LegacyGT.com

Diet/Workout Discussion Thread

Ugh, I was wincing in pain just reading your post. It sounds like you have the right attitude though, I'm sure you can overcome this obstacle. Keep us in the loop with your rehab, and best wishes for a speedy recovery!

I went and saw an orthopedic surgeon today and he said that I have partially torn my MCL ligament and that my ACL felt a little loose. I won’t need surgery to repair the MCL as blood flows through that ligament and it will heal over the next 6-8 weeks. But I have to go back next week to get an MRI done on the knee and find out if I damaged the ACL, which does not have blood flowing through it and would require surgery if it’s damaged. I got a huge bulky brace to wear that at least allows me to drive my car, clutch leg didn’t feel good at all prior to the brace to drive.

But now that I can walk without much pain from the brace I plan on resuming upper body lifting starting tomorrow. Can’t wait to get back in the gym, I’ll be grinning ear to ear once I start my workout again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went over my MRI results today, I have not done any damage to my ACL. Just have the partially torn MCL. I will be walking with my brace for another couple weeks but have been cleared to start walking slowly on the treadmill. So I did today after lifting just for 10 minutes but it was very emotionally positive to get back on the machine.

I have added noticeable weight for my upper body lifts and done 2 less reps in my sets while adding 1 more set to my upper body workout since the injury. I know that my training prior to the injury of doing a lot of reps built some strength as I have been able to add 20lbs. to my bench press can do 3 sets of 10, 4th set at 8 reps where I am tapped on that last rep.

For my triceps I have added 20lbs, using the rope on the machine doing 4 sets of 10. Biceps I have added another 5lbs per dumb bell. doing 4 sets of 10. Shoulders I have added 5lbs per dumb bell doing 3 sets of 10, 4th set at 8. And on the bar pull down excercise I have added 20lbs doing 4 sets of 10. Basically by the time I get to my last rep on all 4 sets I'm just about to fail. I've been noticing some more definition already from the new routine. I think I'm going to do this for another couple weeks and then go to 5 sets of 8, increasing the weight again. Going to be walking on the treadmill every day, in 2 weeks if the knee is feeling good I will be increasing to a fast walk, do that 2 weeks and then start doing a slow jog and just keep working my way back to form in 2 week intervals.

• 1 month later...

bumping this thread. New year and new goals.

I've started back on my healthy living kick once again as I kinda was far too lax over the holidays due to working and time constraints. Now, I'm focusing on getting back into training before the big running season starts here. I've looked at various different work outs and things I can do since I have weird hours and limited times. I've decided to do some swimming, and hoping to get in 30 mins - 1 hr 3 times a week, then some running 2 - 3 times a week as well.

Anyone else?

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

My training really fell off during the holidays. I spent January trying to maintain my strength and cut back on food so I can trim up for the springtime. I am going to try and be more focused with it this month although my wife hasn't been to into the gym recently which really makes it a grind to go with any consistency.

I'm still at Crossfit. I've been doing it 4-5 times a week since January 2010. I definitely let my diet go a bit in December but I'm down to 153 (from my original 178) and my bodyfat is a bit over 12%. I'm trying to get my BF down to 10%. I'm enter into a Toughmudder competition which looks absolutely crazy. That competition is the end of April so I'm trying to up some of my cardio since the course is about 10 miles long :-(

I'd love to join our local cross fit gym....too damn expensive for me right now
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I hear ya! I'm lucky. Where I work they have a gym and we actually have a Crossfit instructor five days a week - all for the low price of $35 a month. It's really a great benefit, plus I drive 60 miles each way to work and it gives me an excuse to get there early and beat traffic (classes are 7am).

I'm still at Crossfit. I've been doing it 4-5 times a week since January 2010. I definitely let my diet go a bit in December but I'm down to 153 (from my original 178) and my bodyfat is a bit over 12%. I'm trying to get my BF down to 10%. I'm enter into a Toughmudder competition which looks absolutely crazy. That competition is the end of April so I'm trying to up some of my cardio since the course is about 10 miles long :-(

that's awesome. I think the gym here at the mall offers a crossfit program too. I should go down there real quick and check out what they have.

Ugh, I really need to join the gym behind work. The only thing holding me back right now is I want to pay off this month's bills and file my taxes and such then join up. And when I do, I want to spend a little more $$$ for some personal training. I really don't know the specifics on what to do and how to do it. I can literally walk to the place seeing as it's across a parking lot from my work so I don't have that excuse. And I think they let you sign up for free if a member refers you. I work with 3 or 4 people who go there so that's a plus. Just need to get my ass over there.

Its been a couple months since posting in the thread. The MCL tear is coming along in the rehab process. I wasn’t able to run for a month after tearing the ligament but kept lifting and since the beginning of January I have been working out harder than ever. I gained 3lbs during the month I didn’t run. But have lost that and then some, am down to 170 according to the scale this morning.

