LegacyGT.com

The Official Tuning Thread

Infamous1

How'd you get to stage 2? Did you read the sticky about vagcom and data logging?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/using-ebay-vag-com-cable-datalog-96737.html

just got a blue vagcom cable from ebay. i want to log with romraider and looks at it with learning view as well...ill leave the flashing to the pros unless i decide to do infamous tuning revisions. idk where to start! i tried oepning rom raider and it said my cable wasnt connected. i changed b4 port 3 and 4 and no recognition.. i even synced my blue tooth dongle to my samsung win xp tablet thinking it might work as a cable but it doesnt seem to work that way. i was allowed to assign the ebay BT dongle to port 3 tho

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm basically having the same problems with rr too. I had it working fine a couple days ago and managed to get some logs of just driving around, but my 3rd gear pull didn't log properly for some reason. I went back the next day and rr refused to connect with my ecu and I have no idea why. I've checked and double checked the bps (4800 right?) and I even bought a new serial to usb cord to go with the ap v1 dongle (and all the drivers are in the rr folder). The ap dongle still works with ap v1, and I tried re-installing rr, but it still won't connect. I'm all out of ideas as to what it could be and help would be much appreciated

update - ecuexplorer works and logs just fine, but romraider still has a hate on for me an my computer. I'm gonna try a different laptop because vista sucks and I'm hoping that was the problem

ecuexplorer is a similar alternative to logging than rom raider? perhaps this will work better with my cable. in response to previouse question i got to stage 2 by putting in a catless up and down pipe mated to an xo2 exhaust. I then had it protuned by "turbo mike" on the street/highway in middleboro MA

• I Donated Too
I'm basically having the same problems with rr too. I had it working fine a couple days ago and managed to get some logs of just driving around, but my 3rd gear pull didn't log properly for some reason. I went back the next day and rr refused to connect with my ecu and I have no idea why. I've checked and double checked the bps (4800 right?) and I even bought a new serial to usb cord to go with the ap v1 dongle (and all the drivers are in the rr folder). The ap dongle still works with ap v1, and I tried re-installing rr, but it still won't connect. I'm all out of ideas as to what it could be and help would be much appreciated

update - ecuexplorer works and logs just fine, but romraider still has a hate on for me an my computer. I'm gonna try a different laptop because vista sucks and I'm hoping that was the problem

I'm confused. Are you trying to do opensource tuning and use an AP V1 Accessport at the same time?

What is going on in this thread?

I am trying to use a vagcom blue ebay cable to log data on my windows xp samsung tablet (like a mini laptop). i have downloaded RR learning view and rr logger. i believe i have the drivers and i downloaded the vagcom driver (which is weird and should have its own thread). point is i cant get my computer to recognize the cable and i get definitions error when i keep downloading the right ecu defs

haha funny u mention that. im in the process of wiping everything off my tab and starting completely over going over the sticky- to a T. gotta love nothing to do sundays :) its getting the vag com to get recognized on RR or learning view. i can get it assigned to a port but my programs wont recognize them. your avi is hilarious too :lol:

I'm confused. Are you trying to do opensource tuning and use an AP V1 Accessport at the same time?

What is going on in this thread?

I should learn to explain better haha. I was trying to do some data logging as I just got some maps from pdxtuning and wanted to check that everything was running smooth. I had romraider working on my laptop with the ap dongle and a serial to usb cord, but then it stopped working for some reason. I thought it might have been the cords, so I bought a new serial to usb and then checked the ap dongle by plugging it in to the obdII port and my v1 accessport and everything worked as it should, so I couldn't figure out what was going wrong. Especially when ecu explorer worked, but romraider didn't, that threw me for a loop. I would have been happy with just using ecu ex, but some of the parameters pdx wanted me to log don't exist in ecu ex.

I still don't know why romraider won't work with my laptop anymore, but I ended up borrowing a friends laptop and it works fine with his so I'll just have to bug him anytime I need to do some logging. Sorry for the confusion, I was just really frustrated when I wrote that first post

• I Donated Too
I am trying to use a vagcom blue ebay cable to log data on my windows xp samsung tablet (like a mini laptop). i have downloaded RR learning view and rr logger. i believe i have the drivers and i downloaded the vagcom driver (which is weird and should have its own thread). point is i cant get my computer to recognize the cable and i get definitions error when i keep downloading the right ecu defs

haha funny u mention that. im in the process of wiping everything off my tab and starting completely over going over the sticky- to a T. gotta love nothing to do sundays :) its getting the vag com to get recognized on RR or learning view. i can get it assigned to a port but my programs wont recognize them. your avi is hilarious too :lol:

I should learn to explain better haha. I was trying to do some data logging as I just got some maps from pdxtuning and wanted to check that everything was running smooth. I had romraider working on my laptop with the ap dongle and a serial to usb cord, but then it stopped working for some reason. I thought it might have been the cords, so I bought a new serial to usb and then checked the ap dongle by plugging it in to the obdII port and my v1 accessport and everything worked as it should, so I couldn't figure out what was going wrong. Especially when ecu explorer worked, but romraider didn't, that threw me for a loop. I would have been happy with just using ecu ex, but some of the parameters pdx wanted me to log don't exist in ecu ex.

