LegacyGT.com

New quad tip muffler... stay tuned

lawl

Actually, if you look at the v2 and v3 comparison picture, it isn't the mid-pipe section. It's the redesign of the y-pipe where they added an additional flange just before the exhaust splits that is contacting the rear control arm. That flange didn't exist on the v2 exhaust.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
^ Unknown - the exhaust garnishes will need to be highly heat resistant......

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

All I did was put aluminum plating on the inside of the exhaust cutouts and have had no

issues at all. This is with the V1 exhaust that everyone is having issues with.

I centered mine as best I can, and lined the cut-outs with DEI heat-tape. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

I haven't posted any updates on my exhaust for a while so here goes..

I fixed it and i will post pics one day... when its clean.

I had to bend the muffler hangers a bit since they kept sliding off. I also placed 4 rubber grommets that slide onto the hangers then 4 screw clamps on top of those rubber grommets to stop the sliding (basically 1 for each hanger on the mufflers).

After I did that I found them to sit perfect without swaying. The damage or burning the bumper though had already been done though.

I have had this exhaust on the car now since end of May -June. The exhaust note is quite nice. I would have to say the exhaust did get a little raspier than when I first installed it but that could also be the cat in the perrin dp not being new anymore. The sound is still subdued though so as long as your cruising around 2-4k its perfect with no drone. After 4k it gets rowdy and quite awesome if you ask me.

**WARNING** those little Invidia advertisements on the tips fall off and when they wear they rattle on the tips! So if you hear a tinny rattle check those! I was freaking out for two weeks till I found the cause and i pulled both of them off.

The question now is, what to do with the bumper to hide the burned edges?

I have yet to install my cobb rear sways which once I do again I will update the fitment and thoughts on it.

Would I do this again? Probably not but the price was right. I still love the AVO Catback over all.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

^ Thanks for that update! :)

My last cat might finally have died, too, after now nearly 4 and a half years of "Stage II." :lol: I'm now getting some pretty loud pops out back, and I wonder if that isn't me making fireballs.....:redface:

The sound, like you said, is quite nice. Gone is the booming bass of my old setup (resonated 3" Magnaflow mid-into-Lachute Y-into-Blitz NurSpec Touring canisters), at-idle: these Invidias truly are very civilized down-low. But in-trade for that is a rip-roaring top-end (too bad the stock turbo stops making power so soon! :spin:) that's a real guilty-pleasure.

---

was planning to powdercoat them black so they're "hidden" and line them with thermo-tape.

^ That'll be very nice, I think. :wub:

Hum.....maybe I'll need to steal this idea from you..... :)

Invidia has made a big improvement to V3,with the exception of the mid pipe. My car can't be unique in that the flex section hits the bearing support. The engine mounts have never been touched,the turbo has never been off the car. I am using an Invidia down pipe.

Having said that V3 when paired with my modified V1 mid pipe fits great! Nothing hits. The sway bar has plenty of clearance. Mufflers are well off the bodywork,no rattles or buzzing from the exhaust. I think i am really done with this.

At this point i stopped bothering to bolt up the rest of V3 because of the flex section problem. Bolted my Modified V1 mid pipe back up and continued with V3 parts. Comparison of V3 mid and my V1 "shorty" mid when bolted up to V3 rear section.

Remind me again what you had the shop do to the V1 Midpipe? It looks like you had the flexpipe flipped 180 degrees and shortended. Do you think the V3 midpipe is identical to the V1 (prior to your modification) ? Just trying to decide which midpipe I should have modified. If this is what's going to cure it all, I'm going this route.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z87/HDCHUNG2/IMG_5311.jpg

I think the V1 and V3 are nearly identical in layout.Wish i had a stock V1 for the picture,Invidia may have moved the flex rearward a tad on V3. This picture was taken with the V3 resting on top of my V1.

The exhaust shop cut the flex out and flipped it 180deg. You can see in the photo where the cuts were made.

The shop then flared the cut off section so it could then slip over the other section.

Make sure this is done on the car with the suspension unloaded,just to make sure the new flange clears the lateral arm.

After that when you are happy with muffler position and all,weld up and drive off.

Looks great, Gmachine. :)

How are the tips sitting in the cutout?

Archived