LegacyGT.com

Reliability Modifications

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Gonna bumparoo here)

I replaced mine while doing my timing belt since it was already off of the car.

I have no problem believing that the GT crank pulley will last until 100k... I DON'T, however, believe that it will last another 100k on top of that. I'd (personally) keep an eye on it, and replace it when doing the drive belts next if you've already finished your timing job.

While I see no problem with "keeping an eye on it," from personal experience with one that began to come apart I'm more inclined to preventive maintenance... and have one on hand to install at the first sign the rubber is becoming misaligned. The consequence are too great to cheap out here.

I still have a virtually new one in a box that I took off my LGT when I installed a LWCP. Free to anyone who wants to pay the shipping. :)

i'm getting the GS crank pulley put on in 2 days

do i HAVE to get new belts or is it only if the current belts look worn?

if i replace, would you recommend just normal ones from the local auto parts store or any brand in particular?

i'm getting the GS crank pulley put on in 2 days

do i HAVE to get new belts or is it only if the current belts look worn?

if i replace, would you recommend just normal ones from the local auto parts store or any brand in particular?

Just inspect them and see if they are cracked. If not, keep them. In any case, you can get them at any auto parts store. Nothing fancy about these accessory belts.

I still have a virtually new one in a box that I took off my LGT when I installed a LWCP. Free to anyone who wants to pay the shipping. :)

Me! Sending you a PM. Mine is giving me anxiety but I don't want to go LWCP so a fresh OEM one would be perfect! :wub:

(Gonna bumparoo here)

I replaced mine while doing my timing belt since it was already off of the car.

I have no problem believing that the GT crank pulley will last until 100k... I DON'T, however, believe that it will last another 100k on top of that.

Just did my timing belt at 108 thousand miles because the owner before did not do it. The crank pulley had various cracks from the outside working their way to the inside. If I find it I will take a pic, I might have thrown it out. I ended up replacing mine with a stock crank pulley because the dealer gave me a great deal on it.

• 1 month later...
Its a nightmare ! How long will it take you to do ? And how much will it cost !

I hate the ej255-7 for this

I am taking my time (we have two cars). It should cost me the price of six buckets, timing belt components, a couple cam seals, cam bolts, and one valve cover gasket. So about 350 bucks and my time?

And what 30 hours !?

naaah.

-to take battery off, coil packs, valve cover, a good 45mn due to hard to reach bottom 10mm valve cover bolt

-measure valve clearance ( a good 30mn)

-take timing belt off (a good 45mn-1hr)

-take off cam sprockets. if you straightaway try the method I used via a bolt extractor from HF with breaker bar (a good hour or way less)

-pull ocv cage and take off camshafts (45mn)

-access buckets :)

then reverse all of that. So I would say a good Saturday if you're courageous and start early.

Reason I ended up getting the TIC FU cam Bolts. I had the longblock in my trunk going to dealerships and other random shops letting everyone take turns untill the bolt finally came off. Sombich looked like a Hydroshock in ballistic jelly once it was finally off. Why the hell are the cam gears composite? Broke that too in the process.

• 1 month later...
The pipe leading from the header to the turbocharger is called the up-pipe. In the 2005-2006 Legacies, this pipe has a catalytic converter in it. Over time, this catalytic converter has a habit of breaking down and sending debris into the turbo. The turbo's purpose is to push air back into the engine, so not only does this destroy the turbo, but it can also destroy the engine. This is why the "cat" in the up-pipe was removed for the 2007 model year and forwards.

There are ways to gut the stock up-pipe and remove the debris ahead of time. Alternatively (and probably preferably), you could get an aftermarket up-pipe. Cobb makes one that's $210; other companies will sell you OK ones for $150 and up. It's a simple-looking part, but it can make all the difference.

Also, because the banjo filter has a habit of clogging up and starving the turbo of oil (which also causes turbo and potentially engine destruction), it's best to either remove the banjo filter or install an Infamous Performance oil feed line kit. This kit is $220. Look for m-sprank, he's the main guy at Infamous. He can answer questions and sell you stuff.

I'm also a noob to turbo cars in general. You mention 05 and 06 has catted up-pipe. did they change that part for 07 and beyond? I ask because Im a new 07 lgt owner and want to protect my turbo, everything else as much as possible! Any insight would be helpful!

Archived