LegacyGT.com

Diet/Workout Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
awesome! I plan to try out bikram yoga when i get back next week. Hear it's a fantastic work out! all I've been doing it seems on my trip is eat. :(

Bah! It's a vacation so have fun. I don't know which form (style?) of yoga we were doing. I'm not sure if it was the hot yoga or not but they did have the heater cooking away and I most deffo worked up a sweat.

A what??? 202 miles? Are u nuts??? Lol!

And its official. Slotted to have my first fight July 22 against the other lady in the gym. Gotta drop to 114/115 lbs. Will be a pretty tough fight. She will have 4 fights on me and I have none. But judging from our first spar encounter (and only a few days back from taking a yr off), I did pretty well. Most everyone in the gym stopped to watch because we're already close in size and weight. She has more endurance than I right now but that will change. She's smaller and quick while I'm still quick but much more powerful. I could probably really hurt her if I land a kidney shot. But this next fight is against a lady who has already won a title and at 110 lbs. I think she will have the size advantage but the other has more experience. Regardless, my first fight will not be an easy one like I hoped. :lol: 4 rounds, 2 min rounds. Going to be pretty exciting fight I think! Definitely a great match up and we'll most likely be the main event. :)

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

202 miles is a long way to drive let alone run, good luck with that Naylor? How many days is that spread out?

A what??? 202 miles? Are u nuts??? Lol!

And its official. Slotted to have my first fight July 22 against the other lady in the gym. Gotta drop to 114/115 lbs. Will be a pretty tough fight. She will have 4 fights on me and I have none. But judging from our first spar encounter (and only a few days back from taking a yr off), I did pretty well. Most everyone in the gym stopped to watch because we're already close in size and weight. She has more endurance than I right now but that will change. She's smaller and quick while I'm still quick but much more powerful. I could probably really hurt her if I land a kidney shot. But this next fight is against a lady who has already won a title and at 110 lbs. I think she will have the size advantage but the other has more experience. Regardless, my first fight will not be an easy one like I hoped. :lol: 4 rounds, 2 min rounds. Going to be pretty exciting fight I think! Definitely a great match up and we'll most likely be the main event. :)

Definitely get this fight up on the internets for us to watch. Sounds like it will be an entertaining bout. Who wants an easy fight anyway, a victory over a worthy competitor will feel a 100x better than a win over a bum but obviously those wins don't come as cheap to say the least. Don't worry about your opponent too much, be focused on what you can control. Train to win each time you hit the gym, train like a champion. The only concern you should have going in is about how bad you're going to hurt your opponent when she takes a punch from you when you are at your peak. Good luck, when's the fight?

Small update, I fell off the wagon just a little last week eating out 4 days, but I still worked out. Made up for it this week going 7+ miles on dedicated run days and 4.5miles on lift days. Just weighed in at 158lbs, new record for me. 3lbs away from hitting my goal, I should be at 155 sometime this week, I will try like a possessed man to see that goal achieved. So stoked, I will have lost 41lbs when I hit that marker, pretty nuts. Thanks for all the advice goes, definitely has helped me get to this marker, other than what I've read in this thread I've done next to no research. :redface:

LOL! there is great advice and knowledge in this thread and this board.

I have GOT to get back into my running. I did get an avg of 3 mile runs while I was gone in Hawaii. I got a shorter 2.8 mile run in earlier today because I have to rebuild my stamina. My first half will May 28 and a few 3-5 milers before. With the running, gym time, and boxing, I should be able to hit that 114 goal. My focus is getting this damn six pack! My entire life I have tried so hard to get it and never could, but this time I'm much smarter about it, more disciplined and much better condition! it's almost there! So, keep on building muscle so I can lean out more and lose the body fat in my core and under arms (those 2 pesky places!).

Thats awesome. My buddy just had his first mma fight, training out of Team Quest. Even after all his training and sparring he still had a hard time controlling his cardio and not gassing out early. Hard not to let the adrenaline take over when its show time.

The race next week will start Friday morning and end Saturday afternoon. fortunately, I dont run all 200 miles, my 3 legs of the race add up to about 25 miles. My second leg will be around 1am through some hills.

I tweaked my back friday night deadlifting. :lol: its going to be a looong two days of running.

I'm a lucky guy. My wife rocks the six pack even after having 4 kids. :)

Jealous! I'm told that once you get it, it's much easier to maintain or get back. But very hard to obtain from never having one. Not sure if that's true, but seems like it in the gym. I have plenty of eye candy there since coach is such a big proponent of them. Lots of very fit guys, some fat ones getting into shape, mostly larger women of all shapes and sizes and a few like 4 or 5 that are in shape.

And how long is each of your legs? Man, I don't think I could do it. I barely can finish a half and then do it again the next day?? No way! I need a week of rest!

So completely over did at the gym yesterday. I got my new neoprene sauna suit that I've been rocking. Just shy of 2 hrs boxing and then did 2 hrs on free weights, core, arms and back. Today, I hurt bad! Was planning to go to boxing but my back and shoulders are so sore I don't have full range of motion. I need to do some massage therapy and get my back adjusted. Soaking in epson salt baths every night helps but damn! Ooooow!

been doing some research since I took today off from the gym (unintentionally). Going to seriously get my swim on. I want a swimmers body, totally lean. If I do swimming, running, weights and boxing, how the hell am I NOT going to lean out??? My main issue right now is my shoulder and back tweaks. Found some articles on stretching and building that muscle. Tomorrow, going to check out Alaska Club's pool since they have a free pass. weights mid morn, a quick 5K run after, rest up a bit and take care of errands, then I'll head to boxing and swimming after. This time though, I won't be doing 2 hour stints at each! LOL. and maybe won't go hard on the weights like I did yesterday.

