LegacyGT.com

Diet/Workout Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
C'mon... c-lo, I'm lookin at you.

HI!!!! sorry, just found your thread. I'm not so sure your diet is spot on. at least from what you posted you do during the week. I'd have to see at least a couple days worth to tell you. including a weekend in would be good. and usually it's best when doing this to be very descriptive, what time you wake up and everything you put in your mouth and at one time.

As for your fitness goals. I love the cross fit mentality....now. a couple years ago I thought it was crap. but once I opened my eyes and saw the benefits I like it. too damn expensive for me to join up with one but I've adopted some of the stuff they do in their workouts in mine.

for your fitness goals this type of work outs can help. most cross fit locations post their workouts of the day. while i don't have all the equipment at the gym I work at that they do I will look at these workouts they've posted and do them. There's another cool site to check out: http://monkeybargym.com/ they've got some killer workouts you can do and post workouts of the day and week too. they are on FB, so if you are on you can get updates there.

back to your diet, you already know how important it is. sounds like you are on the right track, but you may need some tweaking. funny...I'm actually in the process of getting my sports nutrition cert. I can give guidance but I can't prescribe.

If you want to go that route let me know. I can refer you over to her; Darkfox used her and got some great results.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Cool thanks. Well the meal plan for my weekdays is pretty spot-on, I haven't cheated yet in the past 4 weeks, and I don't plan to (other than intended changes).

Here's the breakdown:

- Up @7AM

- Protein smoothie (4oz. of each of the following: light soy milk, pomegranate juice, blueberries, strawberries, 1 banana, two scoops of ON gold whey. This gets split in half between my wife and I) and cup of coffee @7:30AM

- Grapefruit @10AM

- Lunch @ 12PM

- Next snack @2:30-3PM

- Protein shake (w/ 1 tbsp of chunky, unsalted peanut butter, 1pc. dark unsweetened chocolate, skim milk) @ 6:30-7PM

- Another simple protein shake after workout @ 8-8:30PM

- Dinner @9-9:30PM

- Usually in bed by 11-11:30PM

I will track the weekends better and post it up, but I can't cram much more in my stomach than what's above. I tend to merge my snacks into the meals so my breakfast might be scrambled eggs with veggies and a banana and lunch might be a chourico sandwich or chicken and salad, etc...

I have a feeling I'm going to need to up my carbs to get to 40-30-30 @ 2000 calories. I will put the numbers together this weekend.

I would stick with salmon or any fish which are not farmed (salmon is farmed but in Chile, they just draw a net across the mouth of a bay). Tilapia is an evil Chinese conspiracy as Basa is the Vietnamese equivalent. Both are bottomfeeding garbage.

And use the elliptical machine. In 20 years you'll be glad you saved your knees.

I'm personally seeing a sports nutritionist. I've got about 5-10 lbs i want to drop to get to my goal weight for my upcoming races. going to be hard. so far I'm up to 5 servings of vegetables a day from 2-3. (bad I know) .

also started taking Greens Plus powder. http://greensplus.com/index.php/cPath/84_21_23 my recovery from hard rides has greatly improved not only from increasing my veggie intake but from taking this as well.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Guest LGT-NY

I'm 6'2" 210 - Athletic Build (with some hard to lose love handles)

My diet/workout plan:

Breakfast (7:00am):

Kashi Cereal - Organic 2% Milk

Banana

Animal Pak Vitamins http://www.supertrition.com/Product/Universal/Animal_Pak_44_pack_100196.aspx

9:30 Snack:

One scoop of Optimum Nutrition Oats and Whey http://www.supertrition.com/Product/Optimum_Nutrition/100_Natural_Whey_and_Oats_Chocolate_3lb_107612.aspx

Organic Apple

Lunch (12:00PM):

Sandwich -

Whole Wheat Bread (No high fructose CS)

Boars Head Chicken or turkey

Two slices of Muenster Cheese

Mustard (No MAYO!)

A piece of fruit, orange or w/e.

3:30 (Pre workout snack):

Half a PB&J -

1 slice of Whole Wheat bread

Organic Jelly (No high fructose CS)

Regular PB

4:30 (Pre work out drink):

1 scoop (5g) Glutamine Powder http://www.supertrition.com/Product/Optimum_Nutrition/Glutamine_1000mg_120_Capsules_105642.aspx

1 Scoop of NO Xplode (Grape is my favorite) http://www.supertrition.com/Product/BSN/No-Xplode_225lb_50_Servings_Grape_103456.aspx

5:00 GYM!

