LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

20 minutes ago, xt2005bonbon said:

Man, our wagon looks so small now when parked next to the newest STIs/WRX, crosstrek or outbacks.

+1 !

I love how my mid-size wagon is now outsized by what are ostensibly 'compact' cars.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, BoozeRS05 said:

I took my wagon to a car show last weekend and was also overwhelmed by the amount of shenanigans. It was pretty embarrassing, although not an overwhelmingly Subaru crowd, but just obnoxious behavior. I left before the police asked everyone to vacate.

I try to act close to my age but I frequently fail. But when leaving a car show I always behave for at least a 1/4 mile as there is always LEO laying in wait. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, xt2005bonbon said:

Our wagon gen does look small, but we still have more cargo volume in the trunk than the latest crosstrek. :spin:

Well, they just look better and that counts for something.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, xt2005bonbon said:

Man, our wagon looks so small now when parked next to the newest STIs/WRX, crosstrek or outbacks.

Short n thick will do the trick, but long n lean will make em scream. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, SoobyDoobyDoo said:

Curious to see how this one plays out considering it came from JPN auctions. I see now what the deal is with those…looks like you can rebuild it which is nice but the voltage regulator seems like it’s more than the whole damn thing…Denso is the oem manufacturer isn’t it? 

Funny story about the car meet I went to. It was 95% wrx’s and STi’s….all I’ll say is, as soon as I opened the door I was greeted by a cloud of vape smoke. I knew then I was very out of place…🤣🤣🤣 Still had a good time there were some cool cars. Def a very different crowd though.

My boys went to a few of those and when I asked if I could join they told me pretty much the same thing - "You will not like the crowds".

Instead we went to a meet at a new shop that the owner is positioning more towards higher end German cars. Nicer and much more disciplined people, with lots of young drivers as well.

• Like 3

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

3 hours ago, Kojak said:

Parked next to this STI a few times on a milkrun. Finally caught the owner walking up and said ‘Gorgeous ride’. Flat response.  Idek if he realized I was in a Subie. Kids these days. Legacy’s are a sign of maturity. 

IMG_0122.jpeg

Oh! You did not back into the parking spot in the traditional Japanese way, maybe that is why you were snubbed. I mean besides you car is waaaaaaay cooler, classic, and rare. His is a dime a dozen and ugly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, 310Z said:

Oh! You did not back into the parking spot in the traditional Japanese way, maybe that is why you were snubbed. I mean besides you car is waaaaaaay cooler, classic, and rare. His is a dime a dozen and ugly.

Facts!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bobsyouruncl said:

T'd my fuel pressure regulator into the BPV line. 

Had a stumble since I owned the car. It's gone now. Much improved! 

PXL_20240321_161508053.jpg

PXL_20240321_161510283.jpg

Very cleanly done!

Just an update.  It's been just over 8 months since my short block replacement in the spec.B.  Oil and coolant remain in their respective confined areas, and no fluid losses. the learning view continues to be stellar--IAM = 1.0, absolutely no knock detected, and only minor temporary fuel corrections.  The more I drive it the more I get attached to it.

Looking at replacing the trans fluid eventually, and I know brakes are coming due.  Still have yet to see another B in my area (Tacoma/Puyallup WA), but most Subaru guys I know respond with, "spec what??".  haha.

• Like 6

On 3/14/2024 at 9:03 AM, SubOperator said:

Glad wife made it to parking safe. Exact same thing happened to my middle son's 2010 Outback. I was able to talk SOA into covering $500 towards all brake lines swap as a good will gesture, the car was long out of warranty.

Do you mind sharing how much did it cost you to get all brake lines, fuel tank and filler neck replaced? I have to do the same thing as my tank got smelly. Did the garage put OEM parts on it?

My local dealer is not feeling hot about doing the job for some reason.

Sorry for the delay in reply, been really busy at work.  

So I had the rear brake line replaced, the "junction" box, a portion of the front brake line repaired, new fuel tank, filler tube and sending unit replaced.  Sending unit was aftermarket - about $600 Cdn instead over $1000 for OEM.  Associated gaskets/fluids etc.  

After taxes and all, just over $4500 Cdn.  A fair bit of labour involved, dropping the subframe and fuel tank stuff with it.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Bobsyouruncl said:

PXL_20240321_161508053.jpg

PXL_20240321_161510283.jpg

Yeah I did the same thing last year.  Got a good bump in vacuum but stumble still there.  Gotta look somewhere else.  I'm fairly certain it is FPR related now.

