LegacyGT.com

Reliability Modifications

It's less about the top cover and more about the undercover -- it helps with pressure differentials which lend to more air going into the TMIC.

this is still have. lost a few pop-its and replaced with zip ties

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm of the belief that both the top and lower covers are functional to some extent, and maybe to a large extent, or Subaru wouldn't have included them.

My $0.02

could be, fair reasoning. as long as it wont affect my engine health w/ daily driving i'm leaving it off

What makes you think you're qualified to make these types of comments? You have no clue how drastically those pieces effect the motor's health/performance over time.

It's no wonder you'll be replacing your short block every 60k miles.

Was already worried about these at one point in time. A Subau Master Mechanic (and owner of the No 1 Subaru Performance shop on the Westcoast) has told me time and again -- Engine cover, undercover -- Neither make a huge difference. They're nice to have, keeps things clean, but not critical one way or the other.

I have had my engine cover removed since about 2 weeks after I bought the car. When did I buy it...that was late June 2004.

I haven't noticed any issues. The one benefit without it is, I can see everything on top of the engine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The top engine cover seals to the hood on the stock intercooler setup. That likely helps.

But if running aftermarket intercooler something sealing to the hood is likely better.

The under tray does help with airflow a bit but mostly the radiator. But the cars are far from overheating .

I feel the two covers are more for proformance than reliability .

As the n/a cars dont come with them.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

He's also had to rebuild a motor. Not saying there is any correlation, but..

I have always had mine on and I had to rebuild my motor. I had it on during a track day and the cooling was insufficient in the late afternoon heat.

The evidence that it doesn't really matter is with the wrx. Same intercooler and bigger turbo - no engine cover.

If Subaru designed their cars with such precision that something like an engine cover would determine if you needed a rebuild... Well almost every single legacy gt would be off the road by now.

My rebuild was an actual rebuild due to cracked ringland not wanting to rebuild because oil consumption was high.

lol thinking a shield will prevent a engine rebuild is totally grasping at straws.

i'm sure the oil filter has 99.999% more to do with it than a piece of plastic.

Not what I said, but :lol:

All the anecdotal evidence you guys want to provide and believe, feel free. What's it tell you that NA's don't come with these items? It's not without engineering and profitability that auto manufacturers do these things.

I'll stick by my story. They appear to be directly related to cooling, and motors require cooling last time I checked.

By design, the engine cover helps seal to the OEM TMIC. The bottom cover helps with air flow and keeps shit from getting your accessory belts and other shit dirty. Plus it gets you high when it melts after contacting your aftermarket unwrapped header.

i work on quite a few high mileage subarus and none have any issues with the front pulley.

i would recommend just keeping an eye on it.

Archived