Rage - WORK OUT HARD! KILL IT, EVERY TIME! Weights - Moderate to heavy - High reps - Work until muscle failure. I usually work out for about 2:00 hours.

Snack - By this point I'm starving, I usually eat about two or three handfuls of mixed nuts to hold me over.

Cardio 1:00 hour (NO CHEATING! Push through)-

I switch it up between the treadmill (high incline, moderate speed)

Elliptical

Bike

Jump Rope

Plyometrics

I never do the same thing two days in a row

8:00 - Leave the gym.

Two scoops of ISOpure Protein and drink it on the way home from the gym. http://www.supertrition.com/Product/Natures_Best/Isopure_Low_Carb_Dutch_Chocolate_75lb_103970.aspx

Get home and immediately eat dinner.

Dinner:

Usually a nice hunk of meat - Not too much red meat (maybe once a week)

I eat about a half pound to a pound of either chicken of fish (tilapia, salmon, tuna, etc.)

A big bowl of salad or other greens.

And last but not least, make sure you rest. Listen to you body, if you need a day off, take one. I never work out more than four days in a row without taking a day off. Rest is an integral part of growth.

And use www.supertrition.com for all your supplement needs, they're in CT and ship SUPER fast and have unbeatable prices.

One big thing you need to do is lay off the shakes and have more "natural protein". Shakes are supplements and that is it. You shouldn't be relying on shakes for the majority of your protein.

Turkey

Chicken breast

Steak

More Tuna...etc etc.

If you're looking to stay lean but gain muscle you need to up your calories a bit but also keep all your food very clean. My best advice would be check out http://www.simplyshredded.com for good interviews with normal guys and IFBB pros.

Or bodybuilding.com for good articles on training.

Keep hitting it hard!!

I'm 6'2" 210 - Athletic Build (with some hard to lose love handles)

My diet/workout plan:

Breakfast (7:00am):

Kashi Cereal - Organic 2% Milk

Banana

Animal Pak Vitamins http://www.supertrition.com/Product/Universal/Animal_Pak_44_pack_100196.aspx

9:30 Snack:

One scoop of Optimum Nutrition Oats and Whey http://www.supertrition.com/Product/Optimum_Nutrition/100_Natural_Whey_and_Oats_Chocolate_3lb_107612.aspx

Organic Apple

Lunch (12:00PM):

Sandwich -

Whole Wheat Bread (No high fructose CS)

Boars Head Chicken or turkey

Two slices of Muenster Cheese

Mustard (No MAYO!)

A piece of fruit, orange or w/e.

3:30 (Pre workout snack):

Half a PB&J -

1 slice of Whole Wheat bread

Organic Jelly (No high fructose CS)

Regular PB

4:30 (Pre work out drink):

1 scoop (5g) Glutamine Powder http://www.supertrition.com/Product/Optimum_Nutrition/Glutamine_1000mg_120_Capsules_105642.aspx

1 Scoop of NO Xplode (Grape is my favorite) http://www.supertrition.com/Product/BSN/No-Xplode_225lb_50_Servings_Grape_103456.aspx

5:00 GYM!

Rage - WORK OUT HARD! KILL IT, EVERY TIME! Weights - Moderate to heavy - High reps - Work until muscle failure. I usually work out for about 2:00 hours.

Snack - By this point I'm starving, I usually eat about two or three handfuls of mixed nuts to hold me over.

Cardio 1:00 hour (NO CHEATING! Push through)-

I switch it up between the treadmill (high incline, moderate speed)

Elliptical

Bike

Jump Rope

Plyometrics

I never do the same thing two days in a row

8:00 - Leave the gym.

Two scoops of ISOpure Protein and drink it on the way home from the gym. http://www.supertrition.com/Product/Natures_Best/Isopure_Low_Carb_Dutch_Chocolate_75lb_103970.aspx

Get home and immediately eat dinner.

Dinner:

Usually a nice hunk of meat - Not too much red meat (maybe once a week)

I eat about a half pound to a pound of either chicken of fish (tilapia, salmon, tuna, etc.)

A big bowl of salad or other greens.

And last but not least, make sure you rest. Listen to you body, if you need a day off, take one. I never work out more than four days in a row without taking a day off. Rest is an integral part of growth.

