LegacyGT.com

Diet/Workout Discussion Thread

i've been doing crossfit for 4+ years now. I don't religiously stick to the main site wod, but do a lot of my own stuff now.

i made my own bulgarian sand bag (I'll be buying a Suples bag soon) and bought the HIRTS...you might like it. Coach Ivanov is a really good guy

http://www.suples.com/

a couple of my homemade workouts I did when training for my 50 miler was 800 meters of lunges and then run 5 miles or run a mile for time carrying a 70lbs kettle bell and a 53lbs kettlebell. Give one of those a try if you get bored with your current routine. :)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ya, crossfit workouts are no joke, son! :lol:

I need to buy a 20# kettle bell, but they're like $50! :( I also need to get off my lazy ass in the mornings and do a quick light work out (intervals and kettle bell)

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Been doing Crossfit for about 8 months. Dropped from 180 to 153 and my Bodyfat is down to 11%. Not bad for a 45 year old. Love the workouts and the variations.

that's awesome. I really need to concentrate on dropping my body fat as well.

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since my last update... Progress has slowed noticeably, although it was mostly due to the two weeks of vacation I had. Missing time in the gym is doubly bad because when you get back you need to repeat a workout, forfeiting progress for that workout as well. So if you consider I missed ~10 out of 20 workouts and spent maybe 4 workouts just getting back to my previous level, it makes a lot more sense.

Enough chit-chat, here's my lifts to date:

Squat: 3x5x45 -> 5/5/4 @ 240lbs

Bench: 3x5x95 -> 3x5x150lbs

Deadlift: 1x5x95 -> 1x2x285lbs

Press: 3x5x45 -> 5/4/3 @ 105lbs

Power Cleans: 5x3x45 -> 5x3x105lbs

Bodyweight: 160 -> 182lbs

With the weight creeping higher I haven't had the energy to do dips or chins at the ends of my workout. This has been compounded by a nagging pain in my right elbow that develops after my squat work sets. I will be trying to get back to them soon though.

Other obvious points:

- Couldn't get more than two reps on the 285lb deadlift last Wednesday. I will be repeating that weight tonight.

- My bench is essentially stuck and has been for some time. Nothing really to do other than keep trying to up the ante.

- O'head Press, managed 3x5x102.5 last Monday but missed a total of 3 reps once I hit 105lbs. Will repeat 105lbs on Wednesday.

- Same old story with my bodyweight... Finally over the +20lb mark but with all my "skinny kid" clothes still fitting the same.

That's good news to hear.

The way I got my bench up is by doing more reps than you are doing. I did 10 reps of about 150 4x and then on the 5th set I put the weight up 5lbs per rep until I can't lift anymore. This has gotten me up about 30lbs on my bench lift in about a 3-4 week time period.

Great thread, just came accross it. Figured I would share my experience as I've been feeling pretty good about how things have been panning out, I'm 27. I realized a little over 3 months ago I was a fatty at 5"10, 196lbs due to too much indulging in unhealthy foods while not working out near enough. I was at the fringe of needing to purchase new pants to fit my gut into. I'm an ice hockey goalie and had 3 separate muscle pull injuries within 6 months after going the past 8 years prior with no injury, the one thing that had changed over the last year was my increase in weight. Finally hit a point that I knew a lifestyle change was in order to be a better hockey goalie and mainly just to avoid injury and also get me in the habit of living a healthy lifestyle.

Completely changed my eating habits over the first month of the lifestyle change, eat as much lean protein as possible, typically chicken, turkey or tuna, make sure to have a source of protein for lunch. Workout right after getting home from work. Always have protein of some form after a work out. Snack on vegatables and fruits instead of chips or deserts in the evening and throughout the work days in general. Haven't had an alcoholic beverage, soda or any sugar drinks in general the whole time I've been on the diet and have had some very promising results in culmination with my workout routine, been a lot easier to follow the diet when the fiance' has gone been doing this with me.

