LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Seems like everybody is abandoning their LGTs 🥲

Mine just got trailing arm bushings (again) after the OEM set lasted like 45K miles. Surgeline installed Whiteline bushings and also adjusted the right height of my Tein Flex Z's that my friends and I installed last week. The car handles so well, it's ridiculous. Don't have any pictures of the current ride height but did get to enjoy the thing looking absolutely dumped for a brief window in time. Rear ride height is now a bit more in line with the front ride height.

How many of y'all will still be kicking around at Wagonfest this year?

20240223_103840.jpg

• Like 10

Put the GT up on the hoist to start looking around for what needs to get done before the driving season. I was figuring it would be pretty much just the usual. I'm due in for an oil change, etc... anyway, so it seemed like the time to get started. (Weather above 8C this time of year is a reason to celebrate and get some stuff done.)

So, yeah I found all the normal stuff, but now I note that what was previously just a slight weep of oil from the valve cover gaskets is now a distinct drop, with some oil on top of the skid plate: meaning this has to get done now.

Add this to having a SMFW and clutch waiting, engine mounts to replace with Group N stuff and a handful of other small jobs..... My gut says that the best way to do this is going to be to pull the engine. Not that I really want to do that, but I strongly suspect it will ultimately be faster. (It may also be the excuse I need to do head studs, new gaskets, fuel lines, etc.....)

Thoughts on which path is going to be better? I'm just kind of guessing here, since I've never pulled this particular engine, and someone else has probably done this job both ways....

• Like 5

Solid rear sway bar put in. Sooo happy, car is starting to feel like my old Gen 3 twin turbo used to. Pretty sure it is a Cusco bar but so much paint had come off I couldn't be 100%. Anyway, far more responsive and pleasurable to drive 

• Like 5

Playing around, I put the Legacy STi quad exhaust on my wagon. They fit perfectly with the JDM wagon bumper.

IMG_20240303_121501755_HDR_AE.thumb.jpg.3f7581e897dac6d37c231e33388d461f.jpg

IMG_20240303_121509164_HDR_AE.thumb.jpg.ab938aee49dc7ee51e3530b669395d6f.jpg

On a scale of 1-10 for loud, with stock at 2, they would be 3-3.5 in my opinion.

At idle, they are deeper, but they get pretty quiet at full throttle.

Probably a good option for my son's next wagon, but too quiet for me; I much prefer my Titanium Gandors which are still mellow, but more full-bodied under heavy throttle.

Also built a chassis dolly so that I can get the blue wagon off the quickjacks, but still move it around (as I'm removing ALL the suspension).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 2/29/2024 at 12:14 PM, tehspud said:

Well… I did something not to my Legacy, which means the Legacy will soon be up for sale. I still have a couple mechanical things I want to do before I put it up. 

The wife and I agreed that we could add a car payment back into our finances, so I just picked up a “used” ‘23 GR Corolla with 270 miles. This car has been a dream car of mine since before it was officially announced. No good pictures yet because it’s been rainy yesterday and today.

I’ll be sad to see my wagon go, but I hope I can pass it on to a fellow enthusiast. 

IMG_1711.thumb.jpeg.ebfa1112f538077041644d7cbbd6f416.jpeg

B4CF6C8B-99D2-43B0-B69C-B4980FBF0E99.thumb.jpeg.1113265cc02aa0b95ffa80350d326f01.jpeg

How does it compare to an LGT Wagon? The size is one thing but I am interested in overall `feel`.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

5 hours ago, KZJonny said:

Put the GT up on the hoist to start looking around for what needs to get done before the driving season. I was figuring it would be pretty much just the usual. I'm due in for an oil change, etc... anyway, so it seemed like the time to get started. (Weather above 8C this time of year is a reason to celebrate and get some stuff done.)

So, yeah I found all the normal stuff, but now I note that what was previously just a slight weep of oil from the valve cover gaskets is now a distinct drop, with some oil on top of the skid plate: meaning this has to get done now.

Add this to having a SMFW and clutch waiting, engine mounts to replace with Group N stuff and a handful of other small jobs..... My gut says that the best way to do this is going to be to pull the engine. Not that I really want to do that, but I strongly suspect it will ultimately be faster. (It may also be the excuse I need to do head studs, new gaskets, fuel lines, etc.....)

Thoughts on which path is going to be better? I'm just kind of guessing here, since I've never pulled this particular engine, and someone else has probably done this job both ways....

I did pull the engine when I did the STI 6MT swap. I wanted to get few other small things done as well to the engine as well so I figured it would be easier with the engine on the stand where I can turn it any 360 degrees in warm well lit garage.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, KZJonny said:

drop the engine. it's alot easier to put in the new IAG closed deck shortblock.. 

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, SubOperator said:

I did pull the engine when I did the STI 6MT swap. I wanted to get few other small things done as well to the engine as well so I figured it would be easier with the engine on the stand where I can turn it any 360 degrees in warm well lit garage.

