LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

After 3 or 4 months of driving a tin can I finally got sick of it and stayed up until 1 on a work night finishing the interior. More damplifier pro and luxury liner pro was placed wherever I could fit it and all I can say is holy crap I didn't think the car could be this quiet. I can't wait to do the doors as I'm now distinctly aware of the noise coming through them.

I'll also use this as an opportunity to introduce my carputer. I've wanted to do this since I first bought the car, but in 2014 the technology didn't exist to do it well. Now it does!

I had tossed around the idea of relocating the clock to the ash tray but I use mine as a coin holder so I decided to find a way to make it work. I found a GPS in an 06 Outback 3.0R at my local pick N pull, gutted it, reassembled the housing, and then trimmed it to fit inside the dash and around the cubby. Then I cut a small piece of ABS plastic to act as a backplate and permanently attached a wall mount for a tablet to it. It's not pretty, but once you block it with the tablet you can't see my handiwork with the dremel.

I removed the cubby and ran screws in to the vents to reattach them to the cubby housing. It was tough to get everything back in there but I was able to make it fit. Unfortunately I cracked the cubby housing so the next time it comes out will likely be in pieces.

The tablet is just a basic Lenovo M9. I turn on my phone's hotspot and use it for Waze and Google maps. It charges via the USB port on the back of my head unit.

Some might find it obnoxious but I like having the dedicated Waze machine. My phone usually stays in my pocket which removes the distraction.

20240310_000742.jpg

20240310_000733.jpg

20231226_161619.jpg

20231215_232714.jpg

• Like 7

7 hours ago, SubOperator said:

Glad wife made it to parking safe. Exact same thing happened to my middle son's 2010 Outback. I was able to talk SOA into covering $500 towards all brake lines swap as a good will gesture, the car was long out of warranty.

Do you mind sharing how much did it cost you to get all brake lines, fuel tank and filler neck replaced? I have to do the same thing as my tank got smelly. Did the garage put OEM parts on it?

My local dealer is not feeling hot about doing the job for some reason.

So I had the same issue a couple of years ago, took it to the dealer near me and I think the quote was like $5k for just the brake lines. The reasoning was it was pretty labor intensive and I do not disagree with them. Subaru ran the brake lines through the interior of the car so to replace it, you have to remove the rear seats, carpet, and drop the gas tank also I believe.

There is a post by another member here in the forum where they went the alternate route and spliced in a new line by just buying brake lines and additional tools from Amazon. I took that route, called up my boy who I worked with at Toyota and we tackled it. I am a bit rusty in flaring brake lines so his help was great.

I will see if I can find the post on the brake line repair for ya.

**Edit**
Found the post by @covertrussian who detailed their brake line fix and I mostly followed it..I say mostly cuz I missed one of the pics and had a longer brake line from the inside to the wheel. which led to more work on my end but this has held solid for 3 yrs so far

• Thanks 2

Awesome, thank you @Dre617! I agree with your conclusion about dealer's concern for the labor charges. I may end up doing the work myself unless I find a shop willing to be reasonable. Reading through others' experience should help with the plan.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Yeah, no problem. The DIY options aren't as bad, just a bit more time-consuming. If I had time and space, I would have run it outside instead of through the interior and a single longer piece instead of multiple connection points.

1 hour ago, SubOperator said:

Awesome, thank you @Dre617! I agree with your conclusion about dealer's concern for the labor charges. I may end up doing the work myself unless I find a shop willing to be reasonable. Reading through others' experience should help with the plan.

I did the same for the OBW. Didn’t bother to follow the ‘over the tank’ route. Just used CuPro lines (Nicop? Whatever brand…) and followed the rear subframe across the car. Couple zip ties and p-clamps make sure nothing can move anywhere. Only took a couple hours….

I made sure to keep them off the ‘bottom’ of anything, so going over a curb or in a field they shouldn’t be able to get hit. Or, at least if they did, I went over something so gnarly that I’d probably have bigger problems by that point. 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I tore most of my engine apart.

Therefore; asking the question here:

Anybody have part number(s) for OE side feed injector o-rings? Not the seals between the rail and TGVs, but the actual top and bottom o-rings that go on the injectors themselves.

I looked through the vacation pix, and didn't see anything. Parts guy at my local Subaru dealership also came up with a goose egg.

