LegacyGT.com

The Official Tuning Thread

Infamous1

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Mega Users
a CBE will give you a little bit of HP ~1-3hp un-tuned.

My car is a 05 5EAT and when I was stage 1 I had just the Megan Racing CBE and a TDC protune and my car put down 230hp 240tq compared to it at stock 190hp 195tq.

Well my car put down 180hp 195tq stock. Same day after tuning for stg 1, 220hp 225tq. Stock exhaust...

You're saying that opening up an insignificant restriction behind a hugely restrictive downpipe is making 1-5hp? That's ridiculous.

You know a CBE is part of a TBE, right? And a downpipe + CBE = TBE? And used CBEs hardly have a value near zero. Lots of people start with a CBE and then buy a downpipe later on down the road.

Yeah thats wrong almost any part you resell will likely bring back 75% of your money depending of course on miles used, age, condition. Cbe is not a waste of money it adds performance though it isnt much and adds a rumble that makes the car 10 times better. But again, not a priority at all.

Yeah seriously what the HELL are you talking about

I see the slow-ass haters are out. And you don't know shyt about cars.

THIS:

I've tuned over 40 '10~ LGTs (and probably as many FXTs) to stage 1. Some had CBEs and some were stock. I have not seen any evidence that the CBE got the owner even one gram/sec of air flow or 1whp or 1ftlb of torque vs. the stock system. Your butt dyno needs calibration and disconnecting from the audio input.

OTOH adding a cat pipe, even with the stock CBE, adds solid gains in the midrange. Way better value for money and no unnecessary noise.

<- Can't tell if BTB is agreeing with my position or calling me an idiot. :confused:
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

blackturboblack, can you explain what CBE and TBE stand for? Once you do that, explain how I'm wrong.

Cat Back Exhaust leaves the stock cat in place strangles your exhaust flow. Turbo Back Exhaust replaces the stock cat with a hi flow cat. Let's your car breath.

And dispute what i said as well douchebag.

You're just mad cause you're in utah. You need help starting your POS.

<- Can't tell if BTB is agreeing with my position or calling me an idiot. :confused:

Agreeing with you.

So tell me how I'm wrong and how a CBE has a value near zero when it's used. GO check the classifieds section.

Also, it isn't really the cat replacement that let's the car breath, it's the removal of the plate that covers the wastegate and the bigger diameter piping after the turbo that makes the biggest difference. That's why cars with a shorty DP can be at stage 2.

So tell me how I'm wrong and how a CBE has a value near zero when it's used. GO check the classifieds section.

Exaaactly what i said as well as the little performance gain cbe gives. Zero value is just wrong and simply a stupid ass thing to say. Youre just mad cause like 4 people just proved you wrong.

utwrestler, fahr side says he hasn't seen any gains from just a catback. i regard his input a lot higher than most people's here and what he says is also in line with a lot of what other people here say that have the experience to back it.

btb, you said this:

JMHO, but a CBE exhaust is a waste of time and money because you'll likely replace it within a year and it's value will be nearly zero. Save up for a TBE and a tune. HUGE difference.

a TBE is inclusive of a CBE. the problem with what you said is that you told people to save up for a TBE in your second sentence, but in your first sentence you said that a CBE is a waste. i think maybe you meant to just save up for a downpipe, right?

also, your use of the word "value" is a bit ambigious. do you mean performance value or $$ value? i'm assuming you meant performance, in which case you'd be right. little or no value. if you meant $$, you'd be wrong because people do resell their CBEs for a decent return on their original cost.

Was that directed at everyone? Seems a little extreme to close a thread because two guys spend 2-3 posts with weak personal attacks. I believe you have power to send out warnings/delete posts which would seem more appropriate.

Seems a little extreme to close a sticky thread with 15 pages of useful info because two guys spend 2-3 posts with weak personal attacks.

Fixed. ;)

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

When I put a Megan CBE on my LGT's Cobb DP I did so as part of preparations for a turbo upgrade. My LGT was on meth and tuned to the limit so while I didn't expect the Megan to provide a lot of power, I expected something. Never saw an ounce of gain despite countless logs.

Kind of frustrating, and counter intuitive.

My STi came with the SPT exhaust, and I think it is the perfect exhaust for my car. The SPT on my 11 WRX started to become annoying after a couple months and I'd have gladly traded it for OEM. But it was a hatch as opposed to my 4dr STi, and the exhausts are completely different except for the name. On the STi there is no drone, and the exhaust, while perhaps again being no power adder at my whp, is the perfect exhaust for this car IMO. It is in context.

A CBE's value, therefore, is relative, and not referenced to horsepower alone. In fact, I'd say the vast majority of people who install a CBE do so for other reasons than horsepower, while hoping it's worth a little. Guilty. :) For sure it isn't holding me back... the catted DP takes care of that, but I'm good with that, too.

Well depending on the power you're putting out, different things become limiting factors. For a stock LGT, it's the DP. If you have a bigger turbo, a stock CBE could be the limiting factor. This probably won't be the case until you're around 300whp.

Was that directed at everyone? Seems a little extreme to close a thread because two guys spend 2-3 posts with weak personal attacks. I believe you have power to send out warnings/delete posts which would seem more appropriate.

I did not say that I would be closing the thread. I said that you all need to stop attacking one another and keep it on topic without the personal insults to other members.

LGT is a community dedicated to sharing information and knowledge on the vehicle that we all love to own and drive. We do not condone our members personally insulting and attacking one another. It is one thing to say "you do not know what you are talking about" but a completely other thing to include insults and derogatory language in a verbal assault to another member. If you want to say something contrary to the topic of a thread to a member then you need to take it to PM's and keep it out of the thread's.

Please take some time if you do not understand the rules to overview them

http://legacygt.com/index.php?page=faq&

Well depending on the power you're putting out, different things become limiting factors. For a stock LGT, it's the DP. If you have a bigger turbo, a stock CBE could be the limiting factor. This probably won't be the case until you're around 300whp.

VD indicates between 315 and 330, depending. Runs good... I left a 10 Camaro SS from a roll and was still walking away at 130 (short trip to Mexico :icon_wink), so the catted Cobb DP is ok for now. Circumstances in the marketplace give little choice... catted with a neckdown, or catless without. Don't want catless again so I live with it as-is.

Had a tuning friend who had same car but hatch, same setup, but OEM CBE, and he was always just short of my "numbers." Maybe it does make a difference. But that difference, if it exists at this level, cannot be much.

That said, as far as I know, there's no tuning involved with any CBE. You either get more or you don't. Not a subject for this thread.

The hard part about wearing the mod hat is never letting the general membership even get the first sniff of you using your status to steer, defend or heaven forbid win an argument.

Archived