This is the way I went as well. I stopped and looked at all the work that I wanted to do and realized that having the engine on a stand was going to make most of it a lot easier.... So, I got started today. I suspect I should have the thing on a stand tomorrow, and maybe a handful of packages winging their way towards me with some high performance goodies inside soon. We shall see.

2 hours ago, boxkita said:

drop the engine. it's alot easier to put in the new IAG closed deck shortblock.. 

If you're buying John I will 100% toss my shortblock and go IAG closed deck.... That should hold up to the mighty JMP VF40 juuust fine. No more worries about pushing around engine internals because of too much boost. 🤪

• Haha 3

Talking about clutch, my stage 1 exedy clutch is already slipping! It did juuust a tad in 4th, 19psi vf52 jmp. 30k. Dang it. Last one lasted about 55k, but it was on a stock vf40 stage 2.

Btw, I changed clutch both ways on these cars. While I hate working on my back and wrestling that trans, I feel it is less work just separating the trans, than fully removing the engine. More steps to track with the latter. But sure, if you have to perform extra work on the engine itself, then might as well..

Edited by xt2005bonbon
  • Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 7:46 PM, SoobyDoobyDoo said:

Yeah…between age and just other cars becoming more (it seems like) readily available, there’s less and less…😕

I'll be keeping mine for as long as possible. I've owned multiple newer-ish vehicles and here we are in 2024 and it's back to being my only vehicle 🤷🏻‍♂️ new cars are a terrible investment, it actually makes more sense financially to keep the Legacy on the road.

We are very fortunate to be a part of a larger enthusiast community. Even though the LGT is relatively niche the cross compatibility of many parts is a huge advantage. My coworker complained to me that he can't get parts readily for his Focus RS. I don't have that problem (yet).

I figure I've got about 10 years before parts start to become scarce. At that point the ICE will be approaching its last days and alternative fuel sources will be the only option. Personally I see a market in the future for electric or hydrogen conversions. They already exist ofc but a move toward mainstream for car enthusiasts sounds plausible to me.

That's another reason why I haven't purchased a newer vehicle with an ICE. Alternative fuels aren't there yet so I'm stuck between spending 50k on either an obsolete technology or an experimental technology. I'll leave that to the average consumer and stick with my shitboxes for now.

I do want to purchase either a Suburban or NV2500 at some point but they'll be at least 10 years old and over 100k miles.

Edited by alex0856
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, SubOperator said:

How does it compare to an LGT Wagon? The size is one thing but I am interested in overall `feel`.

These are very initial impressions, because I've had the GRC less than a week, and it keeps lightly snowing or attempting to snow, forcing me back to the wagon which has winters on. 

If my LGT suspension was stock, it would likely ride better than the GRC. The GRC factory is on the stiff side. Not so much that I can't deal with it daily, and it's softer than my wagon is now on swifts & konis. The steering is way quicker and more responsive. The GRC feels a lot like my old BRZ, which makes sense given they're both electric power steering. Overall I like the feel of the GRC over my wagon as it is right now. Had I kept the shocks/springs stock, or gone for something less aggressive, tbh I'd probably still like the GRC more because it feels quicker. No big comments on engine/power since I'm still in break in on the GRC and haven't wrung it out yet. 

Interior I'd say it's on par, the GRC isn't going to win anyone over in that department, and let's face it, the LGT is 20  years old and full of plastics. It's nice inside the GRC, the touch points and buttons feel good, it's just basic. The infotainment ergonomics are better than the wagon. I do like the GRC seats over the LGT, to me they're more comfortable. I have a Core, so full cloth seats vs the leather in the LGT. This opinion may change after the first long road trip with the GRC. I'm going to miss a sun roof, but the GRC really doesn't need one. 

Obviously the GRC is a much smaller car. I won't be able to shove a 80x38 storm door in it and drive home from the hardware store, lol. But my wife's forester has a similar capacity to the wagon, so together we won't be lacking for that. My biggest gripe (which really isn't a deal breaker) about the GRC as far as cargo goes, is that the battery is in the trunk, and it's massive. There's not much usable space below the "floor", which normally comes in handy when trying to transport a second set of tires. This also means there's no spare, it just came with a bottle of fixaflat goop and a wimpy compressor.  I'll still be able to get a full set of wheels/tires into the back, and with the seats down I can throw my snowboard in for a solo trip up to the mountain, so it handles my needs well. 

Looks is a fully subjective thing, I love the look of both, but they're very different. The LGT is classic, dare I say elegant, touring wagon design. The GRC is a shouty "look at me" hot hatch. I appreciate both of those things. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, boxkita said:

I should have canceled my membership here after selling the wagons.

About once a week, I'm tempted to call up the new owner of my black wagon and see if they ll sell it back. Then I read a couple posts in this thread, and I'm ok again.

I'll have a silver one for sale soon... 😁

• Haha 4

i looked at the grc before buying the gr86. I'd already had a turbo chevy sonic. Grc seemed too "boy racer"...I could have kept the wagon.