Failing OE parts, then a trusted supplier, or maybe measurements of the original o-rings before they spent 20 years compressed into a snug fitting holder?

Subaru fixed my brake line rupture a couple years ago. They footed the bill, and there was a pretty substantial amount of work, but unfortunately I can’t remember exactly what and the cost.

Same situation though, was about a mile from home and coming to a stop when the pedal went completely soft. I had enough pressure to stop, but I quickly peered under the car and saw fluid pouring from in front of the rear wheel. Limped it home and then another mile and a half to the dealership. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, xt2005bonbon said:

I got mine from https://deatschwerks.com/ directly. Pretty inexpensive.

should be these: https://deatschwerks.com/collections/injectors/products/2-002-4

Double check with them before buying.

That's what I came up with as well upon searching more. Bummer I'll have to get them shipped in from the US. Seems a little unlikely that as small as Canadia is, that there wouldn't be some way to replaced 'frikkin injector o-rings, which are 'single use...' 

Everything has to be the hard way huh?

EDIT: $35 USD for International shipping. I think I am going to have to find some other way.

Edited by KZJonny

2 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

That's what I came up with as well upon searching more. Bummer I'll have to get them shipped in from the US. Seems a little unlikely that as small as Canadia is, that there wouldn't be some way to replaced 'frikkin injector o-rings, which are 'single use...' 

Everything has to be the hard way huh?

EDIT: $35 USD for International shipping. I think I am going to have to find some other way.

Hey bud, 

I have a US PO box just over the boarder in Buffalo NY, if you want you can ship them there and either pick them up or I can grab them and drop them off in a few weeks when I make a trip up there.

• Thanks 1

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

22 minutes ago, xt2005bonbon said:

35$ is a lot for a tiny package!

They want $15 USD for shipping INSIDE the states. This is ri-goddamn-diculous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KZJonny said:

I tore most of my engine apart.

Therefore; asking the question here:

Anybody have part number(s) for OE side feed injector o-rings? Not the seals between the rail and TGVs, but the actual top and bottom o-rings that go on the injectors themselves.

I looked through the vacation pix, and didn't see anything. Parts guy at my local Subaru dealership also came up with a goose egg.

Failing OE parts, then a trusted supplier, or maybe measurements of the original o-rings before they spent 20 years compressed into a snug fitting holder?

I'm fairly certain this is what I picked up from McMaster-Carr for side feed o-rings a few years ago.

Line   Product Ordered Shipped Balance Price Total
1 9263K124 Chemical-Resistant Viton Fluoroelastomer O-Ring, 2.5 mm Wide, 8 mm ID, Packs of 10 1
Pack
1 0 7.16
Per Pack
2 9263K776 Chemical-Resistant Viton Fluoroelastomer O-Ring, 3.5 mm Wide, 20 mm ID, Packs of 10 1
Pack
1 0 11.62
Per Pack

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Infosecdad said:

I'm fairly certain this is what I picked up from McMaster-Carr for side feed o-rings a few years ago.

Line   Product Ordered Shipped Balance Price Total
1 9263K124 Chemical-Resistant Viton Fluoroelastomer O-Ring, 2.5 mm Wide, 8 mm ID, Packs of 10 1
Pack
1 0 7.16
Per Pack
2 9263K776 Chemical-Resistant Viton Fluoroelastomer O-Ring, 3.5 mm Wide, 20 mm ID, Packs of 10 1
Pack
1 0 11.62
Per Pack

Hm. I found some at a local speed shop, for a reasonable price, but I’ll get some of those from MMC next time I place an order.

Thanks very much. This might be worth posting up in the ‘parts numbers, etc….’ Thread. I couldn’t fins the data anywhere. Presumably, there used to be a part number, but I could not find it.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

Hm. I found some at a local speed shop, for a reasonable price, but I’ll get some of those from MMC next time I place an order.

Thanks very much. This might be worth posting up in the ‘parts numbers, etc….’ Thread. I couldn’t fins the data anywhere. Presumably, there used to be a part number, but I could not find it.

I think the ones for the injector are these:

16698AA050

16698AA060

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Installed an IAG windage tray + pickup I grabbed on black Friday. Fits up nice.

No sign of cracking on the original, but I’ll at least not worry about it any more… The tig work on this one is lovely.

image.thumb.jpg.efc034809d96efeeb16ed7ada5f50a5c.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.db314012a648f2b1509137622c44bca4.jpg

• Like 6

She's down on the chassis dolly I built, since there is no suspension left.

