LegacyGT.com

Diet/Workout Discussion Thread

Time to get my ass in gear and get serious about FITNESS! Booyah!

You're not the only one.. after I became pilot I moved to China and well.. when you have a lot of time on your hands and a lot of money and are around other pilots.. you pick up stuff.. like drinking the cheap beer :lol:

Okay I don't drink anymore (barely any at all) but I still have the souvenirs so to say.. I have the wish, but I lack the motivation :mad:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 1 of my return to boxing: 1 round = 3 mins, 30 sec resting interval

8 rounds Jumping Rope

6 rounds shadow boxing

4 rounds heavy bag

...2 rounds mitts

2 rounds speed bag

2 rounds headache bag

50 leg lifts

25 leg swings on Roman Chair

25 punching sit ups

Total time: 1:30

Total approx calories burned: 1100

Tomorrow off

Weds morn: weight training

Thurs morn: run

Thurs eve: boxing

Fri eve: boxing

Also adding a 2 block run on Saturday afternoon for the Running of the Reindeer followed by 2 hrs at boxing.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

I have a totally new found respect for Jumping Rope and Boxing. Anyone who thinks it's easy isn't doing enough :) We do alot of double unders for Crossfit. I definitely have a love/hate with them. As for the heavy bag it's a tremendous total body workout.

I have a totally new found respect for Jumping Rope and Boxing. Anyone who thinks it's easy isn't doing enough :) We do alot of double unders for Crossfit. I definitely have a love/hate with them. As for the heavy bag it's a tremendous total body workout.

nice! I have not mastered the double unders yet.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

ugh.. i hate those double unders. I haven't done them in a while and always hit myself in the shins and legs. I think the most I've ever been able to do in a row is like 10. :lol:loud

tomorrow, going to be rough. He let me take it fairly easy Mon night since it's been a year. That means, tomorrow, I'm going to get hit a lot and yelled at "harder more more!" and told I'm too fat and need a six pack as he walks around without his shirt, "I'm sixty! why you no six pack??" as he pokes you in your gut. Also be back to a sauna suit (which I detest!). So most likely it will be 10 rds of jumping rope (and i remember not that long ago I could go 30 mins straight without stopping), 6-8 rds shadow boxing with 3 lb weights, 6-8 rds on the heavy bag, 2-4 rds on the mitts, then speed bag, headache bag, stairs with a 25 lb weighted vest, 100 leg lifts and 50 roman chair lifts (or whatever they're called). Hopefully there will be more people there so I don't get the brunt of it. Misery loves company! But, I know i will have the best work out I've had in a year, even more than running a half marathon! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

for what it is worth, i have lost 50 lbs over the past 6 months. here is what i am doing.

i swim, m - w - f @ 5 am for about 30 - 45 minutes.

Breakfast - oatmeal and a banana. (Coffee - black)

Snack - either fig newton, granola bar or breakfast cookies.

Lunch - sandwich with chips. (ham, turkey, cheese and mayo on a bagel)

Snack - either fig newton, granola bar or breakfast cookies.

Dinner - Mainly something with chicken. Sometimes Pasta and meatballs.

a lot of water, no less than 64 oz a day. Took me a little bit to work up to this, but i think it is well worth it.

One thing, no beer and no fast food. I know this will be an issue for some, but it is worth it. I will work this back into what I eat, but again will take my time with this. When you go out to eat, you can still find good things to eat or ask them to alter what they have on the menu. For example no sauce on pasta.

Another thing, as you see above, snack snack snack. But make sure they are good for you. No vending machines.

I do not get hungry and that helps me stay away from the crap and take off the lbs.

Nice work!

The wife and I have gotten our asses back into the gym. Crazy the amount of strength you "lose" taking two months off... well, not so crazy I guess. I think it will come back quickly, just have to get the CNS firing all those muscle fibers again. We are currently about 50% of our previous 3x5rep max on squats and quite a bit closer on our bench, press, DL and power cleans.

I am going to try and continue the strength program with a "clean bulk" mentality, meaning very little weight gain but lots of recomp from fat to muscle.

It feels so good to be back in the saddle... goddamn winter is depressing!

I'm finishing off week 2 back in boxing training. I'm not able to go every day like I did when I first started long ago, so i know that is greatly hampering my gains/losses.

after 1 week back, I GAINED 2 lbs! was so frustrating but I knew I was retaining water like a camel! So back to sauna suits and garbage bags, long pants, hoodies, etc to sweat it out and get my metabolism going again. On Monday night, I FINALLY dropped 4 lbs (mostly all water weight). I'm watching what I eat right now, very strictly. Starting taking a Tbsp of apple cider vinegar in the morns and at night. it curbs my appetite (and tastes terrible!). I've stepped it up now to 2 Tbsp in morn and at night. Lean shake for lunch/meal and then a small dinner with veggies and protein after boxing. I didn't run outside this week, ended up on the elliptical in the gym instead. I over did it at boxing by running 30 sets of stairs with the 30 lb weight vest 2 days in a row and pretty much killed my quads. My left shoulder has also been tweaking and my right/left sides of my upper arms are bruised up from blocking.

