 2 consecutive versions of the same product and both have design defects. If Invidia contracted out the manufacturing of this, then it could be argued that this is a manufacturing defect. But 2 consecutive versions speaks to flawed design, not manufacturing. I want to replace my diffuser!

Is anyone seeking damages for this? This is like Toyota or a Ford Pinto. They release 2 consecutive versions of the same product and both have design defects. If Invidia contracted out the manufacturing of this, then it could be argued that this is a manufacturing defect. But 2 consecutive versions speaks to flawed design, not manufacturing. I want to replace my diffuser!

What version do you have? You got the second version with the flanged muffler?

I don't think anyone is seeking damages...wouldn't even know how to start that. My bumper is melted too, just from daily driving.

^

Class action lawsuit. Easily would be settled out of court. My cousin is a lawyer that specializes in this sort of law and could get the ball rolling.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_yXhSoIplCT8/TE7TZVnSjeI/AAAAAAAAAvc/UIKLA2c-9tE/Muffler1.jpeg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_yXhSoIplCT8/TE7TZtBVI1I/AAAAAAAAAvg/Uy5Id1G1Q44/Muffler%202.jpeg

habitual derail-er

What version do you have? You got the second version with the flanged muffler?.

Yeah, I have version 2. The delivery of the system was delayed by over a month because the distributor kept getting new and incorrect delivery dates.

You've seen pictures of mine. How would I know the difference between my v2 and the v1 exhaust?

• 2 weeks later...

09_Red_GT's "For Sale" thread is the first I've heard, of a V3 revision:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-ma-new-invidia-q300-cbe-v-3-new-invidia-dp-143479.html?t=143479

So here is the deal is Invidia will ship to me or wherever I want a brand new Q300 CBE version 3 quad tip exhaust system. They stated in an email that all fitment issues had been worked out, and no melting would occur like the first and second versions of this.

... The exhaust will be shipped in 2-3 weeks from Invidia

• 2 weeks later...
FYI, V.3 should be out soon. I was test fitting locally for Invidia, and I've got the final version on right now and so far it fits perfectly with no movement, no expansion, etc. I'd post a picture but I'm too lazy, and all it looks like is a Version 1 that fits the way it should.

Archived