LegacyGT.com

2.5GT Turbo Oil Supply Banjo Bolt Filter Removal

Just an FYI... The newer cars did get a recall notice on these filters and mine had been brought in at 67k for the recall and to this day at 93k when I checked it the filter was still there, so I would as others have, Not recommend removing the filter because it is there for a reason. Just be conscious of its existence and keep it clean. I will be doing the AVCS one when I do my timing belt so I'll be curious to see how dirty that one is.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the bajno on the turbo yes but its the one that's bolted to the block that has the filter on in it.

This is the best picture to illustrate where this is on the Pre 2007 Engines. Almost exactly the same location as the drivers side one that sits right behind the timing belt housing, but its just on the back of the motor, wedged between the turbo and the engine.

http://www.bescaredracing.com/sti/turbo/oil_feed/DSC08093.JPG

Its down there... keep digging. ;)

If you can see the line that leaves the turbo, follow that to the connection that's at the top of the line pictured above, then see which direction it goes after that connection point, for the 05 its most likely directly down, mine went down then toward the middle of the motor then a hard right and stopped right under the turbo inlet.

That's not my pic, but its just to the side of the turbo, further passenger side, it's the line you are showing in your picture. Follow it off the turbo, and it goes right to that connection, then should go straight down to the banjo.

ah so just follow that line that i showed on top of the turbo and it will be at the end of that rainbow hahah

i did my up and down install i should of done it then but i wasnt thinking

Exactly... lol

Yeah I'm not sure how much more accessible it is when doing the up pipe install... I cant imagine the down pipe removal makes it any easier to get to.

Good luck! I actually like where they put it in 07 since yeah the turbo inlet is a bit of a pain to get out, but once removed you have tons of room to get at the bolt.

Awesome ill check it out later, I feel like a idiot not being able to find this thing lol I'd understand if I didn't know anything but I'm pretty mechanically inclinded, so I figured it would be cake

So can you no longer access the bolt on 07+ without removing the inlet?

Most likely not... its directly under it... look at my picture. It's impossible to get at from the top and the inlet is in the way going from the front, so it needs to be removed to gain access.

Really the hardest thing to get off the inlet is the PCV tube and the BPV hose... Really its harder to get the PCV back on with that damn clamp, so I suggest replacing it with a standard worm clamp after removal.

removed the banjo today, took about 40 minutes, not that hard i needed pb blaster on the banjo though it wouldnt budge, 10 minutes after pb blaster and it came off with ease..

quick question.. the bracket you have to take off to get to the banjo what is that for? the turbo heat shield? the bolt that is on the right side(away from the turbo) seized up on me about half way though putting it back in

im having trouble finding it,

is it right on top of the turbo in this pic?

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv352/tjbev021/IMG00115-20100518-0953.jpg

So this banjo bolt here does not have a filter in it? In other words, this is not the banjo bolt that we are supposed to replace on 07+ LGTs?

How did you manage to remove the filter inside the banjo bolt?

There is a tab on the base of the filter that I used to twist it inside the banjo bolt till one of the plastic sides were visible through the banjo bolt hole, I then gently grabbed that with a set of needle nose pliers and tried to move it in a downward motion that would push the filter out. I was able to get the filter out without damaging it. Cleaned it, blew it out and put it back in.

So this banjo bolt here does not have a filter in it? In other words, this is not the banjo bolt that we are supposed to replace on 07+ LGTs?

And no that is not the right bolt, as pointed out in posts following it, the 07+ filter is in the bolt directly under the turbo inlet under your intake. There are pics of my motor with the inlet out and the bolt visible.

There is a tab on the base of the filter that I used to twist it inside the banjo bolt till one of the plastic sides were visible through the banjo bolt hole, I then gently grabbed that with a set of needle nose pliers and tried to move it in a downward motion that would push the filter out. I was able to get the filter out without damaging it. Cleaned it, blew it out and put it back in.

And no that is not the right bolt, as pointed out in posts following it, the 07+ filter is in the bolt directly under the turbo inlet under your intake. There are pics of my motor with the inlet out and the bolt visible.

http://eden.rutgers.edu/~kevinkuo/100_0240.JPG

I think i'm getting closer to the area you're referring to. It seems like a PITA to get to that banjo bolt.

You are on the right track and yes it is a pain to get to, if you look from the passenger side you can actually see it under the inlet... I followed the line on the top of the turbo down to it to find it.

I'm going to be replacing my inlet tube soon so I will take pics on how to remove that when I do it which in turn gains you 100% access to the bolt.

You are on the right track and yes it is a pain to get to, if you look from the passenger side you can actually see it under the inlet... I followed the line on the top of the turbo down to it to find it.

I'm going to be replacing my inlet tube soon so I will take pics on how to remove that when I do it which in turn gains you 100% access to the bolt.

So here are pictures of the area:

http://eden.rutgers.edu/~kevinkuo/100_0243.JPG

http://eden.rutgers.edu/~kevinkuo/100_0244.JPG

Circled red areas are things that need to be removed in order to reach the banjo bolt (I think). Hopefully I'm not missing anything.

http://eden.rutgers.edu/~kevinkuo/100_0245.JPG

Is there any special procedure to dealing with these or do you just try to pull them off and reattach them at the end of the process.

Don't forget the PCV connection and the BOV return line under the intake manifold. See attached pdf.

-Rick

Wow. It's truly a hassle. It seems almost impossible to get it off without removing the intake manifold for 07+ years?

Just seems like I may not be able to get to the connections circled in red until the intake manifold is removed.

Screenshot.png.4a5b2ebaa02da5cc86bb08949e73b03c.png

Archived