I am actually running faster and a longer distance now than I ever did before. I have been running 3.75-4.1 miles on the treadmill in 35minutes over the course of the last month depending on how I feel every other day. Been doing six sets of 10 and 8 reps depending on the lift exercises I’m doing on my dedicated lift days. In addition to doing more sets on lift days I am running 1.5miles after doing my first 3 sets of lifts, then do my last 3 sets after the short run. Been running every day, 10-12 days straight of working out then I take 2 days off to rest my body completely, basically giving my body a day off from a dedicated run day and lift day. In addition to the workout I have targeted keeping my calorie intake at 1500calories a day.

My typical day of eating consists of having a whole wheat bagel in the morning with fat free cream cheese(300 calories) on it and a bottle of water. At lunch I have a turkey sandwich on whole wheat and a banana or apple(350calories), or a Boston Market Frozen Turkey dinner (350calories). For dinner I have been eating a lot of fish, probably 3 nights a week. The fish I’ve been getting has next to no calories, in two large filets there is (240calories) and is good source of protein at night after dinner. The other 4 nights I have chicken stir fry, spaghetti with little noodles and lots of ground beef meat sauces or something in general that has a good source of protein and that is healthy. After dinner I typically will have a banana and some black berries or a small apple as a snack cutting off any food intake 2 hours prior to hitting the sack. Goal is within another 4-6weeks to have my weight down to 159lbs or less. We will see how it goes.

I definitely let my diet go a bit in December but I'm down to 153 (from my original 178) and my bodyfat is a bit over 12%. I'm trying to get my BF down to 10%.

How did you have your body fat measured? Once you get down below 10%, skin fold and electrical impedance methods can grossly over-estimate body percentage when compared to hydrostatic body fat testing. For example, my hand held electrical impedance meter never read lower than 8.8% body fat for me, but I recently had hydrostatic body fat testing done and found out that I was actually only 5.9% body fat.

I don't really even want to know my actual body fat. I'm sure it would depress me into a terrible starvation or obsessive work out plan.

Got up this morn for a short work out. Speed bag, heavy bag, headache bag, pull ups, weights and leg lifts all in my home gym. :)

We use the calipers at my gym. I think they're pretty accurate. I've compared that with our electronic one and they're pretty close. The only problem with measuring Bodyfat is it's very dependent on what you ate the night before, how much water you have in your system etc... We measure ours once a week, same day, same time to keep it as close as possible.

We use the calipers at my gym. I think they're pretty accurate. I've compared that with our electronic one and they're pretty close. The only problem with measuring Bodyfat is it's very dependent on what you ate the night before, how much water you have in your system etc... We measure ours once a week, same day, same time to keep it as close as possible.

Electrical impedance is especially variable depending on your body's level of hydration. My handheld electrical impedance meter results can vary 3 to 4%.

The accuracy of skinfold calipers also depends on the person taking the measurements and the fact that the formulas used to calculate BF percentage from skinfold measurements are based on "normal" people and may overestimate BF in fit people and underestimate it in fat people.

That's why hydrostatic testing is the best, but it's expensive. They weigh you, then submerge you and weigh you underwater to determine your lean mass. You're supposed to exhale all the air from your lungs. The lowest reading is what is used because that represents you getting the maximum amount of air out of your lungs.

well, I stopped into the "Dome" here. It's a giant inflatable building that hosts the only indoor running track and field. Think I'm going to sign up soon so I can start training and getting back into running condition. I had a shoot on Friday and the photog wants to do some more physical type concepts but will require me to get int better shape than my current lackadaisical condition and actually get majorly toned up. So figured, it will probably take a good 4-6 weeks to drop some of the extra "softness" and regain some muscle tone.

Electrical impedance is especially variable depending on your body's level of hydration. My handheld electrical impedance meter results can vary 3 to 4%.

The accuracy of skinfold calipers also depends on the person taking the measurements and the fact that the formulas used to calculate BF percentage from skinfold measurements are based on "normal" people and may overestimate BF in fit people and underestimate it in fat people.

That's why hydrostatic testing is the best, but it's expensive. They weigh you, then submerge you and weigh you underwater to determine your lean mass. You're supposed to exhale all the air from your lungs. The lowest reading is what is used because that represents you getting the maximum amount of air out of your lungs.

Thank you SJ

Subiedad....where did you hear that BF depends on what you ate the night before?

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

According to my trainer if you use the handheld device it can vary depending on water intake and how closely to the measurement you ate. I do know that day to day mine fluctuated with the handheld one. The calipers are very dependent on who is taking your measurement.

sactojesse is correct on the best way to get a true measurement. For now I'm happy that mine dropped almost 14% from the caliper and handheld and my jeans are now 3-4 sizes smaller :)

perhaps with sodium intake......but with measuring close to eating I've never noticed a difference. definitely with water intake.

we use the hand held bio impedance at work as well. to give you an idea of how off they are (sadly from personal experience) I had the similiar test done where a pad is attached to your hand and another your foot on the same side of your body. My results for 4 point higher and more accurate than with the hand held. :redface:

and skin fold......make sure you always have the same person do your measurements.

well if you want I can tell you. Although it requires you posting up a pic of yourself....clothing optional.:lol:

sorry....I had to.

:lol:loud

there are already too many pics posted, my friend. you just aren't checking the right threads. ;)

But, hopefully in the next 2 weeks by end of month, I will get into "the Dome" to get back to running and training.

Archived