Been religiously working out since I started 7 days a week, currently on week 13. I had originally started off running an hour on the treadmill, typically 6 miles(1 hour) every other day, and lift on the two days between running days doing 6 different excerises 3sets of 12 reps(biceps, tri, shoulders, squats, back, and bench). On the two days I didn't lift or run I played my hockey games. For the last month I have done the same thing only adding an extra day of lifting to one of the game days started sprinting a mile after finishing my lifting on lift days. And on the game day I don't lift I run 1.5miles at my regular pace which is 6.7 just to get a little extra cardio in.

Sorry for the novel back story but my routine has worked out well for me and in the 13 weeks I've been doing my workout and eating healthy I've dropped 21lbs. Down to 175. I'm a much better goalie again, extremely explosive, can move side to side, get up and down like I was shot out of a cannon. Feel less tired in general and have increased weight on my lifting, 10-25lbs on my excercises and had started off running at a weak 5.0 on the treadmill to my current regular pace of 6.7. Things are going well, ideally want to be down to 155-160lbs in another 3 months and then would like to start my muscle building routine and doing a lot more weight with less reps on lifting and bulk up to 165lbs-170lbs of lean cut muscle.

Tommy, great progress. A little update for me as well. I've been doing Crossfit religiously now since the 2nd week of January. I'm 5' 8" and weighed in at 180lbs, 26.7% bodyfat. As of today I'm 152lbs and 10.2% bodyfat. The one thing I've learned is you have to do the diet with the exercise or you won't get the results you're looking for.

We just did our basline lifts again I couldn't be happier. The first number is February and the second is November.

Bench - 185lbs --> 230lbs (bw * 1.65)

DLs - 225lbs - 365lbs (bw * 2.25)

Front Squat - 145lbs - 215lbs (bw @1.5)

I'm actually going to give my body a break and take the last week of the year off. My old bones and joints could definitely. Then I start training for a race they call Tough Mudder. Check it out http://www.toughmudder.com

Good job on making the change Tommy. It's amazing how much of a difference shedding 10-20lbs can make for mobility. It sounds like you are on the right track to reaching your goals although I would suggest (free advice is worth every penny!) that you work on strength now and eat a maintenance diet and settle in at your target 165-170 (still too light for your height) rather than diet down to skeletor levels and bulk your way back up. You will reach your goal in half the time. Also, I noticed a distinct lack of lower body exercises in your list. Low-bar back squats, deadlifts and power cleans will add a ton of "explosiveness" to your game and make a solid foundation for your upper body work.

Not to sound like an infomercial but I definitely recommend Starting Strength or Practical Programming by Rippetoe & Kilgore for anyone wanting a very detailed yet concise read on strength training. The first book explains all the exercises (60 pages on the squat!) and the second goes into all the theory and application of the physiological side of training. Even if you don't do the SS program they are a great read with a ton of info.

subiedad51: Awesome DL! That is amazing for your weight. You must have short legs and long arms (being 5'8" doesn't hurt either). That's a great bench press too... I'm jealous.

How do you like those front squats? We do low-bar back squats to really bring the hamstrings and abductors into it. After we advance beyond to a higher-level intermediate program we may bring in some front squats, but I hope to have a solid 315lb LBBS by then.

LOL at the short legs and long arms. I'm sure being a bit vertically challenged helps but I do attribute alot of the gains to the amount of Leg and Core work we do. We do a bunch of workouts where the RX is 1 1/2 x bw on the DLs so we work them quite a bit. I like the front squats other than the wrist bending to get the bar properly situated. The hardest of the squats in my opinion is the overhead - give those a shot for some real overall body punishment.

Good job on making the change Tommy. It's amazing how much of a difference shedding 10-20lbs can make for mobility. It sounds like you are on the right track to reaching your goals although I would suggest (free advice is worth every penny!) that you work on strength now and eat a maintenance diet and settle in at your target 165-170 (still too light for your height) rather than diet down to skeletor levels and bulk your way back up. You will reach your goal in half the time. Also, I noticed a distinct lack of lower body exercises in your list. Low-bar back squats, deadlifts and power cleans will add a ton of "explosiveness" to your game and make a solid foundation for your upper body work.

Not to sound like an infomercial but I definitely recommend Starting Strength or Practical Programming by Rippetoe & Kilgore for anyone wanting a very detailed yet concise read on strength training. The first book explains all the exercises (60 pages on the squat!) and the second goes into all the theory and application of the physiological side of training. Even if you don't do the SS program they are a great read with a ton of info.

After being a chunky 195, I've just been really OCD about getting the weight off and resembling what I used to be.:redface: Thanks for the advice I will use it and work on incorporating some more lower body excersises to the work out and set my goal for 160 then really focus on changing the routine toward building my way up, seems like I will have no issue gaining weight I'm pretty well versed in doing it, unfortunately.

I hear you TP. I came down from 225ish to 160lbs and had a very hard time accepting the idea of putting weight back on during the strength building program. However, if you eat fairly cleanly while doing a strength program, the weight you put on will not even closely resemble the excess lbs you lost. I've put on ~22lbs in the last 3 months but I still fit in the same clothes as when I was 160lbs. People tell me that I look bigger in the right places which makes me look slimmer overall. When I was 160lbs I was just skinny but still flabby, now I'm skinny/normal thickness but with a bit more solid bulk underneath.

subiedad: I didn't mean to downplay your hard work to hit the 2.25x DL. It is very impressive either way.

We do standing o'head press on the "B" day with squats and power cleans. On bench/deadlift days I wish I was doing press/power clean and on press/power clean day I wish I was doing bench/deadlifts. :lol: They always seem easier on the off day!

Underdog - I knew you weren't - I work out with some pretty big guys and they always give me crap telling me I have short legs and it's not fair. Truth is being shorter does help on the DLs for sure but I'd happily trade a few pounds off the DL for a few more vertical inches :)

Tragedy strikes. I’ve been doing so well with working out and losing the weight but it will be a long time before I can run again, or work out in general for a while. 2 days after I posted my remark about my routine, I had an ice hockey game like I always do on Tuesday night and in warm-ups I dropped to make a save in the ‘butterfly’ position while my teammate came down on a breakaway. My teammate who is 6”5 300lbs tripped and fell on me while I was in a very vulnerable position, ended up having my leg fold and my foot almost touched my shoulder. Heard a loud pop come from my left knee and the rest is history. I am 90% sure I tore my ACL and possibly other tendons in my knee, I go in to see the orthopedic surgeon tomorrow morning.

I have tried to limp around yesterday and the day before as I have a very high pain threshold but the pain has gotten to the point it is excruciating. My mom is going to drop by my apartment tonight with an old set of crutches she has so I can take any weight off the injured leg. My season and likely my career playing goalie is over, been playing in net 16 years and just have been snake bitten with injuries this year. Didn’t take long to figure out I enjoy being healthy more than I love indulging in my passion playing goalie. At this point not being able to run for 2 days is killing me can’t imagine being another 6-9 months before I’m likely able to jog again if I’m fortunate. Disheartened to say the least but every dog has his day. I will probably wait a couple weeks till I go back to lifting and no leg exercises will be in the cards till I get medically cleared to do so. End rant.

damn! sorry to hear. so glad you aren't one of those "boo hoo" guys who calls it quits on exercise because of your knee.

If you've not already thought of it; I'd be looking for an ortho who works with athletes. Sure the surgery might be the same regardless of who you go to but the mentality is different. He'll have a better understanding of what you were doing before the injury and what you'll be able to do after the surgery. playing goalie maybe over, but maybe not playing hockey.

Also, consider utilizing a swimming pool to help build up strength in your leg. As you start getting cleared for lower body exercise you'll want to start hitting some functional exerices, sport specific and proprioceptive type exercises to help get you back.

Good luck!

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

damn! sorry to hear. so glad you aren't one of those "boo hoo" guys who calls it quits on exercise because of your knee.