And use www.supertrition.com for all your supplement needs, they're in CT and ship SUPER fast and have unbeatable prices.

Haha how's your piss??? That animal-pak shit makes my piss nuclear.

Guest LGT-NY

Oh yeah, that reminds me, drink a SHIT-TON of water! :lol:

I usually drink about 2 gallons a day at least. :D

(Yes, I pee a lot)

Darkfox is sitting in his Corvette talking to it, don't think he's on here much anymore:lol:

Ruskibear......fresh and frozen. frozen I steam fresh i eat fresh.

my diet:

4:30AM: coffee, 2 eggs 1 yolk with spinach and peppers wrapped in a slice of turkey meat, 1/2 cup granola or kashi and 3 scoops greens + and OJ

7:30-8am: rolled oats with raisins and a scoop of almond butter or a clif bar with 2 egg whites and 1 1/2 cup fresh veggies

11-11:30am: turkey sandwich with 1 1/2 cup fresh veggies or chicken and veggies, etc.....

2pm: depending on what my 8am snack was: clif bar and eggs, or banana/almond butter sandwich with a protein shake

5-6pm: chicken and veggies, steak and veggies 1 1/2 cups again.

8pm: protein smootie.

and plenty of water. (most of the time)

Thanks for all the good info guys. It looks like you are both eating a bunch more than I am. A lot of carbs from grains too... Of course, you are both considerably more active than I am and have more lean muscle, so you have the metabolism to support that kind of diet.

I've got a lot to think about now. I'm excited to see what my carb/pro/fat breakdown is so I can make changes going forward.

Ben, what do you think about the glutamine and NO2 supplements? Right now I'm just taking a daily multi and the whey protein. Aside from mixing in some casein, I'm considering the glutamine/BCAA supplements and possibly a kre alkalyn (like creatine) regimen. Maybe for a moderate workout goer like myself it's not needed?

Guest LGT-NY

Ben, what do you think about the glutamine and NO2 supplements? Right now I'm just taking a daily multi and the whey protein. Aside from mixing in some casein, I'm considering the glutamine/BCAA supplements and possibly a kre alkalyn (like creatine) regimen. Maybe for a moderate workout goer like myself it's not needed?

I love the NO Xplode, I feel like I can't work out without it. Srsly. When I drink it I feel like I'm ******* invincible! :lol: It basically dilates your blood vessels and gives you that ridiculous pump. I'm afraid someone might try and and start a fight with me one day after I've drank it and I might just rip their face off uncontrollably. :lol:

Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid found in the human body and is integral to protein synthesis and muscle growth. As stated, it is naturally produced in the body, but not at high enough levels for the muscle gains workout enthusiasts are looking for. :)

• 2 months later...

Quick update (inspired by Darkfox1's amazing progress)...

After two months of sticking to my routing at the gym I decided to switch to a new workout plan. My first plan went like this:

M - Cardio (Variety)

T - Core Workout (+ 15min Elliptical)

W - Chest/Back (+ 15min Elliptical)

R - Arms/Shoulders (+ 15min Elliptical)

F - Legs (+ 15min Elliptical)

The plan involved a two week rotation with the above format. I modified the exercises between the first and second week to mix things up. Also, I was using low weight and doing high-reps with a variety of exercises so that I could get all my supporting muscles working again, really just to help prevent injury (and not look like a fool). Workouts typically lasted 1.5hrs.

The goal for my new plan was/is to get more of my body involved with each workout, use "bigger" exercises rather than focused exercises, and to test how far I can push myself without just using weights. Also, I wanted to build in some flex time so that if I miss a day out of the week I haven't shifted everything drastically. Here's what I came up with:

M - Core/Chest/Shoulder (+ 30min Elliptical)

T - 30min Stretching (+ 30min Elliptical)

W - Arms/Back (+ 15min Rowing Machine)

R - 30min Stretching (+ 30min Elliptical)

F - Legs/Core (+ 30min Elliptical)

I do pull-ups, chin-ups, push-ups, dips, etc... all "body-weight" exercises, which I really enjoy because I could barely do them at all when I was 220lbs. In conjunction with the workout my wife and I take a Salsa dancing class on Thursdays and we are looking to start a power yoga class in the near future. Laugh if you want but it is awesome.

