LegacyGT.com

Diet/Workout Discussion Thread

update:

I am at a steady 117 lbs now, dropped to 116.4 after my work out but that's due to water weight. I had a BMI test done this morning and resulted in 22% body fat based on 119 lb (clothed). I have a lean body mass of 92.92 lbs which actually ends up putting me at 79.4% lean body mass = 20.6% body fat. I want to drop down to 18% body fat and 114 lb.

They put me on a heavy weights strength program for my morning routine to try out for next 4 weeks, 1600 cal diet and I think I'm gonna be able to hit that over the next 30-60 days.

dang. this makes me sad... :( damn full time work. Gotta start all over again! all that hard work and now back to the beginning. Lost a lot of muscle over the winter. Heading back into the gym and trying to eat healthier as I have time. My cardio totally sucks right now and I really need to get out and run! Signed up for the Warrior Dash in Honolulu March 24! I'm committed now! Plane tix are bought and now I'm back in the gym. Running, boxing, etc. My coach wants me ready to fight April at the earliest, but I'm looking more for July.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone has any feedback on GNC's Ripped vitapak program ? Seems to be a legit pre-workout supplement and I got it on sale for $54 but I have 2nd thoughts now. It still seems expensive for a 30pak deal.

well, that and it does have some amino acids like l-glutamine and L- carnitine, fat burning stuff (green tea extract among others). I suck on supplements in general, even basic multivitamins so it looked like a decent, easy pre-workout supplement for lazy people like me :)

Not to criticize anyone's experience but try it for a week, then do the same without it, decide for yourself if there's a $50 difference.

I've done supplements out the yingyang, the only things I really feel are B12, caffeine & creatine.

Green tea extract = caffeine

I've done supplements out the yingyang, the only things I really feel are B12, caffeine & creatine.

Green tea extract = caffeine

that makes sense since B12 is essentially an activator for cellular metabolism while creatine will help to elevate ATP levels for your muscles. and caffeine, as we know is a stimulant, but i wouldn't really recommend taking copious amounts of it prior to a workout since it is a calcium chelator and can lower calcium levels in your muscles to prevent you from getting the most out of your workouts (but, ymmv, some people love to have coffee before working out cause they feel more alert etc).

as for the vitapak: from a medical and scientific standpoint, i don't particularly see the how the vitapak is superior to a regular multivitamin + a B6, B12 supplement. but you may experience a difference yourself and if it does help, then don't let me stop you.

as for amino acids, i assume you are on a pretty intense workout regimen and most likely using protein already which should contain those amino acids as well.

unfortunately there is no shortcut to health or fitness but it's good that you are taking an interest in nutrition and looking at supplements.

I'm almost a couple months into my new fitness regiment and diet. Really excited with my results and as far as supplements go, I'm doing the following (no expert just more info).

I take Alive! Multi Vitamins that are a "whole food energizer" from a local natural foods store, and they "should" be absorbed better from my research. Although you do have to take 3 rather than a single one daily. I also am on week two of Max Muscle's FBX pre-workout supplement with caffeine, creatine, glutamine and other stuff in the mix, and am happy with it. After a month not using it when I started my program, I have noticed better recovery and improved results from my training. The alertness does help for me since I'm in the gym 5 days a week at 5:30am, 3 days cardio and resistance, and straight cardio on the other two (no FBX on those days).

Diet and water intake are my biggest factors for success. I've dropped 3" from my waistline and 14 pounds in 5 1/2 weeks. Gallon of water a day is miraculous!

I went into this knowing I needed to retune my body and also that it's work and takes diligence to monitor your food intake and stick with your plan. 5 hours of cardio a week is a big part of my transformation and in month 3, I plan to get to 7 hours a week.

I really need to do something to keep myself more active. I'm not fat or out of shape -- I stand at 5'9" and weight in at about 140 lbs, so I'm built on the small side. I used to be an avid runner and mountain biker, but I haven't had the time as of late.

I'm a recent college grad and I commute into Manhattan every day for work. I'm up at 6am and I don't get home until about 730 pm. I walk to the train every day, and I walk around quite a bit once I'm in the city, but it's still not enough.

I'm very strict with my diet, though. I took an array of food science courses that were very eye-opening and taught me a lot about how nutrients, amino acids, carbs, lipids, proteins, etc. work in the body. I know which foods to eat when and which foods to stay away from. I'm also pretty picky about where my food comes from. Between Food Inc, The World According to Monsanto, The Future of Food, In Defense of Food, The Omnivores Dilemma, and other documentaries/books I've learned a wealth of information about agriculture and food production in this country -- and most of it is terrible! So I make sure I know where my food comes from, and in the summer we have a garden and grow as much as we can. I'm also fortunate to have lots of good local farmers' markets around where I live. I believe that keeping healthy truly starts with a good diet and a solid understanding of how the human body processes various food/ingredients.

I've got some friends who are big into martial arts. Given my build/interests, I've considered starting BJJ or Krav Maga. Yes, I know they're very different fighting styles, but they're the most interesting to me (and best suited for my size). There are some good gyms near where I live and by my work, so I plan to drop in on a class to see how I like it. The thing I like about both fighting styles is they give you a good cardio workout, and that's something I really enjoy. Krav has the added benefit of also teaching you how to become a walking weapon, while also keeping you in good shape.

