LegacyGT.com

Reliability Modifications

heat-wrapping the downpipe...can this be added to this list?

It's only really applicable to after-market downpipes to help keep the CV boot in good shape. I don't think it's known if an unwrapped pipe accelerates wear, it's just conjecture at this point.

You can also get bolt on heat shields to help protect the CV boot.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Headder wrap is bad for rusting pipes even stainless pipes ! High temperature silver or silver ceramic paint will help a lot , a heat shield is probaby best.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

It's only really applicable to after-market downpipes to help keep the CV boot in good shape. I don't think it's known if an unwrapped pipe accelerates wear, it's just conjecture at this point.

You can also get bolt on heat shields to help protect the CV boot.

Headder wrap is bad for rusting pipes even stainless pipes ! High temperature silver or silver ceramic paint will help a lot , a heat shield is probaby best.

Can you show me a link? Can't find one anywhere

Imho 7 k miles is ridicules. The manual i think says never

Imho i think 50 000 is reasonable

i think 7k is excessive, 15k is reasonable if you drive hard. but really just check the color and go from there!

Heat shield

This is the one I got -

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G7H6IA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Amazon.com: Thermo-Tec 11650 1' X 4" Pipe Shield: Automotive[/ame]

Crappy picture, but this is what it looks like

http://i.imgur.com/HaKIXq7.jpg

That DP is wrapped backwards, sorry..

You wanna wrap toward the turbo.

Yeah...I realized that after I wrapped and installed it. In another year and a half I'll fix it.

interesting. i see that you wrapped AND shielded. if i just get he shield will it be enough?

Mine is ceramic coated, wrapped, and heat shielded. Just pure and pointless overkill.

I had had a track day before I installed it and I was amazed at how much heat was in the engine bay. So I went a little overboard...

I believe a 'reliability mod' would be to own this software+bluetooth sensor

Since knock is the one of the main reasons (if not the main reason) for failed ringlands, we should monitor it! This program can alert you when the knock sensor 'hears' something.

If you don't own an AP, or carry your laptop around at all time with romraider running, I believe all LGT/OBXT owners should own this tool.

Sure. But I like to monitor more than just knock, like one of the forum member's screenshot below. And having the convenience to have this on my phone or tablet is priceless.

http://www.btssm.com/scrnshots/scrnshot36digital.png

You can get ELM 327 adapters running Torque, a free app, and using either Bluetooth and an Android tablet or WiFi and an iPad and is compatible with OBDII and CANbus. Torque Pro is available for a nominal price and would give you a more user-definable dashboard.

Or you could go with a Scangauge or Ultragauge which plugs directly into the OBDII socket and allows you to see any four items on OBDII.

The separate knock sensor plus amplifier allows you to sense knock at any location on the block, not just where the factory sensor is.

I have torque pro with the ELM 327 as well since 2010 or 2011. Refresh rate is very very slow compared to this app (granted it is not Torque's fault; it is the adapter's fault). The above app has been specifically designed for our car by a fellow member. He's done a great job. And this can also report a 'learning view' screenshot, which Torque can't do.

i've heard a few members say it helps to keep your engine cover on if you have a stock TMIC...is this true?

Don't think it really matters. You just want to make sure that the hood scope mates up to the TMIC.

But honestly if daily driving it's not going to matter at all.

Don't think it really matters. You just want to make sure that the hood scope mates up to the TMIC.

But honestly if daily driving it's not going to matter at all.

good...because i think it looks hideous haha. i like to see the working parts when i pop the hood

I would think that the cover helps channel all the fresh air coming from the hood scoop to the intercooler. It would seem that without the cover, a portion of the cold air would channel around the intercooler and not go directly on it. But how much performance you may loose? :iam:

Archived