LegacyGT.com

Reliability Modifications

I am embarrassed to say this... but like a prike I went 20,000km with just topping up the oil... I had some priorities to deal with. I through the following codes P0011, P0021, P2135 limp mode.

Turbo did not catastrophically let go, just ever so much. Caught it in time.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My car sees a lot of salt come winter. What can I do to prevent the damage?

What parts should I be particularly concerned about?

Is rust-proofing the undercarriage one measure I should take?

I'm still on the original brake lines, now at 87k mi. Should I be looking to replace, given the aforementioned salt exposure?

If yes, with what? Am I due for a change regardless?

Thanks in advance!

Drive the car on a rainy day in April. That will wash the underside. My wagon looks great. You know it goes to VT every winter weekend. We salt the roads around here too.

When I took it in for the brake line recall, I figured it would be one that had a real rust problem. It was fine, they cleaned the block and coated it.

I normally wash it once or twice during the winter nothing special.

Ya know, I was thinking about you today as I was driving into the parking lot. Just after I hit 5500rpm in 1st gear, I thought to myself, Gee and Grant say's his car never see's over 3500rpm. Mine see's more then that in a parking lot. LOL

Hope you had a great season at Whistler Blackcomb, I got a few late season turns at Killington a couple weeks back..

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Great - thanks for the tips. I received my KillerB pickup (used) yesterday, just need an O-Ring and plan to get it all done.

Is this the right thread for the Group N STI mounts?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/group-n-engine-mounts-81119.html

So all I'll need are the two mounts (L/R) and 4 nuts.

Yup.. and if you notice Underdog is active in that thread.. I bought my Group-N mounts and he included the (4) nuts without me even asking for them. Stand-up guy.. ask him for a quote!

• 2 weeks later...
Any up pipe that fits an 02-11 STI will fit your 05-09 LGT (though not all of these pipes will necessarily be catless)

Any idea on post 2011 STI up-pipes? Just got a good deal on a 2013 UP and I won't be heart broken if I can't use it, but it'd be a bit of a pain.

• I Donated
Any point to the KillerB baffle if the car is a DD?

If you're already dropping the pan it's probably worth the extra money--not really that much extra expense.

If you're thinking about doing the baffle you better be doing the pickup tube too. that's the real reliability mod you need if you're dropping the pan.

I recommend rust-proofing the car if you live anywhere they put salt or anything else corrosive on the roads. This can include the spray they put on the dirt roads like in my town to keep dust down. A proper rust proofing isn't just an undercarriage spray, its the full treatment inside the doors, hood, trunk, frame rails, wheel wells etc. etc. The obvious benefits are you eliminate rusting from the inside out, which is a big problem. The not so obvious benefits are nuts and bolts don't get rusted (and ceased) in place, brake lines don't rot, and even wiring benefits from the water-repelling nature of the rust proofing sprays. If you've ever had to trouble shoot failed ABS systems you'll appreciate this.

Any idea on post 2011 STI up-pipes? Just got a good deal on a 2013 UP and I won't be heart broken if I can't use it, but it'd be a bit of a pain.

12, 13, and 14 are the same as the rest. So yes it will work.

Yep, I've got the pickup already.. waiting to be installed. The guy I got the pickup from has the baffle for me unless I don't want it. So I'm just wondering.. :D

• 2 months later...

Welp, I've got all the parts.. but I'm scared to do this from underneath as I don't want to risk stripping or breaking a head off a screw.

How many have done the Killer-B baffle and pickup from below as opposed to pulling the engine? Some of the local WRX/STI guys say there's not a lot of room from below.. is the LGT's better for that?

Also curious about doing the motor mounts from below...

Thanks,.

• Moderators
Welp, I've got all the parts.. but I'm scared to do this from underneath as I don't want to risk stripping or breaking a head off a screw.

How many have done the Killer-B baffle and pickup from below as opposed to pulling the engine? Some of the local WRX/STI guys say there's not a lot of room from below.. is the LGT's better for that?

Also curious about doing the motor mounts from below...

Thanks,.

I just changed out my pan / baffle / pick up tube from below. Don't know why you would possibly pull the engine for the job unless you had a bunch of other stuff to do also...

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived