LegacyGT.com

The Official Tuning Thread

Infamous1

My roadtuner who tunes i think a few hundred subies a year wants to charge me 75 dollars for a 2 step launch control ON TOP of his hourly rate of 80 dollars an hour for revisions which imo should be free for the first couple especially considering that tuning isnt his profession. His reasoning is that the patch costs money but tuning that many cars he had to have purchased the patch for someone else already right? Or do you get one use out of each patch?

Each unique ROM needs it's own patch, so for example a patch for '06 will not work on an '07. Of course you can use the same patch on multiple cars with the same ROM, but whether or not it's ethical to do that is rather like asking if you should share music or commercial software. The guy who writes the patches is not a wealthy singer or a Microsoft btw.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can run all the boost you want that your turbo can support. The TMIC should be able to handle upwards of 20, but unless you're running more than 20, you won't really need an upgraded BPV. Depending on how you use your car, you may end up wanting to run 17-19 psi.

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased my 05 LGT last Friday and driving around, I found a few things.

Is it it normal that on (it's a 5EAT) drive, at around 800rpm or so, it doesn't really have an idle speed?

Aside from that, I'd like to do a new K&N Air filter, and a Cobb short ram intake....estimated...15hp gain? or so?

Too unrealistic?

Way too unrealistic and you will need a tune with an intake. At higher stages an intake is needed but the stock one is efficient enough for stage 2. And its one or the other haha the short ram would replace the entire stock airbox. The k&n replaces the filter inside the airbox.

It's mostly due to the fact that I am on a budget right now being a part time mechanic at a cycling shop, and a full time student in an Aviation Mechanic program. Shit ain't cheap these days. I was shopping for exhausts as well, and for the same/similar sound quality, a Magnaflow, despite it's name sounds pretty good. Not sure of any gains of going to that..probably 5hp or so...but for the deep rich tone it delivers, I'll buy it later. So, we concluded on leaving the stock filter, and a CBE later on...?

CBE also does little but make noise at <350whp. Bang for buck in power mods:

Ditch catted up-pipe and Stg1 tune

Downpipe and Stg2 tune, beef up your stock intercooler with hardware from Home Depot

(a lot of separation in value-for-money points)

Upgrade intercooler

Modest turbo upgrade with stock fueling

Modest turbo upgrade with aftermarket fueling

CBE

Get the picture now?

If only someone would make a thread where the list of required supporting mods for each power level were available... ;)

BTW, this is the tuning sub-forum banner thread, where we discuss changes to the ECU to make more power on stock parts, or changes to make safe power with upgraded parts. I think you're talking about small, barely significant hardware changes in isolation, meaning you'd be better off asking this someplace else. Searching and reading would probably remove the need even for that.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

JMHO, but a CBE exhaust is a waste of time and money because you'll likely replace it within a year and it's value will be nearly zero. Save up for a TBE and a tune. HUGE difference.

You know a CBE is part of a TBE, right? And a downpipe + CBE = TBE? And used CBEs hardly have a value near zero. Lots of people start with a CBE and then buy a downpipe later on down the road.

Yeah thats wrong almost any part you resell will likely bring back 75% of your money depending of course on miles used, age, condition. Cbe is not a waste of money it adds performance though it isnt much and adds a rumble that makes the car 10 times better. But again, not a priority at all.

• I Donated Too
JMHO, but a CBE exhaust is a waste of time and money because you'll likely replace it within a year and it's value will be nearly zero. Save up for a TBE and a tune. HUGE difference.

http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/confused/grand/lion-king-confused-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-328.gif

a CBE will give you a little bit of HP ~1-3hp un-tuned.

There isn't a dyno made that will reliably measure to within 1%. 3hp is inside the range of noise, and the same car with the same mods will show numbers that vary more than that in back to back runs.

My car is a 05 5EAT and when I was stage 1 I had just the Megan Racing CBE and a TDC protune and my car put down 230hp 240tq compared to it at stock 190hp 195tq.

Those are really common numbers from stg1 mapping with zero hardware mods. I wouldn't credit the exhaust with even 1hp of that gain. It's all in the tune.

I'm not saying that the CBE gave me the 230hp I'm just saying it is an increase as it has an increased flow rate that is allowed due to having a bigger diameter piping setup and increased flow through aftermarket muffler system.

The Dyno that has been done on a CBE is the Megan Racing exhaust and it is up in the GB thread for that exhaust.

I'm not saying that the CBE gave me the 230hp I'm just saying it is an increase as it has an increased flow rate that is allowed due to having a bigger diameter piping setup and increased flow through aftermarket muffler system.

The Dyno that has been done on a CBE is the Megan Racing exhaust and it is up in the GB thread for that exhaust.

I've tuned over 40 '10~ LGTs (and probably as many FXTs) to stage 1. Some had CBEs and some were stock. I have not seen any evidence that the CBE got the owner even one gram/sec of air flow or 1whp or 1ftlb of torque vs. the stock system. Your butt dyno needs calibration and disconnecting from the audio input.

OTOH adding a cat pipe, even with the stock CBE, adds solid gains in the midrange. Way better value for money and no unnecessary noise.

Archived