Just wanted a small 6mt car. Have liked the brz look since they came out. So far, it's been everything I wanted. Except for the 2 grocery bag trunk space...that's hard to overcome. :)

5 minutes ago, boxkita said:

i looked at the grc before buying the gr86. I'd already had a turbo chevy sonic. Grc seemed too "boy racer"...I could have kept the wagon.

Just wanted a small 6mt car. Have liked the brz look since they came out. So far, it's been everything I wanted. Except for the 2 grocery bag trunk space...that's hard to overcome. :)

I dunno what you're talking about, I got a full set of mounted wheels/tires (17x9, 245s) and a second set of tires in my first gen BRZ once. I think it had plenty of space for groceries. 

I forgot the most important comparison. 

GR Corolla forums suck, this place is way better. That's what you get with 20 years of knowledge vs 1. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@infosecdad:

I see we have the same exhaust…

It came on the car when I purchased it. I paid extra since the P.O. claimed he spent a lot to get the tips adjusted to match the bumper. I agree it is “loud” in the low frequencies at idle, and sounds good (not droning) at highway speeds.

I asked my neighbor about it, since I back out of my garage at 6:30am and his (usually open) bedroom windows are 100 feet away. He said he can hear the “low rumble”, but it’s not an issue. Which is fair, since I hear his Corvette when he fires it up.

IMG_8522.thumb.jpeg.e138e77cad971161397896c93d4a09e0.jpeg
IMG_8520.thumb.jpeg.c605638c4d281bedea1b7c583dcb3117.jpeg

• Like 6

Pulled the engine, after minimal deliberation about how best to do the list of jobs that need doing.

Turns out the car has some surprises in it still…

73128262496__D72A4B85-565A-47D4-9557-CC0B1C78414B.thumb.jpeg.1977ca775ef6c82c2b42b080829ccfe0.jpeg

This is not a dual mass flywheel… I guess I’ll be paying a visit to the machine shop to have this resurfaced?

This is kind of funny, as I’d always kind of thought the complaints about the DMFW were a little over the top. I figured the car always felt pretty darn nice. I guess that was because it was not at all what I thought it was the whole time….

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Not today but over the weekend. Swapped out the bumper "vents" for an unpainted pair. Think I like the contrast better than the painted version and echos the sedan bumper. Also got the JDM cargo fan option wired up and working. This thing is sweet! Very quiet and moves a good amount of air. May have to hotbox the wagon one time to see just how much and how quickly it moves air.

731008483.thumb.jpg.04cd7890c61b232e2aebc3f1aea05925.jpg

731032880.thumb.jpg.40eddd9ced76ee33f672355cde1b9006.jpg

Also bought some more parts over the weekend....there was an S402 getting parted on the auctions so I snagged a couple items. The Euro console style shift boot trim in gunmetal, McIntosh double-din panel (piano black), S402 radiator/AC condenser fans (S blades), and the part I'm most excited for.....HVAC control door for the rear console heater option. This piece has been on my list for a long time.

357f676.jpg.2916ab16fcbc773cc786c710224c90da.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, DoctorDaveLGT said:

Not today but over the weekend. Swapped out the bumper "vents" for an unpainted pair. Think I like the contrast better than the painted version and echos the sedan bumper. Also got the JDM cargo fan option wired up and working. This thing is sweet! Very quiet and moves a good amount of air. May have to hotbox the wagon one time to see just how much and how quickly it moves air.

731008483.thumb.jpg.04cd7890c61b232e2aebc3f1aea05925.jpg

731032880.thumb.jpg.40eddd9ced76ee33f672355cde1b9006.jpg

Also bought some more parts over the weekend....there was an S402 getting parted on the auctions so I snagged a couple items. The Euro console style shift boot trim in gunmetal, McIntosh double-din panel (piano black), S402 radiator/AC condenser fans (S blades), and the part I'm most excited for.....HVAC control door for the rear console heater option. This piece has been on my list for a long time.

357f676.jpg.2916ab16fcbc773cc786c710224c90da.jpg

Looks awesome! I guess it is for the better I never really figured out the whole Yahoo Japan auctions thing. So much money was spent on different things for LGT as is.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, KZJonny said:

Pulled the engine, after minimal deliberation about how best to do the list of jobs that need doing.

Turns out the car has some surprises in it still…

73128262496__D72A4B85-565A-47D4-9557-CC0B1C78414B.thumb.jpeg.1977ca775ef6c82c2b42b080829ccfe0.jpeg

This is not a dual mass flywheel… I guess I’ll be paying a visit to the machine shop to have this resurfaced?

This is kind of funny, as I’d always kind of thought the complaints about the DMFW were a little over the top. I figured the car always felt pretty darn nice. I guess that was because it was not at all what I thought it was the whole time….

Whatever you do, be sure to replace the torx+ with oem hex.

• Like 3