Oh yes, also already got back into the ring and sparred 3 rounds last week. not sure when I will spar again, as I don't really want to be in Hawaii with a black eye. I do plan to go ahead with my original plans from way back when, and fight this coming fall. Season is almost over now so I'd be pushing it but will have plenty of time to be ready by next.

First race (5K) is Saturday morning so I'm super excited about that! I'm officially down 5 lbs in 10 days... got more to go. then leaning and building more muscle strength.

and how many calories a day are you consuming??

BTW...guess this is the new workout thread. guess DF had ditched us.....for now....:rolleyes:

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

agreed....Vortex has their own thread for diet and fitness why not us!

Have y'all noticed consistencies with TTPS (I just made that term up for "time to peak soreness" after weight training :) ) when working with traditionally fast or slow twitch groups?

For example, if I focus on shoulders I'll typically be sore - if I'm gonna get sore - between 24-36 hrs later. But calves usually take 48 hrs minimum. Soleus, specifically.

So the question gets really complex from there but the gist is - is TTPS a good indicator of the type of fiber predominate in that person (since everyone has a unique mix)?

Someone start another thread titled "fitness & workouts." I nominate c-lo, he can monitor it.

So I’ve hit a plateau and need some advice. I’ve worked out for 32 days in a row and counting as of today. I’ve gotten my weight down to 165lbs, but want to get it down to 155lbs. I’ve been at 165lbs. for two weeks now and have been +/- 1.5lb of that during this time, I weigh myself every morning before getting dressed on the wii scale so it records my weight for me. This is the first time since I started working out I’ve gone more than 2 weeks without seeing a 2-3lb drop. I know I’m gaining some muscle but my goal is getting weight down to 155lbs.

I’ve updated my eating habits since I started, every day I have a banana and 90 calorie 19g of carb granola bar. I drink 3 to 4 cups of tea while at work with no sugar Mon-Friday. For lunch I have a bowl of chunky’s soup and one turkey or roast beef sandwich. For Dinner I have Chicken and steamed vegatables two nights a week, fish filets with steamed vegatbles 1 night a week a boston market turkey or pot roast dinner two nights a week while my fiance’ is at work and normally a pasta, low on the pasta heavy on the meat sauce one night a week. After eating dinner I religiously will have one of the following banana, or black berries or snap peas or grapes as a desert and a 1/3 cup of popcorn with only salt added to it. I only drink water for beverage at home, no sugar drinks ever, including alcohol.

As for working out, I do 4.5miles on elliptical and then run 1.25miles on treadmill on dedicated ‘Run’ days, which is every other day for a week. Then switch to running 4miles on treadmill and go 1.5 miles on elliptical for a week and alternate. On days between dedicated run days I have my ‘Lift’ days. I do 6 sets of 10 of bench, triceps, bar pull down, shoulders, biceps, squats, leg lifts. On ‘Lift’ days my routine consists of doing two sets of all my lifts then run 1.25 miles on treadmill, then do two more sets of all my lifts and do 1.25 miles on the elliptical, then finish with my last two sets.

What do you guys think I could do to my diet or exercising to get past this plateau and start losing weight again? Any criticism on my routine would be appreciated.

I'll point out just the obvious stuff I see -

6 sets each = hi risk of overtraining, well beyond what you need for muscle development at this stage. I suggest breaking this in two, a upper & lower body day each.

After 30 days you've already gotten the low-hanging fruit. Gains come slower now, that's just how it works.

The scale won't be an effective tool for you anymore, you need to move into body comp testing to track gains from here out.

Oh, and the really obvious, time to shock yourself, you're getting used to the routine.

tommyp do you know how many calories you are taking in right now? much like your exercise program needs to change, so does your caloric intake. quality of foods is pretty important too.

if I'm understanding your workout routine it does sound like you are constantly moving. and if trying to lose weight this is good vs. resting between sets. Agree with boulderguy you may need to switch it up, but I'm pointing fingers at your diet. If you don't know how many calories you are taking in then you need to track it for a few days.

Have y'all noticed consistencies with TTPS (I just made that term up for "time to peak soreness" after weight training :) ) when working with traditionally fast or slow twitch groups?

For example, if I focus on shoulders I'll typically be sore - if I'm gonna get sore - between 24-36 hrs later. But calves usually take 48 hrs minimum. Soleus, specifically.

So the question gets really complex from there but the gist is - is TTPS a good indicator of the type of fiber predominate in that person (since everyone has a unique mix)?

Someone start another thread titled "fitness & workouts." I nominate c-lo, he can monitor it.

:lol: thanks man. wow I'm so out of touch on my slow twitch/fast twitch muscle fibers.....where I work now it's all about getting people healthy. train a few runners but fast/twitch slow twitch has not been in my vocabulary for some time.

I have lost 15lbs since Jan 5.

Jan 5 was when I cut out alcohol entirely.

No change in exercise, and a better diet that basically involves no over-eating.

6 foot 2 here with a relatively light skeleton, 34 years old, and I have seen 189lbs for the first time in 6-7 years.

Moral of the story, when you are putting in way more calories than you spend, you will add fat. I sure did.

