LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

I am an Amsoil guy. Even the shop that built my car calls me for it :lol:. I never talk to people about what they use. I hear people use Amazon oil in there Subaru's. To each their own.

:)

I have a whole list of "hot" topics. "OIL!" here used to be akin to "DRAW, gunslinger". Probably just as well all that got archived.

I did/do blackstone. Mostly to get the reports on how much wear I was putting on the engine. Now I've taken rao's advice and put it on jackstands. He was right...wear is nil.

To me, oil choice has become just another venue for paranoia about whether the car will blow up. I've run Brotella, Amsoil, Motul, Liquimoly 40W synthetics, mostly got clean Blackstone analyses with some interesting comments about metal content and what they could mean. Once in all my years I picked up signs of wear, which I heard as a light knock within a few thousand miles. Don't think that was the particular oil's fault. As long as it's the correct viscosity, has whatever property modifiers your application calls for and doesn't shear to uselessness within 3000 miles, seems a given oil is fine to me. I've resolved to stop sending oil to Blackstone on this build, just cuz. It's already noisy, that gives me plenty to worry about every time I drive near a wall with a window open.

Speaking of oil - another 5 speed seems destined to die. Sounds like an input shaft bearing is going. Who wants me to fill the turd with 4 quarts of Lucas oil stabilizer/donkey snot and see what happens?

i did "engine rebuild in a bottle" to my turbo shadow based on an ex-mechanic/friend's recommendation. Then drove it home. It was much noisier after a couple of oil changes flushed it out. still it started on the first try after several years. I sold it for a dollar. friend still has it. hmm...$1000's into another subaru engine, $100's into a dodge. meh

So we starting an emotional support group or what

I run Kirkland Signature 5W-30 these days. Hasn't failed me yet. *Knocks on wood*

That's what's going in my non turbo cars going forward. Shit is CHEAP. And apparently pretty decent per bitog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was pretty close to messing around with a CV grill but gave up dealing with local yards. Where did you acquire yours? I feel like with time and patience, lots of small cuts, it has to be pretty doable. Are you using a subaru badge to cover the ford emblem base?

Ebay.

Yes I will be, I think it a 08 Impreza emblem (DIY thread), I'm not going to buy it until the grille is completed.

Edited by JJr

Blackstone knows waaay better than me what oils I was using for all these samples. I'll put anything in there, even tried M1's 5w40 once.

Usually go for a 40 weight, but as long as it's always topped off, idgaf

1282454233_Screenshot_20181127-1804025.thumb.png.84de1bae94cb4f4a578e4b09e11d6d15.png

Edited by BoozeRS05

Finally took the cover off the LGT wagon and took it for a spin. Last time I drove it was way back in November when we closed on our home. Battery was on a trickle charger, but still needed a jump to start.

Found a couple issues I'll need to work on this summer:

• check for parasitic draw (and test trickle charger) see above

• need to remount my FPR and possibly reroute lines, didn't realize how cluttered they are (six months of not looking at it will give you a new perspective)

• passenger front outer CV is clicking

• lines going to (and from?) my Derale trans thermostat are seeping, not sure which ones, will need to get under the car to diag

• during my test drive I blew the intercooler to throttle hose off of my Grimspeed TMIC twice, despite getting it as far on as it can go and tightening to worm clamp down as tight as I can without taking an impact to it
    - anyone else run into this? I've taken the TMIC off so many times that I'm wondering if I've somehow worn out the hose :spin:

Finally took the cover off the LGT wagon and took it for a spin. Last time I drove it was way back in November when we closed on our home. Battery was on a trickle charger, but still needed a jump to start.

Found a couple issues I'll need to work on this summer:

• check for parasitic draw (and test trickle charger) see above

• need to remount my FPR and possibly reroute lines, didn't realize how cluttered they are (six months of not looking at it will give you a new perspective)

• passenger front outer CV is clicking

• lines going to (and from?) my Derale trans thermostat are seeping, not sure which ones, will need to get under the car to diag

• during my test drive I blew the intercooler to throttle hose off of my Grimspeed TMIC twice, despite getting it as far on as it can go and tightening to worm clamp down as tight as I can without taking an impact to it
    - anyone else run into this? I've taken the TMIC off so many times that I'm wondering if I've somehow worn out the hose :spin:

Kip had a similar problem. ended up getting a new hose and clamp

Instead of working on my LGT, I've learned that I already have the JDM dual climate, but need the top half of the 2din conversion. Also gotta pull the radio to see how the job was done. All this on Wednesday when I get the car. Previous owner didn't do the airbag recall, now I have to wait to pick up the car from the stealership (just bought the car too, not happy about the wait, but whatever). Hopefully the radio works with my phone and not be full of static like the am/FM receiver...

I stumbled on an open box for a QuickJack BL7000-EXT late one night...

IMG_8517.thumb.jpg.ff01f3c58140618832d9532f7305d166.jpg

Need to stop playing around on the computer late at night.

That said, this thing is awesome.

I bought a set of hockey pucks and notched them for the pinched frame (saved $75)

I can get the car up high enough to roll under with my creeper, which is sweet.

I went with the 7000lb one as I also have a 2011 Outback and a 2007 Odyssey which tips right at 5000lbs. The Odyssey will likely get replaced by an Ascent in a couple years or something similarly sized. So I went for the bigger one.

[ATTACH]291920[/ATTACH]

I bought a set of hockey pucks and notched them for the pinched frame (saved $75)

I went with the 7000lb one as I also have a 2011 Outback and a 2007 Odyssey which tips right at 5000lbs. The Odyssey will likely get replaced by an Ascent in a couple years or something similarly sized. So I went for the bigger one.

Nice find! Hopefully I'll be able to afford one of these as jack stands are a pain to use!

[ATTACH]291920[/ATTACH]

Mine are 7000lbs too, I figured with EV's becoming the future...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

A buddy of mine put me on to these QuickJacks, I thought about it but seeing as ya'll have them, I might think harder on getting them. 7k lb one should fit my wife's grand cherokee also so I might roll that way

Received my 2015-2018 STI rack. Looks so purdy. Now I have to just be patient for all my new power steering lines to come in.

Also installed my GS TMIC a couple days ago. To anyone with a keen eye - I have already rectified the BPV hose issue. Sort of, I figured out how I should do it but the OEM plastic hose got pretty mangled while forcing it under the GS hose. It should hold :confused:

I guess now that I've got the TMIC of my dreams, it is time to start thinking VF52....mwuahaha.

20210529_142734.thumb.jpg.92f530b43df90061669f33ff07799a0c.jpg

20210527_205613.thumb.jpg.b0aeda89104c219907a2007af9701de2.jpg