I've added a bit more carbs to the diet now that my metabolism seems to be able to handle it. More-or-less the same diet plan as when I started but I'll have my tuna with two pieces of whole grain bread, or have some toast w/ natural PB when I get home from work. I've added more fruit to my protein smoothies... at least two bananas a day along with blueberries, strawberries, and then grapefruit and oranges as snacks.

We eat a ton of fish and chicken for dinner, but twice as much vegetables. Cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, carrots, corn, sweet potato, squash, onion, pepper, mushrooms, etc... Way more variety than I ever used to eat.

For supplements I am still doing the whey protein shakes but I throw in some casein for my last shake before bed. I am also taking the ON Optimen multivitamin and one fish oil sup. and one flax seed oil sup. per day. I decided against the creatine or NO boosters for the time being. No regrets so far!

I'm always looking for new workout suggestions so feel free to post them up! I can post my actual workout plan in excel if anyone cares...

cool man, sounds like you are on the right track. Love body weight exercises. lots of good stuff you can do with no weights.

this is a good site for ideas. you may be limited based on equipment, but on FB they post up workouts too.

http://monkeybargym.com/

Wow, that is an awesome concept for a gym. I would love to do that kind of stuff on the weekends (like when I was a kid)...

I wish I could quit my job and just work out full-time! It's great when you reach the point where going to the gym every day is rewarding and something you look forward to.

Wow, that is an awesome concept for a gym. I would love to do that kind of stuff on the weekends (like when I was a kid)...

I wish I could quit my job and just work out full-time! It's great when you reach the point where going to the gym every day is rewarding and something you look forward to.

*sigh* I took about 6 months off end of last year to this year to work out and regain myself. I worked out 2-3 times a day, 6 days a week. running, weights, cardio and boxing. lots and lots of boxing... 2 hrs every day for 6 days/week. watched what I ate, more veggies, etc. dropped 45 lbs over that time frame and have been able to keep it off give or take fluctuating 5 lbs. Now, as OP has stated, I want to get my body fat down so I'm leaner. But don't have the time to invest in those workouts since I now am back to working 11 hrs/day. :( lame!

but good work and I find it very interesting to see others work out and diet regimes to give myself ideas.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

• 1 month later...

It's been another two months and I've decided to reevaluate my program again. For the June-July program I had started switching away from all isolated exercises with a lot of machines to include some more bodyweight compound exercises. I did notice a slight increase in overall strength and muscle tone but I felt like I could still push it further because I wasn't seeing any real strength gains day-to-day or even week-to-week. Yes, I can do many more push-ups, chin-ups and dips than I used to, but overall I am still very lean except for the remanants of my gut.

In the process of doing research for my third workout routing I discovered the book Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. I just ordered the book recently but I read an authorised "summary" of the program on bodybuilding.com (LINK). The program is designed for complete novices in the gym, and once I looked past my ego I realized that's exactly what I am. The program is extremely simple and uses 5 very big compound exercises: the back squat, bench press, deadlift, and power clean or standing press (I use the press), and the standing row. It is seperated into A and B days and goes like this:

"A"

(Set x Reps)

3x5 Squat

3x5 Bench

1x5 Deadlift

"B"

3x5 Squat

3x5 Press

3x5 Row

Wk#1 goes:

M - A

T - Stretch & Light Cardio

W - B

R - Stretch & Light Cardio (& Salsa class)

F - A

For week #2 you invert the A and B days.

All three sets are done at the same weight (you ramp up with your warmup sets). There is a strong emphasis on using proper form throughout the workload and also on seeing gains, more weight on the bar, every time you step in the gym. The ultimate goal is to build a strong base from which to develop your future weightlifting program. You end up working out your entire body three times a week and believe me, these exercises to hit everything if you follow the advice on how to execute them properly.

I did add a little bit of "accessory work"... I do 2 sets of dips and a set of side/standard planks on the "A" day, and 2 sets of chin-ups on the "B" day.

So that's it, an extremely simple program that gets you in and out of the gym in an hour or less (I do some light cardio to warmup and cool down), build strength everywhere without necessarily making you an ogre, and reinforces good technique and making advancements every workout!

Nutrition-wise, things are mostly the same. I'm still eating lean and clean although with a bit more variety than I used to. My weight hit rock bottom in June-July with an all-time low of 160lbs. Since then it has rebounded slightly to 165, but I am hopeful that is my body putting on some muscle and not fat.

I'll be sure to post up how this routine works for me... you can probably tell I'm pretty excited about it! :)

Archived