I still don't know why romraider won't work with my laptop anymore, but I ended up borrowing a friends laptop and it works fine with his so I'll just have to bug him anytime I need to do some logging. Sorry for the confusion, I was just really frustrated when I wrote that first post

so perhaps out of date operating systems could be the cause of a no cennection?

All of these concerns really should be addressed in one of the stickied vagcom threads, not the tuning thread.

FWIW, I had a difficult time getting my POS vagcom to link up to Ecuflash. After re-installing and following the instructions to a "T" (without success), I ended up snagging a used tactrix 1.3 on here. Worked perfectly with RR, Ecuflash, LV, and freessm. Using a software supported cable is worth the cost over the headache IMO.

• 2 months later...
ok im looking for a tuning shop in the philly area. any places you guys would reccomend? thanks

Jeff Evans did my 1st turbo car back in 03. but here's some options you have locally.

Precision Tuning in Lakewood, NJ. http://www.precisiontuning.com/10/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1

Jeff Evans is in east strouds - http://www.evans-tuning.com/contact/

EFI Logics in CT, http://www.efilogics.com/

• 2 weeks later...

heres a recent lv WITH a OEM AIR FILTER same crap tonight was pretty cool out like 8C still knock and odd trims IMO when I was idling for 5ish mins steady went from a negative idle trim to a positive.

I think its time for another pressure test and/or could there be a exhaust leak??

Running a stage 1 OTS infamous tune FYI

797388070_LearningView_SS_A2UI001C_2012-09-19014024.jpg.31601aff876242d326f6985588ccb29f.jpg

Hi, hopefully you folks will help to clear some things up. My best friend owns an 05 legacy GT..I've been trying to guide him in the best ways to peruse building his car, as of now exhaust and soon to be downpipe and tune. HOWEVER, I suggested he go with a larger and front mount intercooler, for a few instant horsepower and to Improve turbo cooling before further tuning. Now he is convinced that both a front mount and larger intercooler do NOT ADD any horsepower at all unless tuned, his words "the engines only programmed to put out so much horsepower an intercooler won't do anything"...now lucky me I understand the basics of an engine and know that colder air (caused by large front mount inner cooler) means denser air, more dense air means more combustion, this means more horsepower...I think a front mount conversion would add 30 possibly 35 horsepower even without a tune. Does anyone PLEASE have any input on this?

IMO, 30-35 is way optimistic. Even at stage 3 my main motivation for a TMIC upgrade was reliability. There are people making big power on the stock TMIC. I'd say 5 hp would be realistic without a tune.

UP, DP & a tune. Basic stage 2 is the proven bang-for-the-buck formula.

you are wrong on your estimates and you neglect to take into account the efficiency issue of front mounts increased pipe length/diameter in some cases.

While in theory a denser air source would allow more HP without a tune you would not be getting the other much needed source for combustion which is fuel. Have to much or to little of that and you got yourself a dense air filled motor grenade.

If he never plans to change the turbo on the car then he will never need anything more than the top mount. Your friend really needs to decide on his end goal for power and then plan the mod's accordingly to meet that end goal.

Hi, hopefully you folks will help to clear some things up. My best friend owns an 05 legacy GT..I've been trying to guide him in the best ways to peruse building his car, as of now exhaust and soon to be downpipe and tune. HOWEVER, I suggested he go with a larger and front mount intercooler, for a few instant horsepower and to Improve turbo cooling before further tuning. Now he is convinced that both a front mount and larger intercooler do NOT ADD any horsepower at all unless tuned, his words "the engines only programmed to put out so much horsepower an intercooler won't do anything"...now lucky me I understand the basics of an engine and know that colder air (caused by large front mount inner cooler) means denser air, more dense air means more combustion, this means more horsepower...I think a front mount conversion would add 30 possibly 35 horsepower even without a tune. Does anyone PLEASE have any input on this?

I make FMIC and TMIC and that is not true. You have to tune to get more power out of a FMIC and TMIC. You will reduce heat soak without a tune but, you need a tune to take advantage of the performance gains of FMIC and upgraded TMIC. You may even lose a bit of power without a tune. I can post a customer's dyno to show you if like. Bryan

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I make FMIC and TMIC and that is not true. You have to tune to get more power out of a FMIC and TMIC. You will reduce heat soak without a tune but, you need a tune to take advantage of the performance gains of FMIC and upgraded TMIC. You may even lose a bit of power without a tune. I can post a customer's dyno to show you if like. Bryan

:cool:

Wow you are spot on, makes feel good that you did actually listen to me at times....:lol:

Bryan:wub:

My roadtuner who tunes i think a few hundred subies a year wants to charge me 75 dollars for a 2 step launch control ON TOP of his hourly rate of 80 dollars an hour for revisions which imo should be free for the first couple especially considering that tuning isnt his profession. His reasoning is that the patch costs money but tuning that many cars he had to have purchased the patch for someone else already right? Or do you get one use out of each patch?

Archived