If you've not already thought of it; I'd be looking for an ortho who works with athletes. Sure the surgery might be the same regardless of who you go to but the mentality is different. He'll have a better understanding of what you were doing before the injury and what you'll be able to do after the surgery. playing goalie maybe over, but maybe not playing hockey.

Also, consider utilizing a swimming pool to help build up strength in your leg. As you start getting cleared for lower body exercise you'll want to start hitting some functional exerices, sport specific and proprioceptive type exercises to help get you back.

Good luck!

Thanks man, Im going to need it. I'm praying by some miracle it's a partial tear. I will definitely be working out as soon as possible. As far as rehab goes on the knee I will rehab as hard as I can without risking further injury if there is a way. I won't be one of those guys looking for a reason to throw in the towel on working out, I'll be looking for a reason to work harder.

The orthopedic surgeon I'm going to see does specialize in sports, he actually performed ankle and knee surgery on a teammate, which is how I was recommended to him. Hopefully he's as good as I heard. Unfortunately playing goalie is over but I would like to return to playing forward in a year to a year and half when I'm confident in my knee again. Mainly I just want to be able to skate and run so I can stay in shape, I really hope to be able to light jog in 6 months. Probably wishful thinking but if there is a way I will be doing it.

Oh man! Knees and ankles, wrists, all those critical joints seem so vulnerable. I've been working non stop every day since I got back from vaca but 2 weeks ago injured my left knee during a dodge ball game (yes, we have a womens league and my vteam is currently #2). It just aches now with the cold temps. I don't have time or money to get to the doc and have it checked but I'm now missing the Jingle Bell Run 5K on Saturday I signed up for. Ironicaly it's to support arthritis. I hope my knee is better by the 10th when we play the #1 team again. Last time they only beat us by 1. I'm extremely competetive in this sport as its taken over boxing as my main anger management and stress relief outlet.

Oh and totally slacking on my working out since working 7 days/week.

Hope your knee feels better AK.

Oh and totally slacking on my working out since working 7 days/week.

Poor excuse for not working out though. Wifey and I are headed to the gym to get in as much as possible before work so that we can finish whatever is left in the .00001 seconds between getting home from work and a weekend of holiday parties/commitments. Of course, our strength workouts can be divided up without too much impact (redundant warm-up only) and not all workouts have that flexibility.

Get yo' ass to the gym! (as soon as your knee feels better!)

i think with this sort of injury it's going to require alot of dedication on your part to stay diligent to your rehab, stretching and doing the correct appropriate exercises.

Judging on how bad it is will tell you how much time you need to dedicate to rehabbing it.

Thanks man, Im going to need it. I'm praying by some miracle it's a partial tear. I will definitely be working out as soon as possible. As far as rehab goes on the knee I will rehab as hard as I can without risking further injury if there is a way. I won't be one of those guys looking for a reason to throw in the towel on working out, I'll be looking for a reason to work harder.

The orthopedic surgeon I'm going to see does specialize in sports, he actually performed ankle and knee surgery on a teammate, which is how I was recommended to him. Hopefully he's as good as I heard. Unfortunately playing goalie is over but I would like to return to playing forward in a year to a year and half when I'm confident in my knee again. Mainly I just want to be able to skate and run so I can stay in shape, I really hope to be able to light jog in 6 months. Probably wishful thinking but if there is a way I will be doing it.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Hope your knee feels better AK.

Poor excuse for not working out though. Wifey and I are headed to the gym to get in as much as possible before work so that we can finish whatever is left in the .00001 seconds between getting home from work and a weekend of holiday parties/commitments. Of course, our strength workouts can be divided up without too much impact (redundant warm-up only) and not all workouts have that flexibility.

Get yo' ass to the gym! (as soon as your knee feels better!)

With my weird hours, only times I can really go are at 1 am and then have to get up and be at work. I'm working min 70 hrs/wk with my next day off as Christmas Day. Not excuses, just reality. I still have dodge ball through Jan so that at least gives me some work out and they have open gym Tues until Jan. So going to try and hit that too. I could work out here but no shower. :(

Archived