Balance your Blades

Flexibility Training

started swimming last night for an hour with my buddy, Brett. He's trying to talk me into a super expensive club membership. it is pretty freaking nice, but.... lots of money. Today, went to lapswim at APU for $5. saltwater pool. not anything as nice as the club, but it's $5 so.... ya.

only managed 45 mins of pure lap swimming. I sorta figured out that turn thingy you do at the end of the lane so you don't have to stop, but it needs a lot of work. Heading back in the morn before work. :D going to try to hit the pool 3 times a week.

After, I went to boxing and proceeded to go 6 rounds sparring one of the coaches. WOW! I learned a lot! Yesterday, sparred 4 rounds with one of the Jr Golden Glove Champs. Damn kid is fast, endless energy and about a third of my age and bigger than me. LOL. But coach told me today he wants me sparring every day until I can handle 10 rounds so that way, 4 rounds in a match is nothing.

I also finally broke out of the 121's and into 120 yesterday and down to 119 today. Woot!

• 2 weeks later...

2 week update. Last Monday sparred a guy 6 rds in my neoprene suit. Poor choice as I didn't hydrate enough or eat enough to keep me energized. At end of rd 2 I suffered an asthma attack that sent me into a panic attack (for a few seconds until I reminded myself to calm down and slsow my breathing). Once I got the breathing under control, went another 4 rds. Towards the end dof rd 5 however, he hit me with a body shot to the kidney that literally made me want to puke and brought tears to my eyes but I kept going. Last round was pretty much me getting pummeled over and over so much that I think I suffered a mild concussion because it sent me out for 2 days after.

This week, I was out Monday and Tuesday being sick and slept for 48 hrs. I needed it. Got back to the gym yesterday. First hit an hour on the free weights and core, squats, lunges, legs. Then hit boxing gym for 2 hrs including sparring a 10 yr old whom I felt bad beating up this kid. But these guys don't have a youth program here so they fly to WA to compete and win (because they're sparring the adults, not just kids). 3 days off and I was back to 118 where I've now been stuck the past week. Sparred 4 rds tonight with another lady and supposed to spar her 6 rds tomorrow night. I had no gas tonight. Hoping tomorrow I eat more and have better energy. I let her (new girl) come at me as hard as she can. She got a few good ones in tonight but I'm pretty quick and fiesty, so let her wear herself out swinging and missing. She got a pretty decent body shot in but didn't really phase me after that hit I took last week. Just reminded me to roll better and watch her left hook she liked.

So I am stuck at 118 right now. Closer to my goal and still no damn six pack. I am now completely gearing up for running season as today I registered for my summer running seaspn:

5/14 5k

6/3 12k

6/4 relay for life (signed up for at least 2 1 hr stints - looking for sponsors who want to donate too ;) )

6/11 5 mi

6/18 half marathon

8/21 half marathon

8/28 16 mi trail run

There is also a 10k or something end of sep and the zombie half marathon in october.

• 2 weeks later...

update:

I am at a steady 117 lbs now, dropped to 116.4 after my work out but that's due to water weight. I had a BMI test done this morning and resulted in 22% body fat based on 119 lb (clothed). I have a lean body mass of 92.92 lbs which actually ends up putting me at 79.4% lean body mass = 20.6% body fat. I want to drop down to 18% body fat and 114 lb.

They put me on a heavy weights strength program for my morning routine to try out for next 4 weeks, 1600 cal diet and I think I'm gonna be able to hit that over the next 30-60 days.

I'm a lucky guy. My wife rocks the six pack even after having 4 kids. :)

pics or ban

:hide:

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

• 8 months later...

Interesting summary of sport science studies from 2011, written by a Dr. Jonathan Sullivan, a contributor to the Starting Strength community/forum.

As a side-note: the wife and I are continuing to train at ~90% of our 5RM for the squat, bench, press, deadlift and power clean. We have been doing the program for about a year now, with a few lapses in the three-day-per-week schedule. I have gained 28-30lbs since my 160lb minimum (6' frame, started as "skinny fat"). According to my home scale I have probably gained ~2% bodyfat, which means ~10lbs of the 30lbs I gained is fat. This was expected and necessary to generate the conditions for muscle growth. On the flip side, I have gained ~20lbs of muscle mass, most noticeably in my legs, back, and shoulders. The size of my jeans has more or less stayed the same at a 31 waist, although I have switched from regular to relaxed fit to give some more room for my thighs.

As the winter bulking season comes to a close we are going to continue training our core lifts and add in some accessory work, dips and pull-ups, along with cardio. We are going to pull back on calories slightly, to just less than maintenance levels. This will result in a tapering-off of my workout-to-workout progress on my lifts, but should allow me to keep most of my strength while improving form and cutting some of the fat. This is not ideal for training strength, but I like to feel good when I go to the beach. :)

Archived