I'm waiting for the weather to get warmer so I can clean up my garage and weight center and really get back in shape. My garage has been a mess all winter and the going in to the garage when it's freezing has been less than inticing.:lol:

I'm excited to get down to 180-185 and then start adding healthy mass again.

I want to look like I was when I got married 9 years ago.:lol:

I'm more endurance machine than mesomorph so adding muscle mass is a challenge & my default without exercise is to lose weight.

A big key for me was learning how certain muscle groups respond better to different regimens along the lines of fast or slow twitch. I got much better results once I paid attn to that.

For example,

fast twitch areas - shoulders, chest, back, upper arms, upper legs - with weight training I get best results reaching failure between 8-12 reps.

Slow twitch - calves, abs, lower back, forearms - I shoot to fail between 16-18 reps.

I just returned to the gym a few weeks ago, laid off since Sept.- my longest since college so freakin' everything hurts ;) Seems like my upper legs are responding more like slow twitch lately but it's just a thought.

I'll point out just the obvious stuff I see -

6 sets each = hi risk of overtraining, well beyond what you need for muscle development at this stage. I suggest breaking this in two, a upper & lower body day each.

After 30 days you've already gotten the low-hanging fruit. Gains come slower now, that's just how it works.

The scale won't be an effective tool for you anymore, you need to move into body comp testing to track gains from here out.

Oh, and the really obvious, time to shock yourself, you're getting used to the routine.

Thanks for the advice. I will break leg exercises off completely on to my dedicated ‘Run’ days. I will also try reducing my set load to 4 sets of 10 adding more weight to each exercise instead of doing 6 sets. I have not been enlightened on how to do a body composition test but have heard it mentioned is there any devices I could get for home usage to calculate this? If so, got any recommendations on which one to get? As for mixing it up since the weather is finally starting to warm up I can start running outside.

tommyp do you know how many calories you are taking in right now? much like your exercise program needs to change, so does your caloric intake. quality of foods is pretty important too.

if I'm understanding your workout routine it does sound like you are constantly moving. and if trying to lose weight this is good vs. resting between sets. Agree with boulderguy you may need to switch it up, but I'm pointing fingers at your diet. If you don't know how many calories you are taking in then you need to track it for a few days.

I target taking in 1500 calories a day and 6 out of 7 days a week I’m at or under that. I normally have one reward day where I may eat a larger dinner than usual but on that day I wouldn’t be hitting 2000 calories, likely between 1700 and 1800 calories. I also target no more than 100g of carbs a day, and typically keep my carb intake at 80g a day. My meals and snacks are aimed to be high in protein, high in fiber, reasonably low on carbs. I also cut off on eating completely 3 hours before going to bed.

Simplest way to do body composition is have a trainer at your gym do the pinch-tests, they'e reasonably accurate & usually $20 or so. There are some [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-510W-Composition-Monitor-Scale/dp/B001IV61J4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1300484751&sr=8-2]scales[/ame] out there that can do it too but they're affected by water & salt in your body so not always accurate.

If I were your trainer I'd first ask what's the difference between 155# & 165# to you? How tall are you? What are your activities (I'm guessing you're tuning up for summer in CO, is there a goal)? The biggest indicator would be your body comp, I think that's your next big question.

Otherwise I think you might benefit from going deeper into a discipline rather than so much cross-training. So for instance cut your weight time down to 2-3 sets of each & ramp up the running to include a few hi-mileage days per week.

Regardless with the amount of focus you have going you'll definitely get there, it's just a question of how quickly. Sounds like you're doing some good work.

and how many calories a day are you consuming??

BTW...guess this is the new workout thread. guess DF had ditched us.....for now....:rolleyes:

probably close to 1200 cal/day. I know, doesn't seem much and I'm replacing much of my daily intake with protein. Chicken, fish, tofu, etc. I realized I wasn't eating well enough to sustain the burning of massive calories. Since I took so much time off from my work outs, i kinda wanted to shock my system and metabolism for this first month and then dial it back down. Maybe not the best way? It certainly creates results. T-minus 11 days until Hawaii.

Nice job working toward your goals AK.

Spring has hit me full force... I love this feeling.

Maybe we should change the name to "Diet/Workout Thread" rather than "...Advice Needed"?

Thanks, and .... done.

Well I haven't lost any damn weight. Arghhhhhhh!!!!

Doing at a minimum 30 minutes of cardio, plus resistance/weight training 3-4 times per week. 5'10" and 213-215 depending on what day it is. Funny thing is I can for example do as many or more pull ups than I did when I was on active duty in the Marine Corps, and my endurance seems to be just as good. I can't figure this out, the other day I spent about 50 minutes doing cardio and burned around 400-500 calories, wasn't even very tired after I got done, and then did a max set of chin ups (18 for me right now) plus five more sets of 10 reps. Then I did dips, a whole shit load of them, a bunch of core exercises, and finished off with some work on the bench press.

I do this kind of shit all the time, yet can't lose any weight, and still have the makings of a slight gut. Turning 30 sucks, because your metabolism slows down, you don't heal as fast (as my L5/S1 all about that...), and you can't say you're in your 20's anymore.

Archived