On 3/22/2024 at 6:00 AM, SilentJ20 said:

Just an update.  It's been just over 8 months since my short block replacement in the spec.B.  Oil and coolant remain in their respective confined areas, and no fluid losses. the learning view continues to be stellar--IAM = 1.0, absolutely no knock detected, and only minor temporary fuel corrections.  The more I drive it the more I get attached to it.

Looking at replacing the trans fluid eventually, and I know brakes are coming due.  Still have yet to see another B in my area (Tacoma/Puyallup WA), but most Subaru guys I know respond with, "spec what??".  haha.

I knew you were close, but I didn't know you were that close. Puyallup here too. And now that you mention it, I KNOW I've seen you on 512, bc I've only ever seen one Spec B in the area.

Is your either Spec B DGM or BSM?

MILKRUN  - Click Here

21 hours ago, Febreze Mee said:

I knew you were close, but I didn't know you were that close. Puyallup here too. And now that you mention it, I KNOW I've seen you on 512, bc I've only ever seen one Spec B in the area.

Is your either Spec B DGM or BSM?

I don't get on 512 often, but it sure could have been me.  My car is debadged except for the "spec.B" (previous owner).  Other than that and bigger pipes it's pretty much stock on the outside.

Edited by SilentJ20
  • Thanks 1

On 3/21/2024 at 4:38 PM, Bobsyouruncl said:

Does anyone know the official hose size for the fpr reference line? I put on 5/32 vacuum hose because my OE one is old and the ends are hard. The ID on the OE looks bigger than 5/32 but I couldn't find anything bigger that seemed to fit snug enough over 5/32 at the local store. 

I'm wondering if it might be better to have a larger ID to give it a more clear signal and if there are any concerns over it collapsing under high vacuum. 

1 hour ago, Bobsyouruncl said:

Does anyone know the official hose size for the fpr reference line? I put on 5/32 vacuum hose because my OE one is old and the ends are hard. The ID on the OE looks bigger than 5/32 but I couldn't find anything bigger that seemed to fit snug enough over 5/32 at the local store. 

I'm wondering if it might be better to have a larger ID to give it a more clear signal and if there are any concerns over it collapsing under high vacuum. 

Pretty sure I used 4mm reinforced silicon hose for the FPR reference. Also did the STi FPR at the same time.

Fit up perfectly, and has been good for at least a year with no notable problems. I used that, and some 6mm in a few other places, which replaced *most* of the vacuum lines. I will do all the rest now that I have the engine apart, and the IM off.

I highly doubt your engine is ever making enough vacuum to collapse a vacuum hose, as long as it is even decent quality. -10 psi isn't much.

As long as you are using something rated for a bar or so of vacuum you aren't going to see issues with vacuum lines collapsing unless you are drawing vacuum from the inlet pipe no matter how much boost you are making. manifold only goes into vacuum when off throttle. And on the opposite side, under pressure even amazon sourced silicone vacuum lines hold up at least to 28ish lbs of boost.

On 3/22/2024 at 3:21 PM, socalsleeper said:

Do you have the crossover style dampers or the updated version without the bleed line?

I have whatever came on the 2005 MY GT.  Assuming this question was for me.  :)  

On 3/24/2024 at 3:41 PM, KZJonny said:

Pretty sure I used 4mm reinforced silicon hose for the FPR reference. Also did the STi FPR at the same time.

Fit up perfectly, and has been good for at least a year with no notable problems. I used that, and some 6mm in a few other places, which replaced *most* of the vacuum lines. I will do all the rest now that I have the engine apart, and the IM off.

I highly doubt your engine is ever making enough vacuum to collapse a vacuum hose, as long as it is even decent quality. -10 psi isn't much.

Just for reference, first time I had it tuned, I was at -12.  Second time it read -14.  Pretty damn strong.

1 hour ago, GearJamr said:

Just for reference, first time I had it tuned, I was at -12.  Second time it read -14.  Pretty damn strong.

I used to think the same. More vacuum = more good.

But I got schooled by others here. Vacuum at idle for our cars should be around -10psi relative to atmosphere. Maybe a touch more or less (-11/-9) if everything is locked down super tight. More than that and you’ve probably got a restriction, dirty air filter, whatever.

The entire intake system is designed to be smooth flowing. Eg: low restriction and hence low vacuum pressure at the manifold. (relative to cam profile, engine config, etc…)

All that to say, more isn’t always better.

Edited by KZJonny
  • Thanks 1