LegacyGT.com

Reliability Modifications

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys,

I'm now thinking new vf46, rather than vf52. This because I'm not really interested in increasing my hp from what I'm at now at Stage 2 via Cobb Accessport.

From reading what I have, I wouldn't need a tune if I go with either vf40 or vf46. Is this correct?

I am soon to get an aftermarket Grimmspeed UP (yes finally!) and an aftermarket catback exhaust (Borla)

Yes, I already have an aftermarket 3" catted Cobb DP.

Given the above, would you suggest the vf46, or simply go with another vf40?

One more tidbit....I alllllways shift before 5k. Yeah, I know. :redface:

TIA.

This is a great thread for us newbies. I'm very familiar with cars but all cars have different issues and this helps me a lot. One question tho, other than subaru ATF, can I possibly use amsoil in the tranny? I've used it in my previous evo and current supra and feel its great stuff. Just lookin for some input

This is a great thread for us newbies. I'm very familiar with cars but all cars have different issues and this helps me a lot. One question tho, other than subaru ATF, can I possibly use amsoil in the tranny? I've used it in my previous evo and current supra and feel its great stuff. Just lookin for some input

I'd say yes. Of course, that means complete replacement.

After being rebuilt by IPT, I filled my '05 LGT's new 5EAT with AMSOIL. The specification on the container indicate it is a replacement for the OEM fluid, IPT recommended it, and it worked perfectly.

I'd say yes. Of course, that means complete replacement.

After being rebuilt by IPT, I filled my '05 LGT's new 5EAT with AMSOIL. The specification on the container indicate it is a replacement for the OEM fluid, IPT recommended it, and it worked perfectly.

Complete replacement as in flush?

jasejase wrote.....

Would this unit need a tune?

Any more thoughts on my original post, please?.......

http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/qreply.gif Hey guys,

I'm now thinking new vf46, rather than vf52. This because I'm not really interested in increasing my hp from what I'm at now at Stage 2 via Cobb Accessport.

From reading what I have, I wouldn't need a tune if I go with either vf40 or vf46. Is this correct?

I am soon to get an aftermarket Grimmspeed UP (yes finally!) and an aftermarket catback exhaust (Borla)

Yes, I already have an aftermarket 3" catted Cobb DP.

Given the above, would you suggest the vf46, or simply go with another vf40?

One more tidbit....I alllllways shift before 5k. Yeah, I know. :redface:

TIA.

The 16g should have a tune. But you can score an e-tune for a decent price with a vag cable.

If you aren't looking to change much, and like stage 2... just go with another vf40 or VF46 (people may argue that the 46's has less failures, however the 40's have been around longer, and I believe there are more of them out there). They both have decent overall records, especially if you focus on those who properly maintain their cars. If 3 out of 10 failed, that would be another story, but that's simply not the case. The failures get a lot of attention, and SEVERAL of them are due to lack of diligent maintenance.

Hey guys.

I am soon to get an aftermarket Grimmspeed UP, and an aftermarket CBE (Borla) installed.

Would anyone suggest I also have a new (AVO) IC installed at the same time, thus saving on labor?

Is the stock IC really that big an issue?

The stock tmic is easy to install and remove. At your boost levels it will be fine. THe AVO like most aftermarket tmic, have fitment issues.

The new Grimmspeed, which will be out in the Spring....hopefully will solve that.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/grimmspeed-08-wrx-lgt-top-mount-intercooler-interesti-212367.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Hey guys.

I am soon to get an aftermarket Grimmspeed UP, and an aftermarket CBE (Borla) installed.

Would anyone suggest I also have a new (AVO) IC installed at the same time, thus saving on labor?

Is the stock IC really that big an issue?

No. Your OEM TMIC is a superior TMIC... especially given your priorities and driving. Keep on top of the tabs, and contact BarManBean if necessary. The AVO will provide nothing you want, and take away DD intercooler efficiency.

EDIT: Max is here :) quicker on the draw.

And something that's not clear, at least to me, you mention a Cobb DP and question tuning. Can we assume you had the DP tuned for??

I know many people with a stock intercooler that have no issues at stage 2. But, you can argue, that it's a problem waiting to happen I guess. You're not saving much labor. If an IC swap takes more than 45 minutes, something went wrong. Many people will boast about being able to do it, in about 5-10 minutes. Just a couple of bolts/clamps really.

You can choose to bullet proof your TMIC. You can search for it on here. Save yourself some cash.

Are you talking about a legacy here? I know we pm'd about an STI. different animal in many of these regards.

• 1 month later...

Good thread, lots of solid advice -- thanks guys.

The only thing I would like to add is keeping on top of your coolant change intervals (ideally with Subaru Long Life Coolant & Subaru Coolant Conditioner), even though turbo EJ25s aren't especially known for head gasket failure.

Good thread, lots of solid advice -- thanks guys.

The only thing I would like to add is keeping on top of your coolant change intervals (ideally with Subaru Long Life Coolant & Subaru Coolant Conditioner), even though turbo EJ25s aren't especially known for head gasket failure.

IIRC The '05 LGT's were prone to blown head gaskets.

Archived