I've been on the 24 day advocare challenge. Day 15? Can't remember. But impressed with their supplement packs and system. I've decided to seek my personal training certification as well. :) possible new career path for me or at least part time.

I really need to do something to keep myself more active. I'm not fat or out of shape -- I stand at 5'9" and weight in at about 140 lbs, so I'm built on the small side. I used to be an avid runner and mountain biker, but I haven't had the time as of late..

why walk to the train? why not bike?

[quote=AKLGT;3777269 I've decided to seek my personal training certification as well. :) possible new career path for me or at least part time.

good for you. consider doing group training or bootcamps. more bang for your $ vs. trying to do individual sessions. Build into those from your bootcamps.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Ya I'm looking at more motivational coaching and guidance as well as professional work out buddy. I wouldn't feel confident or comfortable labeling myself as a true fitness expert since I'm learning myself. I prefer to know the industry and have in depth knowledge before I tout myself an "expert" will be looking into food science and nutritional courses. But mostly on the side for now while I work this next month. C-lo will try to pm you on thoughts....

assume RJ walks to the train because he is in corporate business attire and riding a bike isn't as practical: having to lug a spare pair of shoes and bringing a helmet etc is kind of cumbersome if his walk in only 10 mins or something.

assume RJ walks to the train because he is in corporate business attire and riding a bike isn't as practical: having to lug a spare pair of shoes and bringing a helmet etc is kind of cumbersome if his walk in only 10 mins or something.

eh...Plenty of people do it. especially if they can find a way to shower, whether their office has one or a local gym next door will let them. Nothing is too cumbersome if you really want to do it.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

oh definitely. another one of my colleagues at the group practice i worked at, had them install a shower at the new office. he would bike about 20 miles to work, had a wardrobe of work clothes at the office, lol. probably a unique situation since they weren't in an actual office building.

nice! good work.

<<that key board is in the way:)

• 4 months later...

Where did everyone go?

The wife and I have still been going to the gym ~5 days a week. Since May we have been in a cutting phase, still doing the same weight lifting program but with two accessory exercises (dips & pulls/chins), cardio all 5 days, and probably the biggest change: really watching what we eat.

For the food stuff we have been using MyFitnessPal an app/website that is really good for tracking your meals. People have asked why I would torture myself with counting calories... it's really not like that. If anything, it just makes you aware of what you are eating, and what you do with that info is completely up to you. We eat better quality food than ever before and while I still need to exert self control when it comes to sweets/snacks, I never go hungry by any definition. I came up with some guidelines for myself while setting up my diet template:

1. Figure out daily calories to maintain body weight (can cover this in more detail later). Try to stay below this number by ~300-500 calories on average, not including calories burned from exercise.

2. Of the food I intake, I must get 145g MINIMUM of protein and 75g MINIMUM of dietary fat. This is ~1g of protein and ~.5g of dietary fat per pound of my personal lean body mass.

3. The protein should come from whole food sources and should be a varying mix of complete animal and vegetable proteins. Whey/Casein protein shakes to supplement are okay, but should be a SUPPLEMENT.

4. The dietary fats should be as close to 100% mono and polyunsaturated fats as possible. Saturated fat should be limited to <30g per day. This is a lower priority rule though since most things with good fats also contain some bad fats. No sense throwing the baby out with the bathwater, but it is important to maximize the good/bad ratio, and avoid Trans fats all together. We also take fish oil and flaxseed oil supplements.

5. After the protein and fat goals have been reached or exceeded, carbs can be used to make up the extra calories. Since I am cutting, I try to limit sugars to <30g per day. I try to make the majority of my carb intake from sources with high amounts of soluble or insoluble fiber, and less starch/gluten. Same principle as the fats though. Towards this end, we have recently started making our own whole wheat bread with a ton of extras... I'd be happy to share the recipe with anyone interested.

Over the last two years the weightlifting program and the bulking and cutting phases I have accomplished the following:

Started in August 2010 - 160lbs @ ~22% body fat (125lbs lean, 35lbs fat)

Bulked until February of 2012 with a few breaks - 194lbs @ ~22% body fat (150lbs lean, 44lbs fat)

Current Progress (cutting since May 2012) - 173lbs @ 16% body fat (145lbs lean, 28lbs fat)

I expect to keep this cut going through to the beginning of fall and then start bulking up again. Until then, I am super happy with the changes I've made, and look forward to even more progress.

^^^ what do you fight at, and what do you carry around the bulk of the year? Just curious.

I've got a birthday coming up that I'm not real thrilled about, so I thought I'd set a goal for myself that I've never achieved. This year: one-armed pull-ups. Posting here is fitting seeing as how my contributions to the beer-snob thread aren't helping in the weight department. So I'm cutting as well, which I don't really mind most days.

I'm able to get 4 rounds of 4 w/ 80 lbs. on the belt, and can get numerous rounds of two w/40 lbs on the weight-assisted pull-up "machine." Any tips or recommendations?

Archived