IMG_20240316_163728271_HDR_AE.thumb.jpg.d4e1768b7879c6d6ce1fe52e0a16eca8.jpg

Just need to pull the engine and tranny and then she's about due to get hauled out, so if you need something let me know.

IMG_20240316_163755697_HDR_AE.thumb.jpg.8aac6c8d28714f5e38923ecae3ee478e.jpg

• Sad 5

@KZJonny what oil pan are you using? Thought about this one as well as opposed to the killer b….mines just a stock daily. 

ugh all this talk about brake line failure…not something I want to think about. I need to read through covert Russians thread again. I still stand by what I said…I’d rather fix up an older vehicle than go new. 

Did a quick detail on mine tonight for a meet up at the local dealership next week. Not what I consider 100% by any means, but still cleaned up pretty nicely for a stock daily with two kids. I didn’t bother with before pics…I’d rather hide my shame🤣 Still nice to know the car cleans up so nicely after all these years. I had to credit this to the PO, I’m fairly certain it was garaged and driven on nice Sundays. Really appreciate the fact it was so well loved. I’m trying to maintain that but can’t quite do it at the same level they did, but I do condition the interior fairly regularly during warm months….IMG_2310.thumb.jpeg.17bcd4c2610ba7938475447ddd2acc25.jpeg

IMG_2311.jpeg

IMG_2309.jpeg

• Like 7

1 minute ago, SoobyDoobyDoo said:

@KZJonny what oil pan are you using? Thought about this one as well as opposed to the killer b….mines just a stock daily. 

ugh all this talk about brake line failure…not something I want to think about. I need to read through covert Russians thread again. I still stand by what I said…I’d rather fix up an older vehicle than go new. 

Did a quick detail on mine tonight for a meet up at the local dealership next week. Not what I consider 100% by any means, but still cleaned up pretty nicely for a stock daily with two kids. I didn’t bother with before pics…I’d rather hide my shame🤣 Still nice to know the car cleans up so nicely after all these years. I had to credit this to the PO, I’m fairly certain it was garaged and driven on nice Sundays. Really appreciate the fact it was so well loved. I’m trying to maintain that but can’t quite do it at the same level they did, but I do condition the interior fairly regularly during warm months….IMG_2310.thumb.jpeg.17bcd4c2610ba7938475447ddd2acc25.jpeg

IMG_2311.jpeg

IMG_2309.jpeg

Currently just a stock replacement. I’m debating going to the improved 06+/sti design instead of cleaning all the rtv off the current pan, but on the fence.

Mine sees a little more ‘spirited use’ than a daily/kid hauler, but the aftermarket pans are track duty stuff in my mind. Too expensive for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mine sees the occasional spirited use sans kiddos…but for the most part, nothing too crazy. I agree, most is not needed for my intended purpose, esp at the price point. Interesting about the 06+ sti, I’ll have to check that out.

11 hours ago, SoobyDoobyDoo said:

Mine sees the occasional spirited use sans kiddos…but for the most part, nothing too crazy. I agree, most is not needed for my intended purpose, esp at the price point. Interesting about the 06+ sti, I’ll have to check that out.

To be clear, it’s part number:

11109AA151

It’s the standard pan for 06+ LGT as well. They just also use them on STIs…

The drain is different/better than the ‘05 design and they are a little different internally.

I have a Spectra pan on right now that is an aftermarket pattern replica of this. My old one was rusting out. It is honestly just fine. I’m only debating replacing it because I have the engine out and in pieces. 05s are apparently not prone to pick up failure as much as 06+ models, but still… ‘while I was in there….’ I might as well be broke for a while longer. 🙄

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have an 05 and 06. The 06 did in fact suffer from a pick up failure. So lucky I caught it before catastrophic failure. Replaced it with a Moroso one. The 05 has had a killerB since 2013.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Did some searching and found the oil pan thread with part numbers and different combinations folks have used. I got the 06 oil pan part number. Think I’m just gonna use a iag pick up and 06 oil pan. Do you all just use the stock windage tray/baffle? TIA! 

• Like 1

Didn't have time to wash the specB the last time I washed the Crosstrek, but I started with blasting all the gunk off of the poor B before getting started on the Crosstrek.

SC

• Like 1

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited