LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

11 hours ago, KZJonny said:

It’s amazing how many friends you did not know you had appear when they find out you have a lift. Hah! ;)

IMG_3625.jpeg.1898d27fbce10f39a126baa1aba5c93c.jpeg72057040206__13D9E7A8-38C9-4F6A-B3F5-A7BC651507B0.thumb.jpeg.1463ede67e7feb50e14550f7661a85f0.jpeg72342741765__AF691C76-532A-4DFC-9325-E87A4D0F7AC5.thumb.jpeg.fd036f344fcbc8ee91d78c4632ee6433.jpeg

The Legacy sedan is not mine.

Oh definitely. He has told me this himself. I find myself feeling self conscious about using his lift every time I ask. So I help him with his projects whenever I can. He's been working on scrapping a WRX for a while now which was tied up on the lift so we spent a Saturday stripping it so it can be hauled off. Although I won't lie, I found dismantling a car that I didn't need to put back together a lot of fun.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, alex0856 said:

I recommend the vacuum pump method. I've also used the cheap one man bleeder kit. I vacuumed the living hell out of my lines when I did my flush and my car brakes like it was new.

Did you use a Mighty Vac hand sqeezed pump, or something powered?

My Mighty Vac takes a lot of squeezing to completely flush the lines.

Gave mine a good bath the other day, but I’ve been slacking on taking pics. Installed a GS heat shield and JDM battery cover also, which I’m very satisfied with. Next up is a Mishimoto radiator. State inspection scheduled.

Springtime house/lawnmower maintenance duties have taken over otherwise.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Ashtone said:

Did you use a vacuum pump, or the two man “pump the pedal” method?

I read a thread by jmp and he said to gravity bleed it. It took forever but I followed his instructions and seems to be dialed. 

• Like 4

Took it for spirited drive to pick up takeout. God this car drives so well, any thoughts of selling it literally fly out of the window.

My son picked the HVAC actuators from the dealer. If I end up taking the dash out, will also try to apply some sound insulation whenever I'll be able to reach.

• Like 5

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Down the memory lane with Google:
image.thumb.png.31b5682769377bdd9e4b2c29b92c57a5.png

• Like 5

Meant to show this for some time. Applies to wagon owners. If you have a spare cargo rubber mat, you can use it to cover the folded rear seats. When seats are up, both mats stack up nicely and there is little noticing of second mat.

image.thumb.png.1a5e56f7a913d6fbf8228c20b77d2f60.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Did not post the photos of JDM front end conversion my boys did on my wagon last summer. Here it is:
image.thumb.png.94b23e07c3ad7573714e13db5473c240.png

image.thumb.png.d10e03deb8b1de0daa90324700f16175.png

image.thumb.png.644c91c4fba1627b10e08a9a0fea18a5.png

• Like 15

14 hours ago, SubOperator said:

Meant to show this for some time. Applies to wagon owners. If you have a spare cargo rubber mat, you can use it to cover the folded rear seats. When seats are up, both mats stack up nicely and there is little noticing of second mat.

image.thumb.png.1a5e56f7a913d6fbf8228c20b77d2f60.png

I have wanted one for a long time but you can't buy them new anymore unfortunately. I'll probably end up going aftermarket at some point.

Being a car person is a bummer sometimes. I should sell it and buy an automatic Corolla.

My car still isn't done unfortunately. A mixture of the "while we're here" curse and finding more problems has dragged it out quite a bit. The trans is sitting on the jack ready to go with a new fork, spring, and pivot ball, and the clutch is installed. I drained the coolant to pull the turbo because reasons and found the lower oil drain was crushed - probably from 22 year old me using channel locks on it. It wasn't causing a restriction from what I can tell, it was just oval shaped and causing a leak. Fortunately you can buy replacements still.

Today I'll finish getting the perrin inlet installed, then the AOS and rack bushings. I might even get the boot swapped on my year old CV that somehow got a hole in it.

While swapping my heater hoses and pulling the upper rad hose I found what appeared to be coolant seeps, likely from the car sitting for so long. I think I've got contamination in the system as well. I'll probably do some sort of flush once it's on the ground.

Hopefully my shift linkage seal and turbo oil drain will be here by Tuesday. I'm supposed to be driving it to Seattle next weekend.

I think the problem all along was misalignment caused by dumb kids replacing a clutch without the proper tools. Here's some pics of the gore. You can see where the clutch disk was only partially grabbing. I wish I had got one of my bell housing before I cleaned it out.

The ring on the back of the flywheel was from a nut that fell in to my bell housing and landed perfectly behind the flywheel. I'll have to find it and take a pic. It's got nice char marks on the head. I'm glad I bought a new timing inspection cover.

20240407_181639.jpg

20240407_183957.jpg

20240408_163424.jpg

20240408_163516.jpg

20240413_133817.jpg

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, alex0856 said:

I have wanted one for a long time but you can't buy them new anymore unfortunately. I'll probably end up going aftermarket at some point.

Try LKQ. In case you’re not familiar, they are a nationwide auto recycler. I work at a body shop, and we get parts from them daily. With the number of these cars sold, I’m sure there’s plenty of them out there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ashtone said:

Try LKQ. In case you’re not familiar, they are a nationwide auto recycler. I work at a body shop, and we get parts from them daily. With the number of these cars sold, I’m sure there’s plenty of them out there.

Exactly, these mats are all the same for Legacy wagons and Outbacks 05-09. Some local junkyard may have some.

23 hours ago, SubOperator said:

Did not post the photos of JDM front end conversion my boys did on my wagon last summer. Here it is:
image.thumb.png.94b23e07c3ad7573714e13db5473c240.png

image.thumb.png.d10e03deb8b1de0daa90324700f16175.png

image.thumb.png.644c91c4fba1627b10e08a9a0fea18a5.png

Yeah dude!
I am much more a fan of pre-facelift look than post, but that looks slick.

Wouldn't turn that down... at all.

Hoping we get to see it in all it'd glory at this year's ECM?

@Enlight is bringing me some JDM bumpers, so maybe you can apply your skills and we can do the swap at the house one afternoon?

• Like 4

Damn Mishimoto radiator install was a pain. Slightly off fit, had to trim most of the hoses, replaced crusty old hose clamps, and the coolant crossover. That little elbow at the water pump should probably be replaced now. Was expecting to be in and out..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BoozeRS05 said:

Damn Mishimoto radiator install was a pain. Slightly off fit, had to trim most of the hoses, replaced crusty old hose clamps, and the coolant crossover. That little elbow at the water pump should probably be replaced now. Was expecting to be in and out..

Just a question, why did you not go Koyo Rad? It fits sooo well. I love them.

• Like 1

image.thumb.jpg.9c2cfa021cf10e2acaf4ba29391ddfda.jpg

Little things add up. Insulating crossover pipe a little. Since it sits crazy close to the header.image.thumb.jpg.f57d04e8a4e5bde8e206d3ca72d2c825.jpg

Yeah, the block is irrecoverably dirty, but the pipe can at least get a refresh and some spiffy SS fasteners that won’t corrode in 2 years….

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, NORULZleggy said:

Just a question, why did you not go Koyo Rad? It fits sooo well. I love them.

Well I grabbed the Mishimoto from the classifieds here for a good deal and my previous experience installing one a decade ago was about as painless as installing an OEM unit.

It just took twice as long to align/fit everything, but I’m mostly happy with it esp since I got it for a good price 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KZJonny said:

Yeah dude!
I am much more a fan of pre-facelift look than post, but that looks slick.

Wouldn't turn that down... at all.

Hoping we get to see it in all it'd glory at this year's ECM?

@Enlight is bringing me some JDM bumpers, so maybe you can apply your skills and we can do the swap at the house one afternoon?

I hope to be there and sure, we can spend some time and put those JDM bumpers on... I will grab some plastic fasteners and tools. Are you doing pre-facelift JDM swap?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SubOperator said:

I hope to be there and sure, we can spend some time and put those JDM bumpers on... I will grab some plastic fasteners and tools. Are you doing pre-facelift JDM swap?

Yes. Probably just be the front, since I didn’t find a rear bar on time for the shipment. (Do have a rear bumper tho.)

Maybe should bring along a jigsaw or a recip if it looks like it’s possible to cut down the USDM bar to fit. Not sure.

17 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

Yes. Probably just be the front, since I didn’t find a rear bar on time for the shipment. (Do have a rear bumper tho.)

Maybe should bring along a jigsaw or a recip if it looks like it’s possible to cut down the USDM bar to fit. Not sure.

You just have to cut the corners of the front crash bar to fit a pre-facelift JDM bumper.  I have a post from ~2019 with a picture of how much in the "what did you do to your 4th gen" that I'll try to find.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

KZJonny, do you need a rear bar for the LGT or Outback? if LGT, it should fit without the foam. I have a JDM outback rear bumper on one of my cars and I got a USDM Legacy rear beam with it.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Infosecdad said:

You just have to cut the corners of the front crash bar to fit a pre-facelift JDM bumper.  I have a post from ~2019 with a picture of how much in the "what did you do to your 4th gen" that I'll try to find.

@Enlight will be bringing the JDM front bar I bought for like, $12. I also have a Cusco front brace that only fits JDM bars, so it seemed like a reasonable idea at the time.

3 minutes ago, xt2005bonbon said:

KZJonny, do you need a rear bar for the LGT or Outback? if LGT, it should fit without the foam. I have a JDM outback rear bumper on one of my cars and I got a USDM Legacy rear beam with it.

I have an LGT…. So… straight up fit without the foam eh?

I mean, I can always weld up a shorter crash bar and mount it to the steel ends down the road. Delete or trim the USDM rear crash later.

I kind of like having the foam…. Takes some of the rattle out of the plastic, but I will 100% work with what I’ve got.